PDA

View Full Version : mounting center bearing

layotn20
13th April 2010, 07:36 PM
when fitting my center bearing on my prop shaft, can i place a 3mm plate from tt2 to tt3 as a mounting brackett?

layotn20
14th April 2010, 10:41 PM
any ideas?

twinturbo
14th April 2010, 10:46 PM
You should not need the center bearing, the prop is usualy done as a single section unit.

TT

layotn20
14th April 2010, 11:22 PM
You should not need the center bearing, the prop is usualy done as a single section unit.

TT

running zx9r though mate so got to have it aint i ?

twinturbo
15th April 2010, 06:41 AM
right, yes you would probably need it.

the front part of the shaft is normaly running in the same axis as the geabox output with as little deveation from this as possible to prevent strain on the dog chew and avoid unwanted vibrations.

TT

layotn20
15th April 2010, 10:17 AM
ok cheers, so could i put a plate straight across from rails tt1 to tt2. or have i got to do a little plate either side? obviously its to mount the center bearing

twinturbo
15th April 2010, 10:41 AM
Not got my book to hand, remember that in the donor the bearing is Above the mounting point.
TT

HandyAndy
15th April 2010, 12:15 PM
ok cheers, so could i put a plate straight across from rails tt1 to tt2. or have i got to do a little plate either side? obviously its to mount the center bearing

I,m not sure how you mean by putting a plate across from TT1 to TT2??

Depending on the position of the bearing in the prop you could put a plate across between TT2 & TT3( like the original book spec gearbox mount position) or across between the 2 TT1 tubes,
If poss try to raise the bearing so that it isn,t below the bottom face of the lower chassis rails, ( tho I presume that depends on the height of the gearbox output shaft position ) .
Also give thought to the routing of the fuel lines/brake lines & electrics when passing the bearing carrier, as fuel & electrics need to be spaced apart as much as possible.

hope this helps

cheers
andy

layotn20
15th April 2010, 12:31 PM
I,m not sure how you mean by putting a plate across from TT1 to TT2??

Depending on the position of the bearing in the prop you could put a plate across between TT2 & TT3( like the original book spec gearbox mount position) or across between the 2 TT1 tubes,
If poss try to raise the bearing so that it isn,t below the bottom face of the lower chassis rails, ( tho I presume that depends on the height of the gearbox output shaft position ) .
Also give thought to the routing of the fuel lines/brake lines & electrics when passing the bearing carrier, as fuel & electrics need to be spaced apart as much as possible.

hope this helps

cheers
andy
cheers for the info. my mistake, i did mean tt2 n tt3. so i can put a plate straight across from tt2-tt3. as some people tend to do this -
http://www.roebuck.eclipse.co.uk/pics/photos020727/124-2476_img.jpg

HandyAndy
15th April 2010, 12:40 PM
cheers for the info. my mistake, i did mean tt2 n tt3. so i can put a plate straight across from tt2-tt3. as some people tend to do this -
http://www.roebuck.eclipse.co.uk/pics/photos020727/124-2476_img.jpg

Having looked at that picture you,ve attached then yes, I,d go for that, tho i personally would put the plate all the way across between the TT2 & TT3 tubes, to strengthen the mounting & avoid weakening the mounting bracket.
Might also be worth fitting a "safety loop" further down the trans tunnel ( near to the seat area) just in case the prop decides to let go.

cheers
andy

layotn20
15th April 2010, 12:42 PM
Having looked at that picture you,ve attached then yes, I,d go for that, tho i personally would put the plate all the way across between the TT2 & TT3 tubes, to strengthen the mounting & avoid weakening the mounting bracket.
Might also be worth fitting a "safety loop" further down the trans tunnel ( near to the seat area) just in case the prop decides to let go.

cheers
andy

so mount it like the photo but send the plate straight across rails tt2 tt3 for my strength. and what do you mean by safety loop?

HandyAndy
15th April 2010, 12:51 PM
so mount it like the photo but send the plate straight across rails tt2 tt3 for my strength. and what do you mean by safety loop?

yes, make the mounting plate to go straight across between TT2 & TT3,

A safety loop can be made from 25mm box tube, basically its just a square cage that will help prevent the prop coming into the cockpit or dropping down onto the road if it decides to break away from the gearbox output shaft or from its bearing carrier.
Just weld a square frame around the prop across from the 2 TT1 tubes just rearward of the TT4 uprights, but make the square big enough that the prop has enough space to rotate ( allow a 2 inch gap around the prop, also big enough to allow you to remove the prop if need be), this is just a safety precaution to save your legs in the event of a prop failure, its not an IVA requirement but will be looked upon as a good safety measure by the IVA inspector I,m sure.

cheers
andy

ozzy1
15th April 2010, 01:05 PM
As andy says plates across tt2/tt3,this was done on my f27 with zx9 motor.Also the hoop is a good idea as if it breaks near the front then the car could flip.:eek: