PDA

View Full Version : Got Me Doner

K4KEV
25th April 2010, 11:41 PM
Got my hands on a sierra doner :) 1.6 pinto engine with 65k and sounds sweet
250 notes delivered to the door, also got me a very nice set of alloys & tyres off ebay and going to pick up main steel tomorrow from marshalls of Peterlee ....6 lengths of inch and 2 lengths of 3/4 for £96.00 So I guess I might have to start on the build soon (well after I have promised to do all the "little" jobs I had promised er indoors ) as got t keep gaffer happy
will try to keep updated
K4

tkpm
26th April 2010, 12:50 AM
Nice one K4, now the fun begin's. :)

Don't forget to post pictures and updates of your build, what size ally rims have you got.

Terry

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 08:45 AM
Hi Terry
5 spoke Dezents at 17"....came off a Saph cossy don't half look the dogs even just sitting in a pile (and will be staying there for some time yet:( ) Still a ways off starting as still in the process of collecting but envisage starting the chassis in a month or so
Kevin

HandyAndy
26th April 2010, 08:50 AM
Nice one Kev :cool:
You,ll soon be having fun stripping your donor :D

Thats a very good price for the steel, what lengths of steel are they supplying? as you may want to get an extra 20mm box length, also is the steel ERW ?

best wishes for your build :)

cheers
andy

Bonzo
26th April 2010, 09:27 AM
Well done on finding your donor Kev :cool: :)

You may find that you need to collect an extra length of each size square tube !!
It has been a very long time since I made my chassis but I seem to remember that was the original quantity I had delivered & ended going up for an extra length of each ;)

Not saying that the chassis can't be cut from that quantity but it will be very tight & don't forget, the jigs will use some of the 25 X 25 !! :)

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 12:58 PM
not a problem getting additional steel as the supplier is approx 10 mins from where I live ...Andy the lengths were 7.5m and I 'm fairly certain they are ERW their website is dwmarshall.co.uk.... I phoned around all the usual ones, Parkers, Carters, Pheonix, Corus, but really wanted a local one and hey it is right on my doorstep they even beat Pheonix's qoute...check them out, saving a few quid here and there soon mounts up.

Bonzo
26th April 2010, 01:29 PM
not a problem getting additional steel as the supplier is approx 10 mins from where I live ...Andy the lengths were 7.5m and I 'm fairly certain they are ERW their website is dwmarshall.co.uk.... I phoned around all the usual ones, Parkers, Carters, Pheonix, Corus, but really wanted a local one and hey it is right on my doorstep they even beat Pheonix's qoute...check them out, saving a few quid here and there soon mounts up.

Cool having a stockist so close to home :cool:

Don't forget to have a raid of their scrap bins & cutting room floors .... You'll be surprised at what you might find ;)

All of my plate was from the off-cut bins & the 5" pipe for the rear uprights was found on the cutting room floor, cost a fraction of the retail price :)

My stockist is a 25 min drive for me + if you want the lenghts cut so as it will fit into the car ..... £1 for the first cut & 50p for every extra cut .... That's if they have the time to do it at all :(

twinturbo
26th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Remember to sell off all the sierra parts you don't need. The Sierra Owners club is a good start but don't expect the earth.

TT

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 06:03 PM
here are some piccies ....what a flippen palavour to resize for the forum ....met a real nice guy down at marshalls he was very helpfull no charge for cutting the lengths in half and chatted about the roadster for a good 20mins.... turns out he had a westie some time back, and is liking the idea of building completely from scratch meaning the chassis of course, so might have another convert soon and very handy to know;) ;)

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 06:09 PM
Oh forgot to mention ..Andy the steel is S235 spec and looks identical to the stell used in the manual, I do realise I need to use the ERW stuff for the wishbones and they said they could supply that as well....they are also aluminium stockists plate, durbar,(chequerplate) etc very helpful company they will certainly be my supplier as from now.

CaptainCrash1971
26th April 2010, 06:12 PM
Congrats Kev.
Just taken delivery of my chassis and donor parts today :D . Part of the deal involved an engine hoist. I only live in Tow Law, so if you have transport to collect it and bring it back you can borrow it for your engine out. I'll even come and give you a hand if I'm not at work.
Just let me know if you're interested.
Alan

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 06:20 PM
Hi Alan thats an offer I can't refuse now can I ...good man I see you got well and truly sorted half way through a build and not even started :p :p :p
will be sometime however cos I promised the missus I would move heaven and earth this year .....she's a hard taskmaster but with things like this it gives you the impetus to get stuff done that you promised last week, last month, last year:eek:
you catch my drift, but it is nice to know I will only need to buy an engine stand
cheers Alan

CaptainCrash1971
26th April 2010, 06:46 PM
No probs Kev, I'll probably be keeping it for a while anyway. It will fold up and lie down in the back of a car with the seats down. I was gonna try and manage without an engine stand, but I'm only planning on giving the engine a lick of paint and a clean up.
It's good to know there's someone near to me who's going to be in the same boat.

mark
26th April 2010, 08:02 PM
Hi Terry
5 spoke Dezents at 17"....came off a Saph cossy don't half look the dogs even just sitting in a pile (and will be staying there for some time yet:( ) Still a ways off starting as still in the process of collecting but envisage starting the chassis in a month or so
Kevin

Nice wheels but 17" are big for a seven style car, im a fan of bigger wheels and had 20"s on my last tintop but am sticking with 15" on the roadster for maximum acceleration :D and it will be nice to not have to fork out a fortune on tyres for a change as they wont be lasting long ;)

Also what width are they? the reason i ask is the front cycle wings, they must cover the full width of the tyre for IVA, so check you can get wings to suit the width of your tyres. Im using the saturn ones and they wouldnt cover much more than 195 tyres.

Not saying you dont use them just letting you know the slight draw backs of bigger wheels

gingea1pom
26th April 2010, 08:11 PM
Mark,

I like large wheels as well and kinda like the idea of 17’s. Ash was trying to dissuade me.

With reference to acceleration, if the rolling radius of the 17’s was the same as the 15’s I would assume the acceleration would be the same.

The problem is as you have said the width.

Hijack over.

Cheers Ginge

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Mark
yes I had thought about the width and I need 9" minimum tyres are 215's I know I am opening a can o worms but I coulod not resist those rims and I will do my dammed'st to get them on wheeeeel see eh:D I would not like to break with tradtion and make the roadster purposley harder to build than it already is