PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Bush

Jeze2903
11th April 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm having a problem with fitting the original Sierra steering column bush through the bulkhead. The rubber bush seems very tight in the bulkhead hole. Am I missing something or just being a bit thick!!

Does anyone have some fitting advice or a picture?

flyerncle
11th April 2010, 01:34 PM
Hole in bracket should be 40mm and the whole idea of it is to be tight,it should in effect form a firewall seal as in the Sierra.
I fitted mine yesterday (fabricated in 3mm courtesy of Saturn)and it's a perfect fit.

Push the large rubber into the hole,dome face to engine bay side then fit round bush into it with the aid of a small screwdriver to gently lever the lip over,the other part fits on the column and the washer slides down to secure it all together.

Good luck.

Jeze2903
11th April 2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for this. However still can't get the plastic collar into the rubber. I take it the plastic collar is fitted from the inside of the car?

deezee
11th April 2010, 02:20 PM
Doesn't matter which way the plastic collar is fitted in? Just push the rubber ring into the bulkhead (as flyerncle said - dome towards engine) then just pop the plastic inner ring into place to hold the rubber into place.

Bonzo
11th April 2010, 02:23 PM
Yes the plastic inner section fits from inside the car.

They can be a real pain to get in ..... As for replacing one on a Sierra, don't even want to go there :eek:

It may help if you lubricate the rubber with a little soap, it'll help to prevent the plastic draging on the rubber ;)

If re-using the original, make sure it is in tip top condition !! .... A fraction of play between the two plastic parts, will seem like a mile at the wheel .... A very frequent MOT failure on the Sierra.

New bush kits are to be had on Ebay, for not a lot :)

Jeze2903
11th April 2010, 06:52 PM
Still no luck:confused:
The plastic collar keeps jumping out of the rubber bush, even after applying soap.
I've measured the part of the rubber bush that sits in the bulkhead hole, and it is 43.5mm, with the plastic collar fitted. The hole in the bulkhead is 40mm.
Does this sound correct anyone!!!!
The Bush set is brand new from Ford and has a part number 83BB-3513-AC on the rubber item. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Anymore help great appreciated:confused:

flyerncle
11th April 2010, 07:23 PM
I fitted it dry as this way it wont slide about in the rubber,it is a fiddle about but it will go in and I think there is a round end to it and ridges on the other edge to keep it in place .I will try to post a pic tomorrow after work and maybe it will make it more clear,it will fit, just a pain and fiddly to do.

Jeze2903
11th April 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Flyerncle, I tried fitting it dry to start with but it was nowhere near then. If you could post a pic it would be much appreciated. I think so far on my build this has been the most difficult part to do:eek:

mark
11th April 2010, 08:09 PM
Mine was the same there was absolutely no way it would fit in the hole :D

I had to open up the hole slightly until it would go in, dont over do it though as it needs to be tight, i didnt need to take much out before it would go in.

I think there must be some differences in the rubbers people have as the scenario i just described was with the doner sierra parts, but when i got a replacement bush set from saturn the hole was a little large for the new rubber so i had to use the old rubber with the new bushes,there is absolutely no play in the column whatsoever now so was ok in the end.

Bonzo
11th April 2010, 10:29 PM
I think there must be some differences in the rubbers people have as the scenario i just described was with the doner sierra parts, but when i got a replacement bush set from saturn the hole was a little large for the new rubber so i had to use the old rubber with the new bushes,there is absolutely no play in the column whatsoever now so was ok in the end.

There may be something in that Mark :)

Mine was a ebay aftermarket part .... It was a tad fiddly to get in but holds the steering column rock steady.

Perhaps the Genuine ford unit is slightly larger ??

twinturbo
11th April 2010, 10:42 PM
The one on my sapphire went in no issue... Need to fit the bulkhead to the Roadster before trying that one...

TT

flyerncle
12th April 2010, 07:35 PM
I will try to get a pic posted but have spent some part of today removing a g/box from a poxy Scooby WRX so I am well peeved cos it dont want to come out !

I did have another look at the parts (from Saturn) and as I said they fit no bother into book spec bracket although it is made in 3mm and the plate is as well,the pedal box is made to my spec .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30468413@N03/4515391068/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30468413@N03/4514754649/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30468413@N03/4514752869/
These may help but as Bonzo said you may need to open up the hole slightly to ease the rubber in and if you look at the large center bush it should in my humble opinion be fitted with the slightly rounded side facing the column bush to ease fitting as the tapered part allows the bush to enter easily(naughty comments on a postcard please) into the plastic housing in the rubber bush,if you feel the need to use any lube I would use silicone as grease and oil may attack the plastic.

Best of Luck.

Jeze2903
16th April 2010, 04:14 PM
I've slightly increased the size of the 40mm hole in the bulkhead, and it all goes together fine.
I guess, it is possible, that Ford changed the rubber collar during the production life of the Sierra requiring a slightly larger bulkhead hole?

All sorted now, thanks for your replies :D

Bonzo
16th April 2010, 04:27 PM
Glad your sorted mate :cool:

All part of the trials & tribulations of building the Roadster :)

I bet that now Ash is driving his build .... All of the low point's are a distant memory :D :D

spud69
16th April 2010, 05:17 PM
Glad your sorted mate :cool:

All part of the trials & tribulations of building the Roadster :)

I bet that now Ash is driving his build .... All of the low point's are a distant memory
:D

What low points.....Even the IVA is a distant memory.....;)