PDA

View Full Version : Relays - to have or not to have.....

davidimurray
29th April 2010, 09:23 AM
......that is the question

As I'm planning on doing my own loom I've been having a quick look around for similar wiring diagrams for inspiration to save me having to make my own. I cam across these - http://www.toyne.org.uk/docs-wiring.html- which are a great simple set. One thing I noticed though, is that there are no relays for the main beams/dip which surprised me. Is this normal?

Cheers

Dave

gus
29th April 2010, 10:37 AM
David,

I think it depends on what switch gear you are using. If using the original Sierra stalks you will need relays, as they won't handle the power drawn by the lights.

Thanks

Gus

Bonzo
29th April 2010, 10:39 AM
To be honest, Have put the wiring to the back of my mind.

Once the engine & box is back in, ( quite soon ) Going to have to turn my mind to all things electrical :eek:

I guess the load rating of your light switch gear will dictate if a relay is needed !!??

Personally, in my younger days I had no problem wiring up a row of super duper spotlights straight to the switch .... worked great, but in all probability, sooner or later the swich will most likely fail ;)

With the Roadster you'll never need the amount of relays that Ford use in their production cars.

The question I would have in the back of my mind is .... I know the lights will work ok without a relay but how difficult is it going to be, finding a replacement Sierra light switch, should it fail !! :eek:

tex
29th April 2010, 10:48 AM
no its not normal.. It would be better to use a relay for higher current circuits.. If you want i can draw up the circuit for you for the lights? I would recommend you make a small area under the scuttle for relays.. A small bar mounted off the back of the scuttle will do.. Using this to mount all relays.. Keeps it neat. If possible keep as many of the electric components off the scuttle so that you can remove it if needed.. So perhaps the relays might be better on a passenger side under panel. My busa has a panel that is hinged above the passengers legs this mounts the ecu relays etc.. Wiring then goes on the chassis ONLY and not on the scuttle at all. Wires nip up to the dash panel where needed so working under the dash is easy.. Take off the scuttle.. 4 bolts inside the scuttle sides left and right.. Take out the dash screws.. Lift off the scuttle.. Leaves the wiring clear to work on! It is an aero screen so if you have wipers etc a multi plug would be needed to the motor.. Mount the washer bottle onto the scuttle.. The rush i had before had the wires onto the scuttle undersides.. NEVER AGAIN.. access can be really hard.
So to simplfy leave off the scuttle.. Then wire the car up with the dash "floating" your knees will thank you! Lol

AshG
29th April 2010, 11:06 AM
i made my own loom. Only used relays on diped and main beam. Pm me your email address and i will send you the wiring diagrams i used

jasongray5
29th April 2010, 12:40 PM
i made my own loom. Only used relays on diped and main beam. Pm me your email address and i will send you the wiring diagrams i used

So did you use the switches in the key barrel to switch stuff like your fuel pump and coils

Cheers Mate

AshG
29th April 2010, 12:47 PM
the ignition barrel turns on my ecu which feeds my fuel pump and ignition but essentially the answer is yes.

basically take a heavy live from the battery into a master fuse. from the fuse to the fat red wire on the ignition switch. then the fat black wire on the ignition switch to the fuses for the ancillary parts e.g ignition lights etc. for constant live circuits go straight from the master fuse to the ancillary fuse box