PDA

View Full Version : Roadster Owners Club

Pages : [1] 2

HandyAndy
17th April 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

I have a suggestion to make............

Whilst reading the current issue of Complete Kit Car magazine ( reading it again as I like to glean as much info as possible :o ), something suddenly dawned upon me ........in the magazine there is a double page listing showing all known "Owners Clubs" giving contact info etc,

then I realised as I searched for the "Haynes Roadster" contact info that there isn,t such information available to folk who read this magazine ( & others within the Kit car world ).

We have this fantastic forum which is without doubt a huge help to all builders / possible future builders / people with an interest in the Roadster as well as being a focal point of the membership for all things "Roadster".

We have some fantastic suppliers, all offering products aimed at aiding the Roadster builder ....Saturn / Talon / 3GE & others ( me too :D ).

We have Roadster cars registered on the road, both via SVA & IVA, plus over 100 builds currently on the go.

We have an immense depth of knowledge thoughout the forum membership covering practically every aspect of building the Roadster.

The one thing we DON,T have is a "Roadster Owners Club"

So, excuse my ramblings :o

I propose that such an owners club be created, If Mr Gibbs is willing then i,d suggest that he be the Chairperson,
we would need a
Secretary ( admin )
Treasurer ( poss for a yearly subscription of membership to cover costs of admin etc, if the forum thinks this is needed)

My idea is just a suggestion & would welcome your thoughts, both positive & negative, but from small acorns grow big tree,s . I feel we should be able to let the various kit car magazines know that we excist etc.

So guys........what do YOU ALL think?

cheers
andy

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 10:16 PM
was thinking similar last week.

Happy to help in whatever way I can.

But... Although I am a computer systems Manager/Engineer... Dont ask for a website cos I know Jack when it comes to that :)

TT

gingea1pom
17th April 2010, 10:21 PM
Andy,

From the front row HERE HERE.

Fantastic Idea would love to help in any way, defiantly not volunteering for a job, I would not be able to give the club the continuity that is required (they keep sending me away!!)

We would be able to have a club polo shirt, AGM’s and membership numbers and everything (some of that is tongue in cheek)

Good idea.

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 10:29 PM
Well I am a member of 2 club and fund 2 forums . ( gave up on giving money to two clubs due to silly forum rulz)

The car is now taking of and the Lost club no longer seem to operate so there may well be an oportunity for a comunity club.

TT

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 10:33 PM
we obviously can't use the haynes name without written permission.

TT

HandyAndy
17th April 2010, 10:34 PM
we obviously can't use the haynes name without written permission.

TT

Thats why I suggested the "Roadster Owners Club" ;) :)

cheers
andy

Bonzo
17th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Me being of the old school, would be more than willing to pay a modest subscription for membership of a Haynes Roadster Club. :D

I guess finding a person who has the time & resources to handle all of the admin involved will prove to be the sticking point .... My hand would be up like a shot but as some of you know, my health is a bit too unreliable for such a comitment :(

ChrisG did explain to me the reasons as to why the Locost club is closed to new subscriptions .... I am sure that he would be more than happy to be an honourary Chairperson/president, provided that no admin dutys are involved ;)

Love to see a club get off the ground though & fully agree with you Andy :)

gingea1pom
17th April 2010, 10:45 PM
Might I suggest.

“The Roadster Builds Club”

I feel it is more akin to what we are, as ‘owning’ is only a small part of what we do and, it will set us apart from all the ‘owners’ clubs.

Kind of explains us as a club in the name.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
17th April 2010, 10:53 PM
cheers for the input TT / Ginge / Ronnie..:cool:

without pushing myself to the front of the queue :o I would offer to act as the admin person,
but feel it would be better if the forum membership would offer their names to the post of secretary & treasurer & then the forum could vote ( via a secret vote ) & hey presto we will have a democratic way of filling the various positions needed to run the "Owners Club".

Before it gets argued with regard a subscription cost.... I,m speaking off the top of my head here & would suggest £5 per year & maybe we can from that supply a car sticker / quarterly newsletter ( I know we have the forum etc ) etc etc ...... just bouncing idea,s here ....

A good point raised by TT with regard using the "Haynes " name, maybe this permission would be given if asked for in the correct manner & to run alongside this forum etc....again, just making suggestions / idea,s etc.

cheers
andy

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 11:08 PM
Happy to be technical advisor related to sierras :D , and could probably do treasury. Most clubs are running £15-£25 membership with a quaterly pamphlet or something. Perhaps a £10 in Y1 and see how we go.

For the clubs and forums I pay into ( probably £100 between 3 in the last year ) I don't get much to show, but for them it's about support..

If somone can research Merchandise, I could administer it...

The Profile of the HR seems to have jumped in the last few months and as a group we need to make every effort to capitolise on this and make the roadster a big player in the se7ern world.

TT

Bonzo
17th April 2010, 11:16 PM
Personally I do not forsee Haynes having a problem with the name Haynes Roadster Club !!

After all that is the logo in the book & also the name designated for the Roadster.

Provided the club do not sully the Haynes brand I am sure they would willingly support the formation of such a club :)

Subscription may be a little low at £5 .... Admin costs can certainly add up quickly & it would be nice to fund a basic web domain dedicated to the club. :cool: :)

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 11:20 PM
roc.org.uk is already taken....

HandyAndy
17th April 2010, 11:21 PM
Personally I do not forsee Haynes having a problem with the name Haynes Roadster Club !!

After all that is the logo in the book & also the name designated for the Roadster.

Provided the club do not sully the Haynes brand I am sure they would willingly support the formation of such a club :)

Subscription may be a little low at £5 .... Admin costs can certainly add up quickly & it would be nice to fund a basic web domain dedicated to the club. :cool: :)

I totally agree with you Ronnie, with regard the "Haynes" brand connection, but would need to contact Haynes themselves to confirm,

Also agree regarding a subscription fee, but thru this thread and the forum membership a figure could be agreed to .

I know just the man with regard the domain thingy......he,s on this forum & already has a related domain name, I just didn,t want to name him without his input on this thread :)

cheers
andy

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 11:25 PM
haynesroadster.org.uk is available....

HandyAndy
17th April 2010, 11:30 PM
nice work TT :cool:

if the other domain related name that i,ve mentioned above isn,t available then that one you suggest maybe the one to go for

cheers
andy

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 11:37 PM
what is it?

I can check availability...

TT

twinturbo
17th April 2010, 11:40 PM
p.s. about £6 for two years registration BTW.. Not sure on hosting costs as I only register domains for work or homw which have their own webservers.

TT

HandyAndy
17th April 2010, 11:43 PM
what is it?

I can check availability...

TT

I don,t know the full name of the domain, but it belongs to a forum member who is active on here so i,m sure he,ll be along soon to give his input, sorry if that seems a little unhelpful, i,m just trying to be respectful to that forum member & give him the oppurtunity to comment on this thread.

cheers
andy

dogwood
18th April 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm in......:D

Were's me T shirt and sticker????

Davey
18th April 2010, 07:37 AM
Sounds like a plan guys, count me in but not for any committee posts please. My own website is hosted through a company called Streamline and I pay about £50 for two years, I've actually got several websites through them and in five years with them I've had no problems at all. http://www.streamline.net/

I'd suggest £10 a year for the subs as any less just isn't going to cover admin costs. It will help immensely if committee members are close geographically, We used to run a car club in the nineties and the committee was spread around quite a bit, Chairman in Sheffield, us in Telford, Treasurer in Cheshire, committee members in Bath, Leicester and Sunderland. It made committee meetings difficult to organise.

Personally I don't think there is any need for a paper newsletter, we're all here on the interwebby thing so it could be done as a pdf file and sent out by e-mail. If no-one else steps up for the job I'll put my hand up for newsletter editor as I've done this sort of stuff before. My son can design websites and we can handle regular updates if the material comes in from other members.

D.

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 09:40 AM
Ginge............. A good suggestion regarding the club name , maybe if we get permission from Haynes to use the brand name maybe we could call it "Haynes Roadster Builders Club"....

Davey..... also some good points raised, PDF files etc .........

lets get a few more members input then maybe we can put together a list of possible club names & a list of members wishing to be involved in the running of it & then the forum membership can cast votes via a thread poll.

Now where is that forum member that has a related domain name at the ready ???? :D :D

thanks for the input guys....

cheers
andy

twinturbo
18th April 2010, 09:48 AM
The only problem I forsee is "theclub" wanting a forum it can control.

Funding the club could be helped with advertising revenue, but a none forum website is unlikly to generate huge traffic and click revenue.

I could host a website for nowt, althought my upstream bandwidth is limited. Saves the cost of hosting until the club grows. But don't ask me to design a site ;) . For anyone thinking of doing the design I run a LAMP system. If somoen can make sense of Joomla Sections and Catagories then it's a quick way to a usefull site ( my www.claytune.org.uk site shows the functions and my lack of webskill )

TT

Eternal
18th April 2010, 09:56 AM
Sounds good to me! I would be happy to pay a membership as long as its not stupid money! Like twinturbo said only problem i can see is the forum control issue. I still think it would be a great idea to have a Build directory on this forum and loads seem to agree but nothing done maby i should chase that up a bit lol

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 10:00 AM
The only problem I forsee is "theclub" wanting a forum it can control.

TT

I understand your thoughts TT, but this where we can be unique, we already have a fantastic forum hosted by Haynes........

My suggestion for a "Club" is to generate awareness to folk who haven,t found this forum, not to rival it......
Just so we can have contact info etc alongside all other known "Owners clubs" in national & international publications, as the more awareness of this forum & the Haynes concept of building a sports car can hopefully generate more builders & in the long run be better for the "Marque".

cheers
andy

twinturbo
18th April 2010, 10:10 AM
There is lots we can have on a site mind.

Cherry picking forum articles and formating them to suite.

TT

flyerncle
18th April 2010, 10:11 AM
Sorry for late input,fitting bathroom rather than building car.

Ace idea Andy I am all for it.

twinturbo
18th April 2010, 10:12 AM
So...

Who want's to aproach Chirs, I think he would be best placed to speek with Haynes regards usage of the name and logo.

I guess we can help them by backlinking to their online store.

TT

twinturbo
18th April 2010, 10:26 AM
Quick Logo.....

http://www.rob1tt.f2s.com/roadster/rogo.jpg

AshG
18th April 2010, 10:58 AM
tt i registered loads of the possibe domain names last year from memory i think roc is one of them. So that part is already done. Chris andy and i had this discussion at stoneleigh last year.

gingea1pom
18th April 2010, 11:16 AM
Quick Logo.....

http://www.rob1tt.f2s.com/roadster/rogo.jpg

TT,

YES YES.

As I have mentioned before I think the BUILD aspect is the important bit.

Nice one.

I have saved it and can make my own club of one now!:D

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 11:34 AM
great logo TT,

If all are ok with this I,ll approach Chris & Ash at stoneleigh to see if we can take this whole idea forward,

is everyone ok with me taking this forward?

cheers
andy

GraemeWebb
18th April 2010, 11:39 AM
great logo TT,

If all are ok with this I,ll approach Chris & Ash at stoneleigh to see if we can take this whole idea forward,

cheers
andy

Go for it. You have my backing. See you at the show.

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 11:54 AM
Go for it. You have my backing. See you at the show.

thanks Graeme.

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
18th April 2010, 12:21 PM
Andy,

We can all have a chat at Stoneleigh over a brew/beer.:D

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo
18th April 2010, 12:27 PM
great logo TT,

cheers
andy

5 mins and a program called "GIMP" :)

yep go ahead Andy

On the website we should have an open section and a members only section with all the juicy good bits :) . People can still find most of the information on the forum but the effort taken to collate and organise it will be worth paying £10 for.

We may have an easierer ride organising group buys as well as a club, and organising discounts from an affiliated insurance broker.

TT

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 12:34 PM
Andy,

We can all have a chat at Stoneleigh over a brew/beer.

Cheers Ginge

or like last year.............a beer with a jack daniels chaser :eek: :D
ouch...sore head the next morning :D

Yes, totally agree Ginge, there will be so many forum members at stoneleigh it,ll be great to "bounce" the idea of the club amongst us all :)

TT........yes, we could have club merchandise / discounts / insurance etc / Trackdays etc etc .

great suggestions , keep em coming.

cheers
andy

Bonzo
18th April 2010, 12:38 PM
We already have a fantastic forum hosted by Haynes........

My suggestion for a "Club" is to generate awareness to folk who haven,t found this forum, not to rival it......
Just so we can have contact info etc alongside all other known "Owners clubs" in national & international publications, as the more awareness of this forum & the Haynes concept of building a sports car can hopefully generate more builders & in the long run be better for the "Marque".

cheers
andy

Agreed :)

I for one am happy with this forum as it is .... A first class resource for the Roadster builder :cool:

100% behind the idea of forming a Roadster Builders club though .... When do you want my subs in :D :D

Jimmyd
18th April 2010, 01:30 PM
Agreed :)

I for one am happy with this forum as it is .... A first class resource for the Roadster builder :cool:

100% behind the idea of forming a Roadster Builders club though .... When do you want my subs in :D :D

Here here Ronnie.

J

adrianreeve
18th April 2010, 02:19 PM
Great idea Andy, count me in! Won't be at Stoneleigh though, so I'll just go along with whatever you decide.

Cheers

Adrian

Land Locked
18th April 2010, 03:56 PM
great logo TT,

cheers
andy

Just do it, BUT don't forget to allow for us furiners, we also wanna be able to join!

Davey
18th April 2010, 05:16 PM
One little question, and I'm not trying to be difficult here but looking forward (hopefully). What is the main reason for bringing such a club into being?

Another question that is related is what will be the main aim and objective of such a club?

The answers to these two questions will hopefully form the backbone of the club's constitution.

D.

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 05:33 PM
One little question, and I'm not trying to be difficult here but looking forward (hopefully). What is the main reason for bringing such a club into being?

Another question that is related is what will be the main aim and objective of such a club?

The answers to these two questions will hopefully form the backbone of the club's constitution.

D.

A couple of good constructive questions there Davey.....

My main reason for suggesting of creating such a club was to allow "us" to have the contact details available in publications such as the various kit car magazines to hopefully inform people that this forum & the concept of building a car from the book excists, for people that haven,t found this forum or are not aware that the "Book" is available.

The main aim of the club is to raise awareness of the Haynes Roadster Marque/Brand by all possible public means.

From that foundation the club could then go onto being able to possibly finding discounts from insurance / trackdays etc etc similar to how other clubs benefit.

cheers
andy

spud69
18th April 2010, 05:34 PM
Just seen this thread, been busy all weekend, but what a great idea. The Haynes Roadster scene is big enough and getting bigger to warrant this....:cool: A section could also be dedicated to development of the single seater, would be good for people to see and attract more excitement and interest. There's loads you could put in there if somebody has the time to do it.

I believe £10 a year would be more reasonable / realistic, i'm sure most people have had experience of how costs can spiral for things projects that you think wont cost TOO much, especially if you call into B&Q for a few bits.

Go for it.......AndyH

Davey
18th April 2010, 07:33 PM
A couple of good constructive questions there Davey.....

My main reason for suggesting of creating such a club was to allow "us" to have the contact details available in publications such as the various kit car magazines to hopefully inform people that this forum & the concept of building a car from the book excists, for people that haven,t found this forum or are not aware that the "Book" is available.

The main aim of the club is to raise awareness of the Haynes Roadster Marque/Brand by all possible public means.

From that foundation the club could then go onto being able to possibly finding discounts from insurance / trackdays etc etc similar to how other clubs benefit.

cheers
andy

Top man Andy, those are just about exactly the answers I was looking for. Don't forget that as the club would be retaining personal details of its members it will fall under the data protection act and therefore will need to be registered with the commissioner blah blah blah:D . A committee will need to be formed with a detailed constitution laying out the intentions and purposes of the club and how it expects members to behave etc etc etc. It's all good fun running a club:p , been there, done that, don't want to play again:p .

D.

HandyAndy
18th April 2010, 08:13 PM
Top man Andy, those are just about exactly the answers I was looking for. Don't forget that as the club would be retaining personal details of its members it will fall under the data protection act and therefore will need to be registered with the commissioner blah blah blah:D . A committee will need to be formed with a detailed constitution laying out the intentions and purposes of the club and how it expects members to behave etc etc etc. It's all good fun running a club:p , been there, done that, don't want to play again:p .

D.

Cheers Davey...........

So that we can be prepared prior to stoneleigh, how about forum members submitting themselves or nominating others for the committee,
also so that once an elected committee(informally until final acceptance) has been suggested lets also have suggestions to be included in the clubs constitution.
This is purely my opinion at this point......it would be nice to have the input of all forum members of how this club can be created .

so come on guys..... get your thoughts /idea,s / suggestions onto this thread.

cheers
andy

twinturbo
18th April 2010, 08:19 PM
Won't be at Stoneligh myself, but I am sure you guys can come up with a good plan.

TT

tex
18th April 2010, 09:11 PM
if your looking for web space the best deal iv come across so far is at
www.qawebhosting.com
They are doing lifetime hosting for just £50! You then buy whatever name you find which is around £15 - £20 for 2 years.. Iv used them a lot for a few websites iv made in the past and they are pretty good!
You get all the bells and whistles for that too.. Unlimited email addresses.. Shopping carts etc.. Is good! You can use the home page on their site to search for what name you want too..

HandyAndy
19th April 2010, 06:18 PM
Little Update.......

I,ve been in touch with Chris Gibbs & he thinks this is a great idea, :cool:

I have asked Chris if he would do us the honour of being the club president & he has replied that he would be honoured to be the president IF thats what members would like .........as if not eh????? :D

Chris has also said he would contact Haynes to see if we would be allowed to use the "Haynes" name in the club title etc..........

so..........may I ask for nominations (nominate yourself or other forum members only if they are happy to be nominated) for the role of secretary & treasurer please............ I will then create a thread giving the list of names & attach a private poll to that thread.........

so come on guys......lets get this off the ground please.

cheers
andy

baz-r
19th April 2010, 08:24 PM
all seems a bloody good idea to me chaps.

im in!

can i put myself down for a owners club smoking pipe and lighter from the merchendice shop :rolleyes:

Bonzo
19th April 2010, 08:39 PM
I am dead keen to see the creation of a club dedicated to the Roadster & the single seater once the book has been published :cool:

Willing to assist in any way possible to ensure that it becomes a reality :)

Happy to assist with some of the minor admin work involved but feel that my personal circumstances would prevent me from taking on any major role :(

Also quite happy to make an additional contribution towards the web hosting cost of a club domain .... This may be difficult to fund via subscriptions alone whilst the club formation is at an early stage ;)

John Marchant
19th April 2010, 09:29 PM
Please count me in for joining. Sounds like a great idea.

tex
19th April 2010, 09:57 PM
the domain is only around £20 or so for a couple of years - the hosting is the bit more

Jeze2903
20th April 2010, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a great idea..count me in :)

HandyAndy
20th April 2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your support of the idea :cool:

We have our president....... Mr Chris Gibbs

we now need to have forum members to come forward who are willing to be committee members / a secretary / a treasurer........ Thanks to the forum members who have offered their help in the running of the club, but can you also add your name to the list below stating what involvement you would be happy to offer.

so can anyone wishing to be involved in the running of the club please come forward & add themselves to the list below,

Chris Gibbs = president
Handyandy = willing to be secretary or committee member

cheers
andy

twinturbo
20th April 2010, 01:48 PM
Twinturbo - Possibly Treasury and Postal Shop ( if somone handles organising the merchandise) Although I won't attend many shows this year for direct shop sales.

TT

bobbyh
21st April 2010, 10:24 AM
Chris Gibbs = president
Handyandy = willing to be secretary or committee member
Twinturbo - Possibly Treasury and Postal Shop ( if somone handles organising the merchandise) Although I won't attend many shows this year for direct shop sales.
Bobbyh - committee member or Treasury or what ever you would like me to do

twinturbo
21st April 2010, 11:20 AM
P.S.....

I have actualy started adding a bit of content to my own website so you guys can see what a Joomla Engine could do for us. Currently all my articles are published for public viewing but registerd club members could be set to access these only.

Cheers

TT

Bonzo
21st April 2010, 11:42 AM
I'll nominate TT as the Club website designer :)

I would be quite happy to store & distribute any club merchandise, however I do not have the contacts to arrange the procurement of any mechandise .

Would also be quite happy to assist on any committee but again, geographicaly it would be unpractical, the costs involved attending meetings would be prohibitive :(

Quite happy to be the clubs Post Master though :)

spud69
21st April 2010, 12:46 PM
This seems to be gathering pace faster than the Ash cloud over Europe, all excellent for the brand as a whole. Been talking to Steve Hole earlier (CKC magazine) and he thinks its a great step forward for the roadster and will support it in the mag as best he can. I'm sure complete kit car will do the same plus Rob from Kit Car mag is coming to see us soon so will also discuss it with him.

It would be nice if Saturn could get involved with the club but there is too much going on at the moment to get involved with anything else. But if there is anything Saturn can do to assist then please let us know.

All the best with all the hard work to come

Regards....AndyH

twinturbo
21st April 2010, 12:59 PM
It will be gr8 if we can get mags to publicise the inception of the club.

TT

Balidey
21st April 2010, 01:54 PM
How about the "Haynes Roadster and Single Seater owners club"? As I am putting off my Roadster plans so I can do the SS instead. One club to encompass both? The HRASSOC? :D

twinturbo
21st April 2010, 07:43 PM
Can we come up with some amusing acronym???

TT

gingea1pom
25th April 2010, 01:57 PM
Men (and women (do we have any women on the forum?))

Now I don’t promise anything and don’t hold me to this

BUT

On my way into Andover yesterday I passed a shop that makes and sells signs and vinyl banners. Now on the stand where the roadsters are going to park (Block 39) I guess other clubs will have banners such as ‘Locost car club’, ‘Formula 27 owners’ club’, Historic specials club’, there are more clubs in the same block but you get the idea.

I was thinking of popping in and asking how much for a vinyl banner saying ‘Haynes roadster builders club’. Just a small one that can be bungeed to the roll bar of someone’s car, maybe Ash’s, as most people there probably read CKC and will recognise his car.

This might generate more interest when the Roadster Builders Club gets up and running.

Just my thoughts, interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
25th April 2010, 02:04 PM
great idea Ginge :cool:

BUT

Have we decided on a Club name yet?

I,m working in the background regarding this club, ( amongst lots of steel :eek: )

I suppose it wouldn,t be a massive problem if at a later date the final "Name" was changed ( would like to see the single seater mentioned if poss)
but it would be great to have a banner of some degree for next weekend...

cheers
andy

twinturbo
25th April 2010, 02:14 PM
How about the Haynes Self Build Club

Locost,
Roadster,
Buggy,
Single Seater,

Wider Audience..

TT

gingea1pom
25th April 2010, 02:23 PM
Andy,

Ref the name I like TT’s idea of, ‘Haynes Self Build Club’, which would of course make us the HSBC.:D

The banner is really only for this weekend and it will be quite small and hopefully inexpensive.

My thinking was really to make us stand out from the rest on the block.

TT,

I like that name, it rolls better than ‘Haynes Roadster Builders Club’ and as I mentioned it makes us the HSBC.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
25th April 2010, 02:29 PM
Ginge / TT

I too like the name TT has suggested, as TT says " a wider audience" plus there are books that covers the vehicles TT has mentioned....& also if any further designs are brought out in the future it would cover those too :cool:

If poss Ginge ( subject to cost) , I,d suggest you get a banner for next week, & we,ll all chat about the forming of the club over the weekend.

cheers guys for your input :)

cheers
andy

GraemeWebb
25th April 2010, 02:37 PM
If we are using the Haynes name how about some sponsorship?? Not said entirely toungue in cheek. Could help pay for website etc.

Anja O'No
25th April 2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Ginge
yes there is a lady amongst you builders...I like your idea of a banner, we should attract as much attention as possible...
I am sure I will meet most of you all at Stoneleigh...I am counting the days to the weekend as I have heard nothing but great things from this event...let the fun begin..

Cheers Anja

Men (and women (do we have any women on the forum?))

Now I don’t promise anything and don’t hold me to this

BUT

On my way into Andover yesterday I passed a shop that makes and sells signs and vinyl banners. Now on the stand where the roadsters are going to park (Block 39) I guess other clubs will have banners such as ‘Locost car club’, ‘Formula 27 owners’ club’, Historic specials club’, there are more clubs in the same block but you get the idea.

I was thinking of popping in and asking how much for a vinyl banner saying ‘Haynes roadster builders club’. Just a small one that can be bungeed to the roll bar of someone’s car, maybe Ash’s, as most people there probably read CKC and will recognise his car.

This might generate more interest when the Roadster Builders Club gets up and running.

Just my thoughts, interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers Ginge

dogwood
25th April 2010, 05:36 PM
Just my thought.
Not that its worth a lot tonight, defo had a few too many shererts....

As it's only for the weekend, and we havent really decided on a name yet.
Why not promote the forum.
And have a banner with
Haynes Roadster Forum...
Just a thought, defo be a bit different.

twinturbo
25th April 2010, 06:07 PM
too many sherbets to even type it right :o

TT

gingea1pom
26th April 2010, 12:26 PM
OK

Went down and ordered the banner and paid for it.

I took ideas from all that showed an interest, remember it is just for the show;) so the name is not set in stone, although I quite like it.

Also I liked Dogwoods suggestion.

I can’t attach anything to this post whilst at work but it reads

Haynes Self
Build Club

Visit the public forum at
www.haynes.co.uk/forums
The top two lines are in a much bigger font than the bottom two, it will be a black banner with white text and is only 400mm high by 900mm wide, should fit on a Roadster roll bar.:D

No more suggestions please because they will probably be really good and I can’t change it now.

Really quite exited about Stoneleigh now, must try and focus on work, weapon cleaning this afternoon!:mad:

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo
26th April 2010, 04:31 PM
HayMakers

TT

gingea1pom
26th April 2010, 04:59 PM
TT,

I got it in the end, I think:rolleyes:

Might be a little obscure though.

Cheers Ginge

(Monday out the way 3 ½ days to push):D

Bonzo
26th April 2010, 05:17 PM
I have been thinking about this for quite some time .... You all know me, never do anything in a hurry :o

I quite like the name " Haynes Self Build Club " but can't help feeling that it looses a little of the Roadsters identity ?

How's about

Haynes Sports Car Builders Club

This will encompass both the Roadster & The single seater when it comes into being.

H S C B C

Haggle - Scavange - Cadge - Borrow & Create :D :)

Like I said, not adverse to the name of HSBC & quite happy to go with the flow & wish for some form of club to emerge :)

spud69
26th April 2010, 06:01 PM
Got my vote Ronnie.....:D

Can't stand the HSBC anyway.....Robbing Barstewards

Bonzo
26th April 2010, 06:09 PM
Hmmm .... H S C B C !!??

Having - Started - Certain - Bankruptcy - Claim :eek: :D

I realy must find myself something usefull to do today :o :rolleyes:

dogwood
26th April 2010, 06:29 PM
Good on ya Ginge.
Looks all good to me.

No messin, just get out there and get it done. :D

HandyAndy
26th April 2010, 06:41 PM
H S C B C

Haggle - Scavange - Cadge - Borrow & Create

:D :D
Now, I like this......as it sort of covers every angle of my build :o :D

Nice one Ginge.......how much did the banner cost if you mind me asking?

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
26th April 2010, 07:31 PM
£25, plus the Vodka and tonic.

I could have got it cheaper on line, but

1. They where standard sizes on-line that didn’t fit the roll bar on a roadster.:(

2. I couldn’t play around with the design much.:(

3. No where did it say when it would be delivered.

4. The bloke down town did it just how I wanted. (black background white righting):D

5. He will put the eyelets just where I want.:D

6. I actually like speaking to a person and discussing my requirements.

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo
26th April 2010, 07:52 PM
H S C B C

Thumbs Up

High Speed Cornering Bike Catcher.

TT

twinturbo
26th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Holey Sh...T Clenching Bum Cheeks.

dogwood
26th April 2010, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm.
HSCBC

One for me...:rolleyes:
Huge sherberts can be catastrophic

HandyAndy
26th April 2010, 08:59 PM
my go my go :D

Handy,s Slow Car Build Creation
H S C B C

:D

cheers
andy

slimtater
26th April 2010, 10:18 PM
Just catching up on this thread. Despite the sale of mine, I would be happy to help if there was a need for a vehicle register - it could link in with the plaques.
If not, I will pass on the plaques to a willing volunteer.

HandyAndy
26th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Just catching up on this thread. Despite the sale of mine, I would be happy to help if there was a need for a vehicle register - it could link in with the plaques.
If not, I will pass on the plaques to a willing volunteer.

Thanks Slim...I was hoping you,d come along & say that :D

It looks like the "wheels" are in motion for forming this club, we can all chat at stoneleigh then after the show I,ll get some firm info out to you all from discussions/suggestions made at stoneleigh so that we can make it happen etc.

cheers
andy

flyerncle
27th April 2010, 06:07 PM
How Strange Car Builders Can-be :rolleyes:

John Marchant
28th April 2010, 07:06 PM
Looking forward to meeting everyone and chatting about the club on Saturday. To start the ball rolling I am happy to donate one of the resin model minituare chassis for a raffle with all proceeds going to the soon to be club. It may generate some interest too. Is there a stand that would be willing to display the chassis and take the money for the tickets etc?

HandyAndy
28th April 2010, 07:12 PM
Looking forward to meeting everyone and chatting about the club on Saturday. To start the ball rolling I am happy to donate one of the resin model minituare chassis for a raffle with all proceeds going to the soon to be club. It may generate some interest too. Is there a stand that would be willing to display the chassis and take the money for the tickets etc?

WOW what a fantastic generous offer John, on behalf of the "club to be" I,d like to say a HUGE THANKYOU....:) :)

I,m sure we,ll find somewhere for the chassis to be displayed & i,m sure most forum members will want a chance of winning the raffle......what a great idea.

Again.....Thankyou :cool: :cool:

cheers
andy

Bonzo
28th April 2010, 07:28 PM
That's a great gesture John .... Where do I get my raffle tickets from :) :)

Just a sugestion !!

I think that chassis model would look fantastic on display alongside one of HandyAndy's lat pack chassis kits :cool:

Folk will be able to see exactly what that pile of steel will look like when it is all put together ;)

gingea1pom
28th April 2010, 08:19 PM
If we can have a consensus I will take on the mantel of raffle organiser!

Might I suggest?

1. I will get a book of raffle tickets (free from work)

2. £1 a ticket.

3. Any one registered on the forum or at Stoneleigh can purchase as many as they like.

4. On Monday afternoon we will find the most attractive lady from one of the insurance stands to pick the winning ticket.

5. We can decide what to do with the money right after we have gone firm on a name!

Sound good or am I gobbing off

Cheers Ginge

GraemeWebb
28th April 2010, 08:22 PM
I'll have to ask the wife if I can spend that much but I'm sure I can buy one ticket!:) :)

Bonzo
28th April 2010, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a great plan to me Ginge :) :cool:

Just make sure that you bring plenty of tickets with you .... I can see that being a very popular raffle, very desireable prize indeed ;)

HandyAndy
28th April 2010, 08:34 PM
If we can have a consensus I will take on the mantel of raffle organiser!

Might I suggest?

1. I will get a book of raffle tickets (free from work)

2. £1 a ticket.

3. Any one registered on the forum or at Stoneleigh can purchase as many as they like.

4. On Monday afternoon we will find the most attractive lady from one of the insurance stands to pick the winning ticket.

5. We can decide what to do with the money right after we have gone firm on a name!

Cheers Ginge

great suggestions Ginge.

I,ll second that motion :) or if being correct I propose what Ginge says above & if someone else can 2nd it please .

can we also have forum member John & if poss Chris Gibbs to "Hold the Hat" that the lovely young lady will draw the winning ticket from.....?

cheers
andy

twinturbo
28th April 2010, 08:37 PM

Sorry.. ....

I will have a few tickets... Somehow.

Perhaps Saturn can help with a Raffel prize, Headlamp tubes?

I will have a think if I can donate anyhting roadster or otherwise...

TT

gingea1pom
28th April 2010, 08:38 PM
Right,

Just going to make a brew then start the ‘Amassing Chassis Raffle’ Thread.:D

Give me half an hour

I will hold off posting it until I have been seconded!

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom
28th April 2010, 08:40 PM
TT,

Sorry we posted at the same time.

So we could have a few prizes.

Could become the annual Haynes Self Build Club Stoneleigh Raffle!!

Cheers Ginge

Bonzo
28th April 2010, 08:47 PM
I'll second that motion Andy :) :)

Tis a great idea Ginge :cool:

Bonzo
28th April 2010, 08:53 PM
TT Has me thinking

I know its not much .... But I have a full spare set of camber adjuster lock nuts I can donate as a lucky dip prize

2 X M18 X 1.5 Half nuts & 2 x M20 X 2.5 Half nuts

I know it's a Tescos offer .... But every little helps :D :D

slimtater
28th April 2010, 08:55 PM
I have a few of the Roadster vinyl decals left so happy to donate a couple to the raffle.
Don't make me the treasurer though, I have a TVR to run! :rolleyes:

gingea1pom
28th April 2010, 09:00 PM
How good are we!!

If you willing to donate something to the raffle and can bring it to Stoneleigh please PM me with the details.

I will get a list going on the thread I am trying to write!

No rusty brake back plates! Quality items please to reflect a quality club.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
28th April 2010, 09:15 PM
Right,

Just going to make a brew then start the ‘Amassing Chassis Raffle’ Thread.:D

Give me half an hour

I will hold off posting it until I have been seconded!

Cheers Ginge

Ginge ,

You have been seconded by Ronnie :)

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
28th April 2010, 09:16 PM
Im typing, Im typing.

Two minutes!!

gingea1pom
30th April 2010, 10:46 AM
Gentlemen,

The Banner has been collected, I haven’t seen it yet Nicky picked it up, she said it looks good.:D

She said the bloke in the shop was asking questions, which she was able to answer, I don’t think we have a new builder in our mists he is probably looking for more work.

Just need a volunteer to have the banner attached to there roll bar,:p I will attach it to mine and get a picture up on here before you all commit.

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom
30th April 2010, 02:58 PM
Well here it is.

Remember it is just for this show to let people know what they are looking at.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/gingea1pom/Roadster%20build/120Banner1.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/gingea1pom/Roadster%20build/121Banner2.jpg

Now a volunteer to have it attached to there roadster.

Cheers Ginge

Tilly819
30th April 2010, 03:18 PM
cool, we are opening a bank.....HSBC...... only kidding,

banner looks great, the plans for the club sound fantastic

tilly

Bonzo
30th April 2010, 03:45 PM
Cracking stuff there Ginge :cool:

If no one want's it on their car .... I'll be happy to walk around with it on a sandwich board :D :D

I am sure you'll soon find someone to display the banner :)

gingea1pom
30th April 2010, 03:53 PM
Ronnie,

I might end up wearing it as a rain hat!!!

dogwood
30th April 2010, 05:50 PM
Looks good to me.
Well done fo getting out there and doing it.

We could probably liberate a couple of stakes (Not for the bbq)
And put it on there, if no one wants on their car

HandyAndy
30th April 2010, 10:25 PM
nice one Ginge :)

the banner looks great, thanks for getting it sorted.

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
30th April 2010, 10:29 PM
Andy,

No worries, I’m going to stick it up in my office after the show!

Off to bed and looking forward to meeting everyone in a wet field near Coventry!

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
4th May 2010, 11:57 AM
Andy,

No worries, I’m going to stick it up in my office after the show!

Cheers Ginge

I,ve just unpacked my van & the banner you had made was in there too, send me your address via PM & i,ll send it to you ;)

Info for all forum members

As for other "Club" information.........I,ll be posting up the "bones" of the meeting that was held at Stoneleigh later this evening.

just trying to catch up with things & get back into routine :rolleyes:

cheers
andy

Bonzo
4th May 2010, 12:04 PM
Info for all forum members

As for other "Club" information.........I,ll be posting up the "bones" of the meeting that was held at Stoneleigh later this evening.

:rolleyes:

cheers
andy

I'll be eagerly awaiting news of the club developments :) :) :cool:

HandyAndy
4th May 2010, 08:16 PM
Evening all,

I,m in the process of writing out the discussions / voted in members for the committee , & other "club" info including the confirmed club name , from the meeting held at Stoneleigh over the weekend,
I know some of you are eagerly awaiting this info.

I,ll have this posted in about half an hour.

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 08:30 PM
16 members on line we are waiting.:D

I don’t need a reply but I can’t remember what name we settled on!:(

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
4th May 2010, 08:33 PM
I don’t need a reply but I can’t remember what name we settled on!:(

Cheers Ginge

i,ll keep you waiting then :D

working on it as quick as i can peeps ;) :)

cheers
andy

Bonzo
4th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah .... Get your finger out Andy :p :D

Only kidding mate :)

I think we all apreciate the amount of personal effort that you have put into all of this :cool:

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 08:48 PM
Give him a chance he has been on the phone to me for the last 20 minutes.:D

I have been reminded of the name again.:)

Cheers Ginge

Bonzo
4th May 2010, 08:52 PM
Give him a chance he has been on the phone to me for the last 20 minutes.:D

Cheers Ginge

Only 20 minutes Ginge .... What happend .... Did the connection drop !!?? :D :D :D

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 08:56 PM
Actually neither of us could get a word in, makes for an interesting conversation.

We need to use a two way radio so only one of us can talk at a time!

It sounds like it is all typed just doting the T’s and crossing the I’s.

Cheers Ginge

twinturbo
4th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Hell I have been out and wired up most of the feed for the pump on the MK1 golf waiting for this new thread..... I will have my Roadster finished before Andy finishes typing.

TT

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 09:12 PM
TT,

I can’t see him on line any more, maybe he has snapped under the pressure:D :D

twinturbo
4th May 2010, 09:30 PM
Duno, perhaps he's just typed in the word "FISH" 800 times and snapped...

Anyway, I had some good news from a member on one of my other forums, He lost his job at a signage/print/etc... Firm last year but started a new similar job Today. So may be able to get stickers/merchandise etc done at a reasonable rate .

TT

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 09:34 PM
TT,

Nice we could be sending some business his way.

Have you seen the price of plastic card printing machines, the sort used for, say, membership cards.:eek: :eek: :eek:

£800 - £2,000. We might not be doing membership cards straight of the bat.:o

Has he posted yet.

Cheers Ginge

HandyAndy
4th May 2010, 09:43 PM
A meeting was held on 2nd May 2010,
meeting started at 1910hrs

Forum members present....

Chris Gibbs
Dogwood
Handyandy
TJ ( Les G,s son)
Gus
Mightymouth
Davey
Gingea1pom
Aerosam
Les G
Ash G
Adrian H
Tilly

I opened the meeting by thanking everyone for attending in terrible weather & outlined the purpose of the meeting, which was to discuss the creation of an "Official Club".

I announced that the following members had offered their services to act as committee members if so seconded ....

Chris Gibbs ( non active with regard administration)
Bonzo
Twin Turbo
Handyandy
Gingea1pom
Mightymouth
Ash G

I announced that Chris Gibbs would be honoured to be the club Hon President if that is what the club would want,
I asked for a show of hands to this regard, every person present voted in favour.

The following positions of the committee were then voted in

Secretary = Handyandy, nominated by Davey seconded by Dogwood
Treasurer = Gingea1pom, nominated by Dogwood seconded by Aerosam
General committee member= Twin Turbo seconded by Gingea1pom
General committee member= Bonzo seconded by Mightymouth
General committee member= Mightymouth (website tech)seconded by Gus
General committee member= Ash G (website hosting) seconded by Davey
General committee member= Davey seconded by Tilly

Club Name
After a full discussion with various names being suggested the final name was chosen by a show of hands by majority.........
Haynes Sports Car Club ( subject to confirmation in writing from Haynes to allow the use of the Haynes brand name)

Membership
Membership will be open to any person that has built or is building a car from a "Haynes Build Book" ( not just the Roadster)
Any person with a genuine interest or taking inspiration from the concept of building from a Haynes build book that helps in the build of a car.

Membership Cost

Membership subscription will be £10 per 12 months or pro rata ( for new members joining part way through a year)

Membership start date will be from July to July

Any new memberships part way through the year will be on a pro rata system plus the following years subscription.

The Annual General Meeting of the club will be held at The Stoneleigh Kit Car Show year on year.

Other Business

There were also various discussions on "Rules of the Club", these will be discussed & finalised between the elected committee members & posted on this forum before the 1st July,

It was also discussed that as this forum is a Worldwide forum then every member of this forum should be given ample time to comment on the above elections of committee members & membership details,

So, if any current forum member has any objections to the above would they please contact me via PM, email or if you wish via this thread after this thread has been posted ( Time & date noted) by 1/6/2010.
any objections after this time will be noted but the above elections will be deemed as "Carried".

I , on behalf of the elected committee hope that all forum members will take the above in good spirit , but am sure there are details that need to be confirmed with regard to creating an Official Club & this process is ongoing as we speak, as & when new confirmed details are available then these will be made available on this thread as & when they are finalised.

The meeting ended at 2030 hrs.

cheers
Andy

tex
4th May 2010, 09:44 PM
TT,

Nice we could be sending some business his way.

Have you seen the price of plastic card printing machines, the sort used for, say, membership cards.:eek: :eek: :eek:

£800 - £2,000. We might not be doing membership cards straight of the bat.:o

Has he posted yet.

Cheers Ginge

the dax club just uses numbers - no card - the reasons needed for membership number are limited usually.

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 09:49 PM
Nice one Andy.

Just as I remember it.

I can go to bed now. NOT

Cheers Ginge

John Marchant
4th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Welldone to HandyAndy and all of the other members at Stoneleigh for sorting this out, just sorry I couldn't stay for the meeting in the evening. Can I be so bold as to suggest that anything that needs purchasing could be thrown open to the forum to see if there is anyone who can get a good deal. There is obviously a large network of enthusiastic people here that could be utilised for bulk purchase etc.

Oh and by the way, the build is officially started, I have taped out the template on the build table and laid out some metal to make it look good. The bits of metal match the drawing very nicely;) cheers Andy

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 09:58 PM
Welldone to HandyAndy and all of the other members at Stoneleigh for sorting this out, just sorry I couldn't stay for the meeting in the evening. Can I be so bold as to suggest that anything that needs purchasing could be thrown open to the forum to see if there is anyone who can get a good deal. There is obviously a large network of enthusiastic people here that could be utilised for bulk purchase etc.

Oh and by the way, the build is officially started, I have taped out the template on the build table and laid out some metal to make it look good. The bits of metal match the drawing very nicely;) cheers Andy

John,

I like your thinking, duly noted

MightyMouth
4th May 2010, 10:01 PM
I have been at work so not much time but have started trying to mock up a website design. Bearing in mind this is a very rough draft and a work in progress, this is what I have so far.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/S-CKfy52eSI/AAAAAAAAErY/gXoigx3tV9Q/s800/HSCCTemplate.jpg

twinturbo
4th May 2010, 10:03 PM
Excelent. Gr8 work.

TT

gingea1pom
4th May 2010, 10:06 PM
Keith,

That is great, I like the chassis inside the Haynes laurel wreath, I like the faded colours either side, I like the tyre marks, the carbon effect on either side.

Yes I LIKE.

Nice work mate.

Cheers Ginge

MightyMouth
4th May 2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks, like i said it's a work in progress, I am not sure if its a little hard on the eyes with the bright Red and Yellow so prominent. I'll sleep on it and then hopefully something will come to me.:)

bobbyh
4th May 2010, 10:13 PM
looking good and just want to thank every one for the work they have put in to this.

HandyAndy
4th May 2010, 10:16 PM
John,
great idea, thanks yes, we,ll be "tapping" the resource of the forums knowledge i,m sure :)

You,re very welcome, glad to hear that you,ve got straight onto your build, you know where I am if needed, enjoy your build :cool:

Keith

that looks great, thanks for the work so far, and like Ginge says.....I like too :cool:

cheers
andy

twinturbo
4th May 2010, 10:28 PM
Ash: Any probs on the hosting and I may be able to sort some space in a new data center in a few weeks.

TT

Bonzo
4th May 2010, 11:22 PM
Great news Andy :cool:

With the current level of support, I am sure the club will go from strength to strength :)

I must appologise for my absence at the meeting .... I was all done in big time & needed to be on the move back to the west country :(

Some great things are happening even at this early stage.

Andy & Ginge, thanks for all of your hard work that you have both put in .... The dream has now become a reality.

Keith, I am loving the design work .... Well taken by that club Logo.

David, that is a cracking offer .... I am sure you'll be hearing from the clubs techno bods .... All of that sort of stuff just goes over my head.

Counting the days untill I can hand over my first subs :)

Well done one and all.

les g
4th May 2010, 11:23 PM
Handyandy
i thought we agreed that people who own a roadster
or were drawing inspiration from a haynes book
were able to join it also seemed that the opinion was to allow
other seven type owners to join
cheers les g

MightyMouth
4th May 2010, 11:27 PM
Hello everyone,

This is now my second post on this forum, and have just read the "Club Info" provided by Handy Andy (my brother), and other posts relating to your new "Club".

To lay it on the line, as the saying goes, I am not building (yet) a kit car.

I was down at the show and was extremely impressed by the whole atmosphere and friendship amongst all of you.

Therefore, I would like to offer the following services to get "The Club" up and running A.S.A.P.

1. Free hosting of a website for the club, I have available storage and bandwidth available that I am paying for anyway. Unlike other "Free Webhosting" where you will get banner ads and other 3rd Party ads, this is "Private Webhosting" that I am offering for no charge.

2. A complete and comprehensive membership website script that I have a licence for, it has features for Free Membership and Paid memberships upto 20 total levels of membership. Automatic subscription renewals through Paypal and other third party payment processors. Member contributed content with admin control, unlimited categories, and sub categories. Audio and Video upload facility. Product Directory (ie members can promote their own products) and much much more!, again this is paid for already and therefore is available to the club.

3. A web conference room that is Flash based, no download required. This would resolve the "Committee Meeting" problems of members communicating in real time without having to travel, it has unlimited seats available, again I am already paying for this service, and I have a spare room available for the club.

The control and admin of the above offerings would have to be sorted out by the club as I am not able to provide support due to my day job. But if it helps you guys get going then that is good.

I would like to hear your thoughts

David

That is a kind offer, I would have to know if those tools would integrate with any of the CMS solutions I am familiar with. As I understand it, AshG has the hosting in hand already. Could you PM me with details of the membership script and the conferencing software? I.E. the product names and versions.

HandyAndy
4th May 2010, 11:36 PM
Handyandy
i thought we agreed that people who own a roadster
or were drawing inspiration from a haynes book
were able to join it also seemed that the opinion was to allow
other seven type owners to join
cheers les g

Hi Les,
yes that was agreed, have i written the info in a way that it doesn,t make that clear?
my apologies if i have,
The idea was to welcome members who have built a car ( even if not currently owning the car), are building a car, any person with an interest in building a car( and as you say ..."drawing inspiration from a "book build"),

should i rewrite what i have posted? cheers for the heads up on this Les.

cheers
andy

Land Locked
5th May 2010, 06:49 AM
Looking good. Now get it up and running already.:p

eSteve
5th May 2010, 08:43 AM
I'd just like to add my support to the effort you chaps are putting in to forming a club. I know that it takes a lot of time and effort to sort all this sort of stuff out, it is appreciated.

As has probably already been said I believe a club to support Haynes builders is a very good idea.

I was up at Stoneleigh on Sunday and put a few faces to names; sorry I could not make it to the inaugural meeting in the evening but here is my two-penneth’s worth:

An active forum is the best asset a club can have. The only thing that is in the back of my mind is that the forum (as I understand it) belongs to and is administered by Haynes. If we were to set up our own web site and use the Haynes forum, we ought to, out of respect, gain Haynes' permission to link to it and advertise the forum as the 'official' Haynes Sports Car Club's forum. I believe that the fostering of a good relationship with the administrators of the Haynes Forum is of fundamental importance to the future of our club. Can we try to establish a point of contact between the club and whoever is responsible for the forum within Haynes?

I'm afraid I don't have too much to offer the club but I have been told I have a bit of a 'thing' with respect to punctuation, grammar and spelling so if you need anything proof read (e.g. web-site articles, news letters), when the time comes, I could be your man!

Keep up the good work.

gingea1pom
5th May 2010, 09:37 AM
eSteve,

I hear what you are saying and agree.

The subject of the forum and the HSSC did come up in informal conversation.

I think the general consensus was that the forum would run and continue untouched the club would be a totally different entity, there to deal with club business.

Cheers Ginge

davidimurray
5th May 2010, 11:51 AM
Great to see things moving on so rapidly. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to set this up and volunteered their services. As soon as everythiing is setup I will be joining straight away.

On thought I had was presumably there would be a number of club events arranged - how about one at the Haynes Museum? Perhaps next summer we could meet up down there and maybe persuade them to let us use their track? Hopefully the single seater might even be out by then and a fair few roadsters on the road.

HandyAndy
5th May 2010, 12:18 PM
Esteve,
thanks for your support of the club & your offer of help in proof reading etc,

as Ginge has said, the discussion regarding the forum did come up at the meeting & was agreed by all that THIS forum is THE forum & that the "club" would be an extension to the forum & in no way compete with it, to the point that when a "Club " website is created it would direct viewers to this forum.

It was nice to meet you at the weekend to talk "Roadster", :)

David....
Thanks also for your kind words of support, & yes we will hopefully be arranging "get togethers" & club events in the future & the idea of all having a day at the Haynes museum is high on the wish list, as then we could have a club day & like you say maybe get chance to use the Haynes museum track,
Its an exciting time both for the creation of the Club & the Marque of cars that we are all enjoying so much. :cool:

cheers
andy

tex
5th May 2010, 07:24 PM
you can register with the MSA a club to organise events, licences, etc

dunno what it costs

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/localGroupFinder.asp?category=469

MightyMouth
6th May 2010, 10:36 PM
A little progress on the web design. Still just sorting out the general look and then once happy with that I will turn that into a template for a CMS, Probably Joomla as I know that the best and it has a lot of Plugin options.

Anyway here's the latest. Comments welcome.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/S-MxIn9rX5I/AAAAAAAAEsc/_IrnwoPRXoA/s800/HSCCTemplateworking.jpg

Davey
7th May 2010, 06:48 AM
I'm liking the look of that MM. I presume that will be a menu on the left, main content in a scrollable window in centre and pictures on right?

D.

correl
7th May 2010, 08:30 AM
when starting a club you need things like discount at place's and grill badges to fit to your car's, stickers, caps and as mentioned polo shirt's, and I many add count me in

HandyAndy
7th May 2010, 09:03 AM
Nice work MM :cool:
thats coming together nicely, it would,ve taken me ages to do that with a felt tipped pen & paper :D
I wouldn,t have a clue with a computer paint design :o :D

Correl......
yes , thats the plan, once the club is up and running we,ll be sourcing discounts /stickers / T shirts etc etc & hopefully in future arranging club events.

cheers
andy

MightyMouth
7th May 2010, 12:40 PM
I'm liking the look of that MM. I presume that will be a menu on the left, main content in a scrollable window in centre and pictures on right?

D.

Pretty much, though with the CMS I am planning on using, anything can literally go anywhere you want and can be changed at any time so the main menu could be on the right and the pictures on the left. There will also be a login area and depending on other factors maybe a top menu for categories if that is deemed necessary. The centre window will not be scrollable but the entire page will be. Best practice is to not need much scrolling and have links to more details or the whole article if a new item or whatever.

twinturbo
7th May 2010, 02:10 PM
MM:

The design looks a little tired to me :D

Good work.

TT

twinturbo
7th May 2010, 02:11 PM
Pretty much, though with the CMS I am planning on using, anything can literally go anywhere you want and can be changed at any time so the main menu could be on the right and the pictures on the left. There will also be a login area and depending on other factors maybe a top menu for categories if that is deemed necessary. The centre window will not be scrollable but the entire page will be. Best practice is to not need much scrolling and have links to more details or the whole article if a new item or whatever.

Davey, Look at my site in my signature. That's based on the Joomla CMS.

TT

Bonzo
7th May 2010, 02:59 PM
That's based on the Joomla CMS.

TT

Say what !!??

Will that make my side panels for me ! :D :D

Nice work there Keith .... I like what I see :cool: :)

twinturbo
7th May 2010, 03:26 PM
CMS - Content Management System

Saves a whole mahuuuuusive amount of work building websites with constantly updated content.

TT

HandyAndy
7th May 2010, 03:40 PM
Say what !!??

Will that make my side panels for me !

and there,s me thinking its a new style of coffee :o :D

lets just admit it Ronnie..... we,re not the generation to understand computers :confused:
well ...it all goes over my head .......I thought a byte is what you get from a dog :D

Nice work MM

cheers
andy

pradaloup
7th May 2010, 05:57 PM
hello
it you are interested, I can be your correspondent for France
my English is not very good, excuse me

dogwood
7th May 2010, 06:19 PM
I bet it's better than my French, Pradaloup.

Go for it......:D

CaptainCrash1971
7th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi guys
just got a flyer through at work today advertising embroidered polo shirts, sweatshirts and the like.
This month they have an offer of 50x polo shirts with free logo for £199, and 20x sweatshirts for £150.
They also do them individually on the website.
Just thought you guys in charge might be interested.
The website is LINK (http://www.krowmarkworkwear.com)
Hope that link works, never done one before.:D
To get the above offers you have to quote F-JUNE10
Cheers
Alan

MightyMouth
7th May 2010, 11:13 PM
A little more evolution, I thought the tyre marks were a good effect but a little too much so have toned it down a little. Its almost there I think, just a few more details.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/S-SPa7uivOI/AAAAAAAAEtA/XcbGnGdJllY/s1024/Current.jpg

dogwood
7th May 2010, 11:20 PM
Hi mate.
think you're right about the tyre marks.
Like just the little bit in the corner.

Just a thought, have you tried colour on the name wording?
Might not work, just a thought.

MightyMouth
7th May 2010, 11:31 PM
You mean the HSCC or the Haynes Sports Car Club? I could put a little blue in the Full name bit but I think the chrome look suits the style.

tkpm
8th May 2010, 12:43 AM
I think the Haynes Sports Car Club needs to stand out just a little bit more, apart from that, it look great.

Davey
8th May 2010, 06:45 AM
I think the chrome wording looks good but I liked the tyre marks running down both sides.

D.

aerosam
8th May 2010, 08:30 AM
MM that's looking great, really like the latest evolution.

dogwood
8th May 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Keith

It's the "Haynes Sports Car Club" bit I ment.
I like the chrome effect, just wondered if a tad of colour would help it stand out a bit more.
It may not, It may make it look tooo much.

Trouble is I like bright colours
Check out how my Roadster finished up, Bright Metalic Red !!!!
So probably not the best judge.:o

You mean the HSCC or the Haynes Sports Car Club? I could put a little blue in the Full name bit but I think the chrome look suits the style.

MightyMouth
8th May 2010, 12:49 PM
I think the Haynes Sports Car Club needs to stand out just a little bit more, apart from that, it look great.

Keep in mind that you are seeing a Reduced resolution image and that the full size image is larger and clearer. I will look at adding something to make it stand out a little more but it needs to be in keeping with the overall car theme so the options are limited.

MightyMouth
8th May 2010, 01:28 PM
Here are a few options but to be honest I don't like them as well as the plain chrome. If the consensus is that one of these is better than I will work on that option.

Original Chrome Version
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/S-SPa7uivOI/AAAAAAAAEtA/XcbGnGdJllY/s800/Current.jpg

Yellow/Gold version
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/S-VXbVXBFfI/AAAAAAAAEt8/OA9wIM6SUW4/s800/Gold.jpg

Red Version
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_PkMjTNMiIh4/S-VXav1lmoI/AAAAAAAAEt0/ycqs-E3mQco/s800/Red.jpg

dogwood
8th May 2010, 01:39 PM
Think I'm inclined to agree with you.

Defo not the Red...

Gold not too bad..

But doesn't improve you're original

Thank's for trying though...:)

MightyMouth
8th May 2010, 01:46 PM
Defo not the Red...

Thank's for trying though...:)

And here I though you liked metallic red :)

dogwood
8th May 2010, 01:52 PM
I doooooo like Metalic Red !!!:D

I also like Strongbow cider
But you can get too much of a good thing ;)

baz-r
9th May 2010, 11:08 PM
just like to say im looking forward to the creation and joining the club :)

HandyAndy
10th May 2010, 06:09 PM
3. From the forum I see many avenues for the promotion of products related to the roadster, such as Handy Andy's Flat Pack Chassis Kits, Spud69 and Saturn Sports, even down to Bonzo providing nuts and bolts kits.

Comments please, or PM me if you have complaints.

Dave

David,

I,m sorry but i must make comment....

whilst there is no doubt about your interest in the creation of the "club" & your time & effort in your research into various aspects of creating a club.

BUT

I must say this ..............

The creation of the club is not to solely advertise suppliers,

The main reason for suggesting a club be created was to inform any interested folk who are not aware of this forum of how to find like minded & current builders etc etc by the means of having a contact point available for inclusion in the magazines available in the "Kit Car World",

I,ll be the first to say that the club WILL NOT clash with this forum in any way whatsoever, purely an extension of it,

lets not forget that we are very fortunate to have this forum , I , as the nominated secretary will always ensure that we do not jeopardise the fantastic forum we have.

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
10th May 2010, 06:32 PM
Hello,

As I am still sorting out legal stuff with regards a Chat Room.

If you are interested in a sneak preview

click on this link

http://www.hotconference.com/conference,23372722

I will be there for the next hour.

After that time this room will be password protected again, after all it is my personal room, you are all welcome to ask me questions via video, audio or text chat.

Dave

all suggestions of this nature should follow a process of being submitted to the club committee & thru discussions with Haynes the suggestion & feedback would be announced.

please follow the correct procedure.

thanks
andy

David_17
10th May 2010, 06:46 PM
This may be a silly question, but what's the difference between the haynes roadster forum and a club?

HandyAndy
10th May 2010, 06:53 PM
This may be a silly question, but what's the difference between the haynes roadster forum and a club?

Hi David,

The reason we have decided to create a club was to be able to have a contact point so that we have info printed in car magazines for people that are not aware of this forum but still read the kit car magazines, and then direct them to this forum.
then from this we will be able to arrange club events & hopefully discounts on products such as insurance etc, we,ll also have some club products...T shirts/mugs/stickers etc etc

not a silly question at all :)

cheers
andy

David_17
10th May 2010, 06:56 PM
So do you mean making this forum into a club, or creating another forum along side it??

HandyAndy
10th May 2010, 07:07 PM
So do you mean making this forum into a club, or creating another forum along side it??

No, this is where we are very lucky, we have this fantastic forum already, but in the kit car magazines when they print info to all the different clubs of kit cars , the haynes forum wasn,t able to be included in the listing, so by creating a club we can then do this & inform folk who read the magazines and maybe are thinking of building a car they can then find info on building a "book car" by finding a link to this forum.
And so we are able to promote the concept of building a car from the Haynes Book publications.

cheers
andy

David_17
10th May 2010, 07:33 PM
...in the kit car magazines when they print info to all the different clubs of kit cars , the haynes forum wasn,t able to be included in the listing...

Why not??

Surely, turning this site into an official club would be easier than having two forums??

HandyAndy
10th May 2010, 07:43 PM
Why not??

Surely, turning this site into an official club would be easier than having two forums??

the magazines welcome info from clubs for inclusion in their publications but as this forum isn,t a club, as its hosted by the Haynes brand name which includes publications of the haynes manuals that we,ve all used when repairing /servicing vehicles etc it isn,t classed as a defined "Marque" of car, so the reason for creating a club.

The idea of a forum on the club site has been discussed but felt that the club should promote THIS forum & its use, as its already here & of great help to people that know its available,
the club will run alongside this forum & won,t be competing with it, purely an addition to it to allow events etc to be arranged & to be able to reach all possible builders by the means of info in club listings in the magazines.

cheers
andy

slimtater
10th May 2010, 08:12 PM
I think the proposal of a club makes perfect sense. After all, in 2 years time when all the builders currently using this forum have moved on to become owners/users/drivers, it would be great to have club that focusses on being an owner/driver.
The forum would continue to offer advice, support, contacts and information sharing about the building of a Haynes book car (be it Roadster.......) but the club would be more about "well I have built it and now want to do something with it".
Lots of car clubs have a forum as an offshoot so nothing wrong with doing it the opposite way around.
As long as Haynes want it to, the forum will exist.
As long as owners of Haynes book built cars want it to, the club will exist.

David_17
10th May 2010, 08:17 PM
I think the proposal of a club makes perfect sense. After all, in 2 years time when all the builders currently using this forum have moved on to become owners/users/drivers, it would be great to have club that focusses on being an owner/driver.
The forum would continue to offer advice, support, contacts and information sharing about the building of a Haynes book car (be it Roadster.......) but the club would be more about "well I have built it and now want to do something with it".
Lots of car clubs have a forum as an offshoot so nothing wrong with doing it the opposite way around.
As long as Haynes want it to, the forum will exist.
As long as owners of Haynes book built cars want it to, the club will exist.

When put like that, it makes perfect sense. Thanks :D

gingea1pom
10th May 2010, 08:25 PM
Just to say the same thing as HandyAndy in a different way!

The forum is the most fantastic resource for someone building a Haynes roadster, whenever I chat to someone we always comment along the lines “I don’t know how I would have got as far as I have without the forum” notwithstanding the few who have built without ever finding it.

We the forum members will never own or have control of the forum, it belongs to Haynes.

We the HSCC will not have a club forum the Haynes forum will remain.

The reason we want a club is so we can belong to something along with like minded people, If you tried to go to an insurance company, organise a track day or get discount from a major supplier and said we are the Haynes Forum I don’t think it would have as much clout as we are the Haynes Sports Car Club.

I want to go to a club web site and look up club events and go along with my club Polo shirt on with my keys on a club key ring and make friends for life with like minded individuals, I want to have a club stand at Stoneleigh with a marquee with a big banner with a few club members cars out the front talking to interested individuals all day long, inviting them to join the club.

With a forum there is no command and control, no one to hold accountable. A club will work much better.

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom
10th May 2010, 08:56 PM
Hello,

As I am still sorting out legal stuff with regards a Chat Room.

If you are interested in a sneak preview

click on this link

http://www.hotconference.com/conference,23372722

I will be there for the next hour.

After that time this room will be password protected again, after all it is my personal room, you are all welcome to ask me questions via video, audio or text chat.

Dave

Dave,

I missed this by 20 minutes but clicked it any way.

Wow my inbuilt camera in the laptop sprung into life, I kind of want to give it a go now.

If we had a chat room for members only I could see me getting no sleep.

I personally, without giving it any thought, love the idea.

Cheers Ginge

Bonzo
10th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Just to say the same thing as HandyAndy in a different way!

The forum is the most fantastic resource for someone building a Haynes roadster, whenever I chat to someone we always comment along the lines “I don’t know how I would have got as far as I have without the forum” notwithstanding the few who have built without ever finding it.

We the forum members will never own or have control of the forum, it belongs to Haynes.

We the HSCC will not have a club forum the Haynes forum will remain.

The reason we want a club is so we can belong to something along with like minded people, If you tried to go to an insurance company, organise a track day or get discount from a major supplier and said we are the Haynes Forum I don’t think it would have as much clout as we are the Haynes Sports Car Club.

I want to go to a club web site and look up club events and go along with my club Polo shirt on with my keys on a club key ring and make friends for life with like minded individuals, I want to have a club stand at Stoneleigh with a marquee with a big banner with a few club members cars out the front talking to interested individuals all day long, inviting them to join the club.

With a forum there is no command and control, no one to hold accountable. A club will work much better.

Cheers Ginge

I'll second each and every word of that Ginge :)

---------------------------------------------------------

Here' a little yarn from me !!

Life long fabricator welder & mechanics runs through my blood.

My late father was ex Fleet Air Arm, airframe fitter & engineer..... When he retired , He was Chief Engineer in Britannia Airways ( Luton airport )

All of us boys were taught to do all of our own fixing on all things mechanical ;)

To the point of my yarn !!??

Could I have built my car without the help of this forum ? ...." Probably "

Would I have completed my build or had an even better build ? ..... Hell, NO .... With my ongoing health problems, I would have given the build up ages ago :eek:

It is thanks to each and every forum member that I have the desire & motivation to get my build completed & on the Road.

The thought of turning up at Stoneleigh in my own build, keeps me going :)

gingea1pom
10th May 2010, 09:31 PM
I'll second each and every word of that Ginge :)

Thank you Ronnie

tkpm
10th May 2010, 09:43 PM
Well said Ronnie

Bonzo
10th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Sorry to say this David, I think your last post needs to be deleted promptly

This is not the kind of post that can be tollerated on a public forum !!?? :(

I feel I have no option, other than report this post to the forum admin as the contents of this post are libelous in content.

Take a chill pill mate, you know it makes sense :)

gingea1pom
10th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately my brother Handy Andy (The New Club Secretary, self impressed!!!)

Not self impressed (I think you mean self imposed) we voted.

Has telephoned me over the last couple of hours to let me know that he is not happy with my recent posts regarding the new "Chat Room" as if it has anything to do with him!!!

Everything to do with him, he has the clubs best interests at heart and he was voted as Secretary.

he also said he was going to come up to my house and knife me!

Hear say call the police!

The reason that he wants to knife me is because I offered my help to provide the club with a chat room.

Anyway, i am sat here without any weapons as Andy is a short person anyway, and not a threat to me.

What are you trying to do now get some sympathy, really pointless sentence.

If this is an example of the "Club's" behaviior of it's Committee Members or Club Members I wish you all the best, and good luck, you will need it.

Right committee members, I take that personally I am a committee member, what have I ever done to you except welcome you to the forum and shook your hand at Stoneligh.

We have NEVER had any trouble on the forum except your post. I do not have to stick up for Andy because mark my words there will be pages and pages of people denouncing you and championing Andy.

You have lost my friend it was nice to meat you, how wrong a first impression can be, I will do my upmost to get you removed as a user, not a threat, a promise.

Tatey
10th May 2010, 10:16 PM
David I have to say I agree with Bonzo in all respect in regards to your post. It is not the kind of thing to be posted on a public forum, regardless if it is true or not.

This forum has never had any 'bitchy' behaviour, and I really don't hope you damage the spirited community of this forum by making such serious accusations against another member, especially your brother.

I also can't see Andy being capable of making such comments towards another person, especially over such a trivial mater.

Bonzo
10th May 2010, 10:38 PM
For what it is worth here is my viewpoint.

As an elected general committee member, I do feel that I have been slighted by David's comments :(

I might add, comments made by a person that has an axe to grind for reasons only known to their self :confused:

Having known Andy both pesonally & profesionally for the best part of 18 months .... I am left in no doubt that he has the best interests of the forum & Haynes Sports Car Club at heart.
I am confident that Andy will work himself to a standstill for the benefit of one & all.

I am sure that the Committee are very gratefull of your offer of web hosting & video conferencing David but I am sure that the clubs IT committee members have things well covered !!

Sorry to say this David, If you have joined this forum for some kind of ulterior motive .... I think it best you bow out gracefully :rolleyes:

This forum is a happy place, I for one, want to keep it this way :)

twinturbo
10th May 2010, 10:42 PM
UNOFFICIAL THREAD LOCK

Cool Down Time.

les g
10th May 2010, 10:43 PM
Please dont drag this forum down to the same levels as other forums......
this forum has only been so successful because it has been self-regulating and driven on with goodwill, and a whole heap of banter....

We were present at the meeting at Stoneleigh and can assure anyone who is interested that the meeting was held in as sincere and professional a manner as was needed to be , to set the groundings for a club .

Handyandy has been influential in setting up the club agreed ,but there has/had been plenty of time for nominations of club officers..and those there voted as they saw fit..
if Andy does a crap job, at the next agm we,re sure there are enough people with a spine to say so and vote accordingly ( personally we have faith in Andy )

It is a club people have the right to join or not .....
its not a compulsory part of using this forum.to be a member of the club
please remember we live in a democracy.....

please remove your post and dont bring your squabbles on here as it only attracts the type of people this forum ..DOES NOT NEED
thank you
Les g and TJ

twinturbo
10th May 2010, 10:47 PM
UNOFFICIAL THREAD LOCK

Cool Down Time

Davey
10th May 2010, 11:39 PM
WTF???

Today I have paid my last respects to a friend of 20 years, my wife and daughters have provided a spread for over 100 people and everyone has been nothing but friendly and sociable, revelling in the life of the deceased, no major sadness and no nastiness.

I come on here late at night to see what's happening and what do I find? ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS being spouted from one brother to another!

David, you need a reality check my friend, speak to your brother via the phone before you post on the forum, please?

Apologising after the event doesn't cut the mustard, just don't do it!

I volunteered as a general committee member just like Bonzo and I too take offence at your slight of committee members in general based on your own personal disagreement with your brother!

Sort out your arguments in private and present a united front please!

D.

AshG
11th May 2010, 12:15 PM
I have only just seen this.

This kind of thing is totally out of order.

First and last warning. Even though Haynes run the forum its not impossible to have members banned.

baz-r
11th May 2010, 01:19 PM
i cant beleve my eyes :(
people get a grip of your selfs please for this forum and the new club to be.

to be honest this is no place for such comments.

also there is no reason why this forum and the new club cant run in harmony side by side.

one is a club and the other is a forum. some people may wish to be on one or both

some people may wish to join just the forum to get an idea before thay even start where as the commited would also be a club as well

Davey
11th May 2010, 05:54 PM
i cant beleve my eyes :(
people get a grip of your selfs please for this forum and the new club to be.

to be honest this is no place for such comments.

also there is no reason why this forum and the new club cant run in harmony side by side.

one is a club and the other is a forum. some people may wish to be on one or both

some people may wish to join just the forum to get an idea before thay even start where as the commited would also be a club as well

Here's a bottle of rum and your an ambulance:D :D !

D.

CaptainCrash1971
11th May 2010, 09:35 PM
I haven't followed this thread for a few days, so reading it today made my heart sink a little, I was concerned it had sunk to the level of other forums on here. Reading the last few pages has just made me grateful that I have been using this forum for a few weeks, it's not a good impression to new members on here.
Personally I think that the posts that have been made should now be deleted if anyone has the power to do so, to protect the integrity of this forum.

I am also all for the owners club, it's an excellent idea and will be really good to have a group of like minded loons that can meet up and enjoy their cars together.

I also want to be able to tell people I own a Haynes Roadster, and the same as Ginge, I want my HSCC t-shirt, keyring and mug.

I wasn't able to make the club AGM at Stoneleigh, and so I am more than happy to go along with the crowd. I don't feel I'm in any position to belittle the good work that everyone has put in so far. Let's just get on with setting up the club, pop the toys back in the pram, and restore OUR lovely forum back to it's former glory.
Rant over :)

spud69
11th May 2010, 10:31 PM
Same here Bob, having hardly been on the forum recently i've just come upto date with this.

Basically i can't believe that anybody is questioning the Integrity of particular individuals and that certain things have been said in posts. The main reason that i cant be bothered with other forums is that you always seem to have to worry about what is being said behind your back or what comments or posts you might be missing out on, Haynes forum being much more laid back and relaxed and fun to be around for as long or as short as you care to be each day.

The club is an excellent idea and is just the step forward that the Haynes builders is ready for, having spent the stoneleigh weekend on a stand opposite the Westfield Sports Cars Club stand its easy to get an appreciation for the size and popularity that these clubs can attract. WSCC being the biggest stand at the show.

Having spent a lot of time working with HAndy and also knowing other forum members quite well i cant believe anybodys integrity or amount of effort being put into development of this club, for the benefit of builders and not individuals, is being questioned. Just wish i had time to be more involved but as i have said previously any way that Saturn can assist as a company. The type of effort that Bonzo is putting in for the bolt packs, fantastic value, is a fantastic example of the type of benefits a club will be to builders.

I know plenty has been said but i couldn't sit back and say nothing, after being involved with the Forum for 2 years i've never seen anything like this over that time, sure we can all get back to normal.

Regards.....AndyH

ps - not sure how you can say you are passionate about a forum after 7 posts.

twinturbo
11th May 2010, 11:09 PM
Been modding forums for 10 years. Never had a situation quite like this.

TT

CaptainCrash1971
11th May 2010, 11:27 PM
Can the offending posts be removed TT?
I think I speak for 99.9% of the regulars on here when I say it's lowering the integrity of the forum and off-putting to new members.
I only joined the forum a couple of months ago, and without the friendliness and helpfulness of you guys, I don't know if I'd have continued coming on, and almost certainly wouldn't have invested my hard earned cash on a chassis.
I wouldn't like to think potential new builders would be put off by one persons opinions.
All the guys involved in the setting up of the owners club deserve support and recognition, not accused of profiteering and their integrity questioned.

Davey
12th May 2010, 06:13 AM
I think it should now be safe to put those posts behind us and move forwards. Keith (Mighty Mouth) has been developing a style for the new club website and I'm sure Handy is beavering away to get technical and legal stuff sorted like registering with the data protection commissioner etc. None of this is going to happen overnight and as I recall Handy did suggest that we give a bit of time so that forum members who couldn't be at Stoneleigh could give their input. Perhaps an update of progress if there is any?

One point that I don't recall being discussed was the opening of a bank account, I know we discussed signatories but I don't recall anything about which bank to go with. On this point might I suggest we try the Co-op? I have my business bank account with the Co-op and apart from their online banking system being flaky they're pretty good. Online banking won't be an issue as I believe Ash pointed out that clubs will not be given this facility anyway. Co-op pay interest on my business current account too so they might be worth looking at, just a suggestion.

D.

Enoch
12th May 2010, 08:27 AM
I can't believe what I have just read in this thread:mad:
This forum is by far the best I have ever come across, the knowledge, helpfulness and humour of the people here is exceptional. My build would be nowhere near where it is without the enormous amount of help and encouragement I have had from many members on here. To see some of those members being berated by somebody is, quite frankly, upsetting.
For what it is worth I believe a club would be a great idea, I will certainly be running a discount scheme for all members, I am sure the club will be of tremendous value to builders and drivers of completed cars alike. I have never met Andy but I have dealt with him on many occasions, had I been at Stoneleigh I am sure he would have had my vote.
Enough said.
Enoch.

gingea1pom
12th May 2010, 09:53 AM
Davey,

As you say lets move on.

I am going to spend the rest of the week looking into a bank account for the club any information from you guys that have run clubs before will be really helpful.

Davey your thoughts have been noted and are as always very helpful.

Keith if you are reading this is there any chance you could send me (via email gingeatwell@virginmedia.com ) the logo you have done for the HSCC in the top left of the screen shots of the HSCC web page. Ideally in it’s separate components, ie.
The Haynes colours,
Laurel wreath
Chassis
HSCC, letters.

It is just I want to play around with it to make it good for T-Shirts/Polo shirts, as black doesn’t stand out well on a dark blue or green polo shirt!

Moving on.

Cheers Ginge

Davey
12th May 2010, 10:12 AM
One reason I like the Co-Op bank that I forgot to mention earlier is they are an ethical bank. That is to say they only invest in ethical products.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206375355,CFSweb/Page/Bank

D.

tkpm
12th May 2010, 01:59 PM
The archery club i belong to uses Alliance & Leicester Commercial, we have had no problems with them over the years and they also give interest on the account.

Terry

gingea1pom
12th May 2010, 03:06 PM
Terry,

I will give them a bell in the morning thanks.

Cheers Ginge

MightyMouth
12th May 2010, 06:39 PM
Davey,

As you say lets move on.

I am going to spend the rest of the week looking into a bank account for the club any information from you guys that have run clubs before will be really helpful.

Davey your thoughts have been noted and are as always very helpful.

Keith if you are reading this is there any chance you could send me (via email gingeatwell@virginmedia.com ) the logo you have done for the HSCC in the top left of the screen shots of the HSCC web page. Ideally in it’s separate components, ie.
The Haynes colours,
Laurel wreath
Chassis
HSCC, letters.

It is just I want to play around with it to make it good for T-Shirts/Polo shirts, as black doesn’t stand out well on a dark blue or green polo shirt!

Moving on.

Cheers Ginge

Have you got Photoshop? If so I can send the layered image. Otherwise what format would you like it in. The problem is that it is quite low resolution so will not be great for T-shirts etc.

gingea1pom
12th May 2010, 06:43 PM
Keith,

Photoshop CS2 is my preferred weapon of choice, I am a qualified photographer I’ll have you know,:D so a PSD would be fantastic thanks, I should be able to make it high res.

Thank you very much,

Ginge

Urmyworld
19th May 2010, 05:45 PM
Hello all,

I feel compelled to inform you of the response I received from Haynes.co.uk regarding a request for the "Consent and Approval" of use of the name "Haynes" within a domain name.

As per Haynes.co.uk "Terms and Conditions" policy, I contacted Haynes.co.uk on the afternoon of 10th May 2010. for consent and approval for including their name within a domain name that I intended to purchase.

Haynes.co.uk responded by advising me that the use of the name "Haynes" is not granted within a domain name, however, they did grant me permission to link to, including deeplinks to both their website Haynes.co.uk and this Forum.

I bring this to your attention, as I am aware that you are in the process of creating a membership club based on the "Haynes Roadster".

I must point out that the permissions that I have received, are directly associated with my request to Haynes.co.uk.

If you require similar permissions, you must request these through Haynes.co.uk yourself.

From the information received, the name of your club needs to be re-evaluated to conform to Haynes.co.uk policy.

Therefore, I have created an "Open Chat Room" for all Forum members to gather, (maximum seats available at any one time is 100) to discuss this matter and anything else.

There are no advertisements, nothing, so long as you are over 18 years of age you may use this service, which is a free service that I am offering.

I will keep this open until 20:00 hours this evening, after that the room will be closed down, until the same time tomorrow 18:00 - 20:00 hours BST.
Click here
http://www.hotconference.com/conference,75479794

Please sign in with your forum username for recognition purposes.

DAVID

spud69
19th May 2010, 06:14 PM
I have not had much time to be part of the instigation and development of the roadster owners club BUT i'm sure that all permissions have already been sought via Haynes for use of the name and relevant rights. I'm sure that the relevant people will be along shortly to clarify exactly what has been carried out.

For a first post David, could you first introduce yourself, atleast, before submitting a post of this nature.

Thanks.....AndyH

gingea1pom
19th May 2010, 07:04 PM
Here we go again, my bold

I feel compelled to inform you of the response I received from Haynes.co.uk regarding a request for the "Consent and Approval" of use of the name "Haynes" within a domain name.

Sorry are you on the committee, is the club having the word ‘Haynes’ in the domain name.

As per Haynes.co.uk "Terms and Conditions" policy, I contacted Haynes.co.uk on the afternoon of 10th May 2010. for consent and approval for including their name within a domain name that I intended to purchase.

Well done bully for you there are people who have closer links to Haynes than you or I. Please keep your nose out and stop jeopardizing their attempts at getting Haynes on side.

Haynes.co.uk responded by advising me that the use of the name "Haynes" is not granted within a domain name, however, they did grant me permission to link to, including deeplinks to both their website Haynes.co.uk and this Forum.

Why would they grant a complete stranger, who has requested to use their name out of the blue, permission.

I bring this to your attention, as I am aware that you are in the process of creating a membership club based on the "Haynes Roadster".

Wrong, get your facts right before jumping in with both feet, again.

I must point out that the permissions that I have received, are directly associated with my request to Haynes.co.uk.

Exactly why did you bother you have done more harm than good.

If you require similar permissions, you must request these through Haynes.co.uk yourself.

Really, you reckon, we are doing it!

From the information received, the name of your club needs to be re-evaluated to conform to Haynes.co.uk policy.

How about we decide things like this.

twinturbo
19th May 2010, 07:17 PM
For a first post David, could you first introduce yourself, atleast, before submitting a post of this nature.

Thanks.....AndyH

It's not the first post, all the others have been removed.

TT

Urmyworld
19th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

I totally understand what gingea1pom is saying, I should keep my nose out!

However, if you read my original post, hopefully, you will realize that I am providing an update on the legalities of forming a club, with the possibility / intention of using the "Haynes" name within the domain name.

Admittedly, each request is considered on it's own merits, as indeed my request was dealt with.

I am merely pointing out that the use of the "Haynes" name must be approved by "Haynes" themselves.

I apologise, if I have jumped the gun, but as no confirmation of the new club name has appeared on this forum, I assumed that, so far "no progress" has been attempted or made.

I am only trying to provide info.

DAVID

gingea1pom
19th May 2010, 07:42 PM
David,

I understand where you are coming from, but there are people who have some clout with Haynes that are in talks with them.

If they allow us to call the club the Haynes Sports Car Club we could possibly use the domain name HSCC.

Please don’t now go and ask Haynes if you can call a club the Haynes Sports Car Club!

Please let those that are working behind the scenes do their work.

Enough said?

Urmyworld
19th May 2010, 07:59 PM
hello gingea1pom and all,

Yes, thank you for your response.

My intention was to inform, about the legality issue, which I have done.

Unfortunately, hscc.com is already owned and seems to be an eastern oriental website.

This is what I was trying to get at, get a domain name and permissions etc.

This info not only applies to the new "Club" but also to anyone that intends to create a website of their own build, mentioning a trademark, such as Haynes.

Trademarks and copyright or serious matters to be considered.

David

slimtater
19th May 2010, 08:17 PM
I was sad when I sold my Roadster but always wanted to remain loyal to the forum (and friends from it). I even offered to assist the new club as a vehicle registrar - linking in with the engraved build plaques I purchased.
However, reading posts like the above make me think perhaps it's time to move on?
The forum attack last year was bad enough - especially all the crap on LCB before it happened. I just now get that bad feeling again that someone seems to want to come along and spoil things.
G'day and good luck all!
slim

John Marchant
19th May 2010, 08:49 PM
I for one just want to voice my support for the comittee members (many whom I met at Stoneleigh). Although I couldn't stay for the meeting in the evening, I felt very comfortable that all who attended had the clubs best interest at heart and showed a real commitment to doing things the right way. I think the certain posts could undermine the good work being carried out by the elected committe and if a forum member has genuine concerns about anything then a PM would be preferable in the first instance, it's just common courtesy in my opinion. Keep up the good work guys.

baz-r
19th May 2010, 09:28 PM
I for one just want to voice my support for the comittee members (many whom I met at Stoneleigh). Although I couldn't stay for the meeting in the evening, I felt very comfortable that all who attended had the clubs best interest at heart and showed a real commitment to doing things the right way. I think the certain posts could undermine the good work being carried out by the elected committe and if a forum member has genuine concerns about anything then a PM would be preferable in the first instance, it's just common courtesy in my opinion. Keep up the good work guys.

HERE HERE !

im sure the comitte are quiet ok with sorting the details on thair own
if thay need help im sure thay can ask for it from thoes who thay think is best for the job.
lets no mess it all up for everyone

Urmyworld
19th May 2010, 10:23 PM
Hello all,

I look forward to hearing the name of your new club, along with it's URL.

David

davidimurray
19th May 2010, 11:28 PM
urmyworld - while you may think you are helping please let the committee get on and do its job.

Having been on this forum for over 18 months now (since I first considered building the car) I have to say that it is the most pleasant helpful and friendly forum I have ever been on. The reason people are so angry about your interference is because of the passion and comradeship they have built up on this forum. I have made a number of friends on here and the generosity and banter is fantastic. It feels like I am chatting with old friends when I come on here - no question is too stupid and everyone helps each other out unconditionally.

You seem to have appeared from nowhere and bulldozed your way in, thinking you are helping. If you believe you can help then please contact one of the committee members. There is no hierarchy on the this forum - this forum exists in such a brilliant way because of the mutual respect we all have to each other - from teenagers to OAPs, engineers to accountants all helping each other out. Please don't think that you will get away with railroading your way into a position of power on this forum - the committee members are all in place because they are trusted, respected members of the roadster community. I am 100% behind the club and will do anything I can to assist the committee if they require any assistance.

Now please let the guys get on and sort the club out - I'm sure official announcements will follow in due course.

deezee
20th May 2010, 10:18 AM
Having only just read through the recent posts on this thread, I'm also a little taken aback by the counter-productive efforts.... but that's neither here nor there in the bigger picture of starting a club.

I'd just like to cheekily enquire about some features I've thought need centralisation. The honest fact is we need a forum with more sections. We need a place for our build diaries, FAQs and tips and tricks to assist the new guys asking about revisions and IVA modifications. A proper photo gallery would be a god send, so people can not only put there build photos on, but look through and see how other people have done it.

I would have thought a massive benefit of a club, is to pass on knowledge from a build. Sadly the free forum offered by Haynes, I feel, has been out grown. Its great, but lacks features and management (as highlighted by the earlier posts).

twinturbo
20th May 2010, 10:51 AM
All the other functions can be part of the website, personaly I don't like forums with tooo many categories it just gets dis-jointed.

Having used/run/moderated/admined car forums for 10+ years I think this one works quite well as it stands.

The only issue is the moderation. Not that it generaly needs much.

TT

Urmyworld
20th May 2010, 10:59 AM
Hello all,

The intention of my post referring to the use of the Haynes name within a domain name was to bring this to the attention of all 1688 members of this forum, and was not aimed at just the club.

For example, if my name was David Haynes, and I was going to set up a gardening website, I do not think that I would require permission from Haynes to use the domain name DavidHaynesGardens.com as this would be obvious that I am David Haynes and my website is about gardens.

As opposed to someone creating a website about the Haynes Roadster that they have built and using the domain name "mywonderfulhaynesroadster.com" this would be going against Haynes policy and could land the person in trouble.

I hope this further explains the reason for my post, I was only raising awareness of this issue to the forum members and not having a go at the club.

David

deezee
20th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Twin Turbo, yes your right, those additional features could be part of the website as a whole, but rather than trying to write a bespoke website to integrate those features as separate elements, I imagine it would be easier to use existing features on solid forum software. Another attack on the forums or club would be a disaster and I can see the requirement for some robust software.

Plus I think that any and all facilities of the club should be independent of any persons (so far as reasonably practicable). If someone falls out, leaves, becomes ill etc, then we could end up loosing these resources.

Also the idea of an "elected" committee is a little grand for a vote by 0.5% of the members of forum. I think its great that people are volunteering their free time to organise such a resource for builders/owners etc, I just think that if I'm going to pay a subscription/membership then these committee members could be properly voted upon by clubs members, after the club has been established for X months.

Bonzo
20th May 2010, 01:02 PM
Also the idea of an "elected" committee is a little grand for a vote by 0.5% of the members of forum. I think its great that people are volunteering their free time to organise such a resource for builders/owners etc, I just think that if I'm going to pay a subscription/membership then these committee members could be properly voted upon by clubs members, after the club has been established for X months.

Just a few points to make if I may !!

To date, this forum has 1,688 members only 279 choose to be an active part of the forum :(

So to correct the .5% statement .... Less than 20% of the forum members are active & in order to express any personal preference " You need to be active " !!

It is a sad fact of life that in order to set up any form of club, an interim committee will need to be in place before inception .
This is vital to give the club a solid starting foundation.

Many forum members have welcomed the formation of some form of Builders Club .... Action was taken at Stoneleigh to ensure the dream becomes a reality, otherwise it would remain " Nothing more than a pipe dream " ;)

It was decided at Stoneleigh that 30 days should be allowed to pass, in order for all forum members not attending the show, have a fair chance to air their views .

I am sure that all of the interim committee members would welcome the input of all forum members.

It is only right that once the club is up and running, votes can be taken in order to have a committee that has the full backing of the club membership.

Anyone who objects to any of the clubs interim committee members should say so.

So come on folks .... Air your views & say what you mean .... We need input to get the club off the ground :)

deezee
20th May 2010, 04:44 PM
The point I was making (albeit very poorly) was that, myself, not following this particular thread, had to go through 100+ posts, 13 pages in, to find the declaration of the club and its committee.

I thoroughly support a proper owners club and hope to take full advantage of it. However there was no post in the "Announcements section" to bring this 30 day deadline to anyone's attention, otherwise the idea of community involvement is a little defunct, if your not bringing it to the attention of the community.

All I'm saying is that you need to separate out the chit chat from important announcements.

HandyAndy
20th May 2010, 05:47 PM
The point I was making (albeit very poorly) was that, myself, not following this particular thread, had to go through 100+ posts, 13 pages in, to find the declaration of the club and its committee.

I thoroughly support a proper owners club and hope to take full advantage of it. However there was no post in the "Announcements section" to bring this 30 day deadline to anyone's attention, otherwise the idea of community involvement is a little defunct, if your not bringing it to the attention of the community.

All I'm saying is that you need to separate out the chit chat from important announcements.

That is a fair point Deezee, I must take responsibility for the information of the voted in committee being kept on this thread, in hindsight it may have been better to post that information under a new thread on the announcements section, apologies for this , but my thinking was to try and keep it all in the same thread.
A fair a constructive point Deezee :)

cheers
andy

MightyMouth
20th May 2010, 06:35 PM
Handy,

Rather than a whole new thread, why not an announcement post pointing to the first post about the club?

One of the only problems with this forum is that we do not have any admin rights in order to post announcements then close the thread to to stop additional post and also that we cannot make sticky threads of important information.

HandyAndy
20th May 2010, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=MightyMouth;38523]Handy,

Rather than a whole new thread, why not an announcement post pointing to the first post about the club?

/QUOTE]

MM......good idea, i take it you mean a link to the relevant post showing the discussions that were held at stoneleigh?
As Deezee has pointed out the info has been hidden within this thread, maybe its due to the popularity of the whole idea.
If so then thats a good solution to a highlighted problem, :cool:

Would you be kind enough to create that link please Mighty Mouth ?

cheers
andy

twinturbo
20th May 2010, 06:46 PM
Twin Turbo, yes your right, those additional features could be part of the website as a whole, but rather than trying to write a bespoke website to integrate those features as separate elements, I imagine it would be easier to use existing features on solid forum software. Another attack on the forums or club would be a disaster and I can see the requirement for some robust software.

There's no need for a Bespoke site, there's content engines out there that will do all you want and more

TT

MightyMouth
20th May 2010, 08:07 PM
There's no need for a Bespoke site, there's content engines out there that will do all you want and more

TT

Yes, I am planning on using Joomla with a custom template.

MightyMouth
20th May 2010, 08:07 PM
Would you be kind enough to create that link please Mighty Mouth ?

cheers
andy

No Problem

HandyAndy
20th May 2010, 08:17 PM
No Problem

Thanks MM, just seen the link, :cool:

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
20th May 2010, 08:20 PM
Keith,

How did you make it go straight to the post and not the start of the thread?

I started to think I was getting good at creating links, that put me back in my box.

MightyMouth
20th May 2010, 09:46 PM
Keith,

How did you make it go straight to the post and not the start of the thread?

I started to think I was getting good at creating links, that put me back in my box.

Haha, there are several ways but the easiest is to look in the upper right corner of the post and find the number, in this case it shows #125. That number is a link to the post but if you use that link it will only show that post and not the rest of the thread, the trick is to alter that URL.

If you look at the URL for the post it is "http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37541&postcount=125"

The bit after the PHP? is the important bit. p=37541 is the global forum post number and the &postcount=125 is the thread post number which adds the number in the upper right corner. This makes it link only to that post without the rest of the thread.

If you replace the &postcount=125 with &post=37541 so the link looks like "http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37541&post=37541" that will make it go to the the post within the thread.

If you leave off the &post=37541 so the link looks like "http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37541" it will do the same as if you leave the &postcount=125 except it won't show the post number in the upper right corner.

Does that make any sense at all? :D

Edit:

Actually I just noticed the real easiest way is to click the number in the upper right then on the page that opens copy the link above that number that says Thread: such and such

twinturbo
20th May 2010, 09:50 PM
hover over the post number on the right of the post

spud69
21st May 2010, 10:30 AM
Does that make any sense at all? :D

No MM......:confused:

We can build cars but we cant do everything.....;)

MightyMouth
24th May 2010, 05:51 PM
It might be a bot early to start thinking about but there is a Gazebo on sale at Aldi this week (http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_14237.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-05-24-16-01)

gingea1pom
24th May 2010, 05:56 PM
MM,

I like it, thats a good price, we have some cash in the bank as well, we could have two.:eek:

Question is blue or green; they could have sold out before we decide.:D

Ginge

twinturbo
24th May 2010, 05:56 PM
we had a mahuusiev one on the FordPower Stand in 2k8.. Took about 10 of us 45minuets to put it up.. Mind 1/2 had a language barrier issue :)

TT

gingea1pom
24th May 2010, 06:00 PM
we had a mahuusiev one on the FordPower Stand in 2k8.. Took about 10 of us 45minuets to put it up.. Mind 1/2 had a language barrier issue :)

TT

North south language barrier:D

spud69
24th May 2010, 07:04 PM
Looks a good purchase for all the many meets we'll be having, especially with all these cars getting through IVA......:D

Who saw the Westfield Sports Cars Club stand at Stoneleigh, we had our stand next to it, and it was awesome. Biggest stand at the show.

The amount of work people are putting into it, we'll get there.....;)

Keep it up...AndyH

gingea1pom
24th May 2010, 08:16 PM
It might be a bot early to start thinking about but there is a Gazebo on sale at Aldi this week (http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_14237.htm?WT.mc_id=2010-05-24-16-01)

My nearest Aldi is 18 miles away,:mad:

I am trying to convince Nicky we need one. Really it is for extending the length of the garage in the winter.:D

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom
27th May 2010, 10:49 AM
Morning all,

I asked my mother to get me one of the gazebo’s.

she got to her local Aldi (Uxbridge) at 1030, they had sold out.:mad: Bugger.

Ginge

Davey
2nd June 2010, 09:42 PM
I have a 3M X 3M gazebo that the club is welcome to, its red but the canopy is torn at the top (very windy weekend in Newbury last year) so will need some attention from an industrial sewing machine.

Also what is the current state of play regarding the formation of the club please?

D.

HandyAndy
2nd June 2010, 09:56 PM
Also what is the current state of play regarding the formation of the club please?

D.

Hi Davey...

As of yesterday the period of grace to allow all forum members to either object to the voted in committee or to nominate any other forum member to the committee has ended,
So......
The previously announced voted in committee now stands, as will the suggested yearly subscription fee as detailed in the post stating the minutes of the meeting held at Stoneleigh.

I will now forward information for the next stage to all committee members & will seek confirmation from Haynes with regard the suggested club name.

We can now "Put the wheels in motion" & take this club forward to it becoming a fully operational club.

I will be in touch with all committee members shortly.

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
2nd June 2010, 10:00 PM
Don’t call me shortly!:D

Standing by my inbox and am I allowed to add ‘Club Treasurer’ to my signature now the period of objection has passed?

I am so up my own ar**:eek:

Cheers Ginge

Headshot
2nd June 2010, 10:36 PM
Only just found the info in this thread oops!

Apart from a veritable mine of info on this forum, What else will we get (or planned to) for being members?

I have a crisp tenner burning a hole in my pocket at the moment :D

( if this has been discussed and I have missed it, some one just slap me and point me in the general direction of the posts I need to read)