PDA

View Full Version : welding settings

DaveyB
13th April 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi,
has anyone used a clarke 151 TE to weld the chassis with? i purchased one recently but haven't used it yet. Can anyone give me an idea of the appropriate settings for welding the chassis rails.And does it need to go into a30 amp cooker style socket or will the normal plug sockets be ok.
Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.:confused:

Tatey
13th April 2010, 11:17 PM
I have the Clarke 151EN which is pretty much the same welder. A standard 13amp socket works perfectly fine. And the power setting will depend on what size mig wire you are using along with the shielding gas.

I use 0.8mm wire with co2 shielding gas and have it set to either the 3rd highest or the 2nd highest setting with a wire speed of 6.

Have a play around with the welder before welding the chassis, make sure yourself a shelving unit like I did, it helps you improve your welding, as well as getting used to your welders 'temperament'.

spud69
14th April 2010, 08:01 AM
I use a similar welder Dave and each one will have its own idiosynchrosies (long word for this time of morning). I use second highest out of 4 with a speed of 6 but then we use 2mm box section for 16 gauge as ginge says 3rd setting should be fine. Practice on a few sections first to get you penetration.

Mine is a great little welder but i'm sick of it overheating on constant use so about to upgrade to a Portamig 185, made in the UK and gets great reviews.

Enjoy.....AndyH

dogwood
14th April 2010, 08:09 AM
As Spud says, they do overheat somewhat..
I welded with it set on "1 and high", found that higher than "2 and low" :confused:

AshG
14th April 2010, 09:00 AM
portamigs are nice welders spud. are you getting it from weldquip? when you use it you will wonder why you mucked about with a clarke for so long.

deezee
14th April 2010, 09:14 AM
Or just get hold of a damaged Lincoln Electric V160-TP that someone thought was broken and it was just a busted switch! Saving of over £800. Super Bargain!

AshG
14th April 2010, 09:23 AM
i have got a migtronic, can weld box section all day without it cutting out :D

spud69
14th April 2010, 09:37 AM
Portamig is from Weldequip Ash, but they are made to order - 5 to 7 days. But i want it NOW, got a lot of welding to do and am pissed with mine overheating now, has been a good welder though....:(

Sounds like you got a bargain there Dogwood....;)

DaveyB
14th April 2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I'll have to try some settings as suggested and see what results i get.
Thanks again.

Dave.

ACE HIGH
15th April 2010, 02:58 AM
I built a steel 32 ft yacht 36 years ago with a 150 amp arc welder,it overheated badly so I set up a 12 V car battery alongside it with a heater fan,it was a standard Smiths type probably from a Rover 90,it worked a treat.
Or simply buy a 240 v electric fan and with a bit of playing around with cardboard or ply make up an intake for it,even drill a hole or holes in the side.
The old smiths heater fans put out a huge volume of air,I assume modern fans are just as good,flog the one out of your donor!
Maybe a bit of roof drainage pipe throught a hole in the side will do it.David
:D

spud69
15th April 2010, 08:55 AM
Thats a good plan ACE, i tried similar myself but it didn't work for me.

Deciding now whether to go for a new Portamig or a Lorch Pro Synergic.

AndyH

Coozer
15th April 2010, 09:48 AM
Ooo, I have a Portamig 185 from and its great... doesn't like a 13amp plug though, a 16amp commando is the required item, simple to wire into a spur.

Steve

ACE HIGH
15th April 2010, 10:02 AM
Maybe a vacuum cleaner,either blowing or sucking,perhaps remove bag and final filter, will cool your welder.Only a small hole will be needed or use the fan head.
I painted an Austin Kimberley with a vacuum cleaner 30 years ago using oil based house paint and a very good job it did too! Cheap and quite pro.
I also stuffed my wifes vacuum cleaner 30 years ago when I accidentally "sucked instead of blowed" the red hot charcoal ashes from a producer gas unit I made for an old Massey Harris Tractor.Yes it worked well.David:mad:

Coozer
15th April 2010, 10:03 AM
Now then, that's talent!

ACE HIGH
15th April 2010, 10:05 AM
Perhaps an electric garden vacuum/blower,a huge volume of air?????David :)

spud69
15th April 2010, 10:05 AM
Hi Steve,

Your 60x40x3mm box section is coming in tomorrow, 6m length for £20.

If you come down in your everyday car you could take the mig gas bottle with you.

AndyH

Coozer
15th April 2010, 10:11 AM
Cheers Andy, yep, that's the plan. See you Saturday!:) :)

Cheers!