PDA

View Full Version : Good Free 3D CAD

twinturbo
14th April 2010, 06:46 PM
Can anyone recomend a good, free , 3D cad package..

Since using Autocad 18 years ago I have struggled to find a package that's useable and free that does not require a degree in astro physics to understand!!!

Anyone got any Gems ?

TT

gingea1pom
14th April 2010, 07:06 PM
TT

I have wasted a whole weekend on Google sketch up (http://sketchup.google.com/download/), worked for me.

Cheers Ginge

Chris Gibbs
14th April 2010, 07:12 PM
What's it for mate?

If it's just general drawing I'd recommed Google Sketchup http://sketchup.google.com/ It's free and very easy to learn - It's what I used for the colour drawings in the book.

If it's more technical stuff there's DoublecadXT http://www.doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCADXT/tabid/1100/Default.aspx again it's free and very like Autocad, which might be a drawback - it's quite difficult to learn.

Cheers

Chris

twinturbo
14th April 2010, 07:27 PM
I was wanting to do my own chassis drawings, could not get Google Ketchup to download last time I tried but may give it another go, last time I used it I got a bit frustrated with some isseus with it.. but that was 3 years ago

I think I have tried DoubleCad.. May revisit that one

Usualy I find that entering absolute dimensions is not possible and you have to guess the lenght when drawing the object.

Cheers

TT

eSteve
14th April 2010, 07:56 PM
twin turbo,

Do you mean you cannot enter precise dimensions with Sketchup or DoubleCAD?

It's certainly possible with SketchUp, just type the dimension in as you are drawing (and the units if the dimensions are not the base units of your template) and the line, surface etc, will be made the size you type.

I have had a few goes with Sketchup over the last few years and never really gained enough knowledge to do anything reasonable with it, but over the last weeks, I have been drawing a few Roadster parts with it and after a few hours practice can now do some useful work with it. So I'd recommend Sketchup. Have a look at the video tutorials, (on YouTube or Google Sketchup site) each only lasts a few minutes and are very useful as you can just watch particular ones as you need them and as your skills improve.

eSteve

tkpm
14th April 2010, 09:09 PM
You could try this http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/index.php

i just print off the drawing when i finish

Terry

twinturbo
14th April 2010, 09:15 PM
guess i will give it a go, may have a play if I have some time at work tomorrow.

Could do with something running on linux realy as I have a Dell Precision workstation that I hardly use :rolleyes:

TT

Land Locked
15th April 2010, 07:55 AM
guess i will give it a go, may have a play if I have some time at work tomorrow.

Could do with something running on linux realy as I have a Dell Precision workstation that I hardly use :rolleyes:

TT

Qcad seems to be the best on linux at the moment, but it's a sod to use.

twinturbo
15th April 2010, 03:11 PM
Had a play with Ketchup again, found that using rectangles was a waste of time and simple lines seemes quicker.

Can't work out how to copy a object and then past it "offset" ie copying a botom frame to make a top frame directly above... any clues?

Did find a nice Roadster/Locost hybrid chassis already modled.

TT

eSteve
15th April 2010, 06:42 PM
twimTurbo,

you need to persevere with those rectangles. Since a rectangle is a surface which in Sketchup can be made in to a 3D object by use of the PushPull tool.

I gather you have drawn the chassis in 2D with a collection of lines, so as you have a representation of fig 4.2 in your Sketchup model. Is that correct?

Think more about planes (surfaces) rather than lines.

Strangely enough lines on their own aren't much good in Sketchup for modelling 3D objects. Having used the more 'engineering' type CAD packages, I was drawn in (no pun intended) to using Sketchup with this approach of creating drawings with lines. But really you want to be drawing rectangles (to draw a rectangle and before releasing the mouse button type the size (e.g. 1000mm,200mm) and then release, this will give you a rectangle to say representing the underside of a bottom rail) to create the components of the chassis. Create all the reactangles required to create the frame. Arrange them togther, the angled one are a bit fun to get lined up and then use the PushPull tool to 'lift' each reactangle by 25mm. Thus you will get a 3D model of the bottom chassis rails.

I know it's frustrating but getting the hang of this will get you a long long way on getting to grips with Sketchup and it being useful. As I said before, I had two or three attempts at getting Sketchup to do what I wanted, but a bit of determination and a study of the tutorials will help.

The best tip is to stop thinking like a draughtsman would, i.e. as one would when drawing with a pencil ruler and drawing board, and go along with the surfaces approach used by Sketchup.

Don't give up.:)

GraemeWebb
15th April 2010, 07:02 PM
twimTurbo,

you need to persevere with those rectangles. Since a rectangle is a surface which in Sketchup can be made in to a 3D object by use of the PushPull tool.

I gather you have drawn the chassis in 2D with a collection of lines, so as you have a representation of fig 4.2 in your Sketchup model. Is that correct?

Think more about planes (surfaces) rather than lines.

Strangely enough lines on their own aren't much good in Sketchup for modelling 3D objects. Having used the more 'engineering' type CAD packages, I was drawn in (no pun intended) to using Sketchup with this approach of creating drawings with lines. But really you want to be drawing rectangles (to draw a rectangle and before releasing the mouse button type the size (e.g. 1000mm,200mm) and then release, this will give you a rectangle to say representing the underside of a bottom rail) to create the components of the chassis. Create all the reactangles required to create the frame. Arrange them togther, the angled one are a bit fun to get lined up and then use the PushPull tool to 'lift' each reactangle by 25mm. Thus you will get a 3D model of the bottom chassis rails.

I know it's frustrating but getting the hang of this will get you a long long way on getting to grips with Sketchup and it being useful. As I said before, I had two or three attempts at getting Sketchup to do what I wanted, but a bit of determination and a study of the tutorials will help.

The best tip is to stop thinking like a draughtsman would, i.e. as one would when drawing with a pencil ruler and drawing board, and go along with the surfaces approach used by Sketchup.

Don't give up.:)

Just got TurboCAD this week and have just had a quick look at and found it a bit confusing. But I think that you hit the nail on the head as I was trained as draughtsman (pen and paper type) and I’ve realised that I cannot approach it in the way I used to when on the drawing board. I guess I will have to read the manual!!.
Anyone with experience of TurboCAD that could offer any advice I would be grateful.

eSteve
15th April 2010, 08:48 PM
twinTurbo,

have a search for 'Haynes Roadster' in Sketchup 3D warehouse now. I have uploaded my partial model of the chassis, only bottom rails so far, but maybe it might give you a bit of a start. Some detail around the angle joints needs improving but it's accurate to about 0.5 mm. If you or anyone else finds inaccuracies in it then let me know as it is a work in progress and I can update it.

Hope that helps.

twinturbo
15th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Well after a couple of hours i have got this far.. It's fiddly sometimes, especialy when trying to use the protractor etc..

But happy so far :)

TT

eSteve
16th April 2010, 07:50 AM
Looking good, good progress, looks to me like you've got it sorted. Yes the protractor is a little tricky to use, particularly when trying to rotate items to touch or line up with others.

twinturbo
21st April 2010, 10:06 PM
I found out today from one of my colleagues....

Solidworks is on our systems at work. I guess I should pay more attention to what the Junior Tech's are being asked to install on the network...

TT