PDA

View Full Version : Found a donor - how to get it home?

DStanley1809
26th April 2010, 03:09 PM
I need to get my new donor car to my house from 15 miles away. I've been trying to find out the legality of towing it with either a rope or a bar (I have either readily available) but it seems to be a bit of a grey area with regards to tax, MOT and insurance.

Some information says the car will considered a trailer if towed behind a car so won't need it's own tax etc but other information says to have any wheels on the road it will need it's own. This would mean I need a trailer.

Does anybody have a definitive answer on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

David

deezee
26th April 2010, 03:32 PM
If the vehicle is moving on the public highway it requires tax and MOT. The exceptions to this are if its going to a pre-booked MOT test. You need to put it on a trailer in order to move it. Hiring a car trailer costs around £40 per day.

Bonzo
26th April 2010, 03:58 PM
Hi david

I guess a recovery truck would be the ultimate super safe choice.
Trailer (Braked) just as good too, provided you don't exceed your cars maximun GVW :)

Towing is a very grey area indeed !!??

Things I do know ..... Tow rope = Tax, insurance & mot required .... Towing pole = Tax, insurance & mot required.

Towing with an A frame, technically this converts the car into a trailer .... Grey area though, according to the caravan club lawyers .... The maximum weight of the car being towed on an A frame must not exceed the 750kg weight limit for an unbraked trailer :rolleyes:

I don't know if the law has changed but in addition to taking a car to & from a MOT test without Tax & Mot ( Pre-booked )
You also were allowed to take vehicle to a pre booked place of repair to have MOT work done .
In either case, you will need to prove that you are covered by the relevant insurance & the vehicle must comply with certain safety standards .... No super slick tyres with the canvas showing, working brakes & generally in a fit state to drive.

After seeking advice from my local traffic police ( Didn't want to know & told me to contact VOSA )

VOSA advised the use of an A frame, This being contrary to caravan club advice :rolleyes:

All of that said, I have towed cars 100's of mile's using my A frame, Spotted by many a traffic car & never had a pull .
At the end of the day, should I be towing with an A frame !!?? .... Probably not, in the event of a serious accident, questions would bound to be asked :eek:

CaptainCrash1971
26th April 2010, 06:57 PM
You could try sweethearting a local mechanic to see if he would drive it for you on trade plates if the car is driveable.
You never know, could be worth a try.

DStanley1809
26th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for the future. wasn't an issue in the end.

Got him down by £75, he threw in a spare gearbox, new clutch, dvd playing head unit AND delivered it to my door for free.

HPI clear, log book all in order, starts instantly (hot or cold), 2.0 DOHC non-abs with rear discs £275 :D

Bonzo
26th April 2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for the future. wasn't an issue in the end.

Got him down by £75, he threw in a spare gearbox, new clutch, dvd playing head unit AND delivered it to my door for free.

HPI clear, log book all in order, starts instantly (hot or cold), 2.0 DOHC non-abs with rear discs £275 :D

Well that is a big fat result .... Free delivery too :D

Off to a great start, enjoy your build :cool: :)

twinturbo
26th April 2010, 08:34 PM
If it's got no ABS and rear disks it will have a 25MM Master cylinder. You probably want a smaller one. 25MM cylinders are worth quite a few ££

TT

HandyAndy
26th April 2010, 08:41 PM
Thats a great help getting it delivered, with free bits too :cool:

all the best for your build :)

cheers
andy

K4KEV
26th April 2010, 08:55 PM
Jeeez!!!!! and I thought I was lucky.....reeesult bud:D

DStanley1809
26th April 2010, 11:35 PM
I feel quite pleased with myself :D

Just a shame that this is all the progress that will be made for at least a little while :(

Need to get my uni exams out of the way (three weeks left - quite scary :eek:) and get out into the world of work to earn some money and then some actual work on the project shall begin :D

DStanley1809
27th April 2010, 04:06 PM
Can anyone tell me where I might find the engine number on the actual engine?

I'm not sure if the car has had an engine change at some point and whether or not the DVLA has been notified.

At work I have the facility to enter a number plate into the computer and it tells me all kinds of information about the car. The reg for my new donor car returns the information that it has an SOHC engine instead of DOHC (there is definately a DOHC engine under the bonnet). It also gives me the engine number which matches the plate on the slam panel (LG42515). HPI check lists the same engine number and says it is a 1998cc.

Hopefully I am worrying about nothing and my computer at work is wrong, although it isn't often. I'm just worried that come IVA/registration time I could run into problems if it has had an undeclared engine change.

On a happier note, I also found a spare drive shaft in the boot of the car.

twinturbo
27th April 2010, 04:08 PM
What year is it?

I can try the chsssis number through Fords System too if you give me it via PM.

TT

DStanley1809
27th April 2010, 06:30 PM
It's a 1991 on a J plate. Sending the chassis number through PM. Thanks.

Spotted N9 on the VIN plate which Wikipedia (a highly trusted source :p) says is the the DOHC.

twinturbo
27th April 2010, 07:03 PM
as per PM Build 12/90 so must be a Twincam, no other details available though,

TT

DStanley1809
27th April 2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks again, I shall just sit back and and relax while I wait until I can afford to get on with the build :)

twinturbo
27th April 2010, 07:42 PM
Engine number shoudl be on the front of the engine below the distributor

TT