PDA

View Full Version : Alu Sheet - Sanity Check

davidimurray
5th May 2010, 12:15 PM
I've seen it on here before somewhere but i was wondering if someone could just refresh my memory. How many sheets of Alu do I need to panel out the car - I am currently thinking of for all bodywork I need -

1 Sheet of 2mm -
Floor

2 sheets of 1.2mm -
Sides
Upper Side Infills
Rear Tub
Transmission Tunnel Sides
Transmission Tunnel Top
Passenger side footwell
Seat Back
Scuttle Bulkhead and shelf
Steering Column Cover

Fibreglass
Nose
Bonnet
Scuttle
Front Wings
Rear Wings

Does that lot seem to make sense. Am I right in thinking 2 sheets will cover all those bodywork sections?

Cheers

Dave

adrianreeve
5th May 2010, 01:46 PM
That's what I've used, and it's worked out fine. I did use leftover 2mm to do the rear bulkhead behind the seats otherwise there wouldn't have been enough 1.2mm. Hope that helps

Adrian

adrianreeve
5th May 2010, 01:48 PM
That's what I've used, and it's worked out fine. I did use leftover 2mm to do the rear bulkhead behind the seats, otherwise there wouldn't havebeen enough 1.2mm. Hope that helps

Adrian

AshG
5th May 2010, 03:17 PM
did all of mine with 3 sheets of 1.5mm 8x4 in size

davidimurray
5th May 2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks Adrian & Ash

Will get ordering - think I will go with 3 sheets of the 1.2mm to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Dave

Bonzo
5th May 2010, 07:29 PM
I had originaly bought 3 sheets of alloy, 1 X 2mm & 2 X 1.2mm .... Ended up going for another sheet of 1.2mm

Mind you, I did use the surplus 2mm for the fuel tanks I made :)

Ohhh, I also cocked up a piece of the 1.2mm doing the back panel :o :o

No excuses for that cock up !!?? .... Too much of a hurry & didn't think it through properly :rolleyes:

davidimurray
5th May 2010, 11:27 PM
Cheers Ronnie

3 sheets of 1.2mm ordered.

No need to worry about cocking up - I made my new alternator mount up tonight. Spent ages getting it all setup and tacked - only to then offer it up to the engine and find I'd welded the backplate on back to front :p Quick un-tacking with the chisel and all is now well. Just need to finish weld and take a lunch-time trip to Halfords tomo to get a fan belt.

Bonzo
6th May 2010, 10:33 AM
No need to worry about cocking up - I made my new alternator mount up tonight. Spent ages getting it all setup and tacked - only to then offer it up to the engine and find I'd welded the backplate on back to front :p Quick un-tacking with the chisel and all is now well. Just need to finish weld and take a lunch-time trip to Halfords tomo to get a fan belt.

Glad I am not the only one :)

Sometimes, even I can't believe how silly some of the cock up's I make are .... At least I can blame my age :D :D

Bonzo
6th May 2010, 09:38 PM
Hey Dave

Make that 4 sheets :D :D

Numpty here took the wrong datum point from the side panel drawing :o

Cut the blanks at 408 mm instead of 438 mm !!??

I still have one of the original sheets I bought left.

If I use that, it'll mean I will have to do the seat back panel in two pieces instead of one but hey ho, I guess that'll not do any harm !!

Blooming knew that job would go pear shaped if my head was not in the right place :(