PDA

View Full Version : Halfords Trade Card

ginger nutter
9th May 2010, 09:25 PM
Now i know most people would not be eligible to get a trade card, If your self employed and can prove that your a motor mechanic or something similar, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I got one by mocking up some headed notepaper and black invoices in openoffice.

just went in to the local branch with it and told them I was just starting a mobile mechanic business, showed him the notepaper, filled in a form, 10 minutes later had the card

you don't know the exact discount until you buy, you can have it scanned and checked before you buy though.

discounts are generally very good

batteries 50% off

bulbs/wipers/oil etc between 30% and 60% off

tools 40% off

auto parts between 10% and 40% off

paints/fillers etc 10% off

the above are just a guide based on my experience, halfords do not publish the discounts.

discounts do not apply to car audio, wheels, bikes, auto dress up stuff, sat navs etc

just remember, halfords are on a drive to try to take back some of the parts business from small local motor factors, so they have been instructing their staff to offer trade cards to 'enthusiastic amateurs' as well as trade.

oh, and they give you two reciepts, one with the full price on and one with the reduced price.

Bonzo
9th May 2010, 09:33 PM
Hmmm ..... I didn't realise that they gave that much disscount on some stuff

I buy a fair anount of tools there :eek:

Methinks I best resurrect my old trading name :D :D

Top tip that man :cool:

DStanley1809
9th May 2010, 09:41 PM
"just remember, halfords are on a drive to try to take back some of the parts business from small local motor factors, so they have been instructing their staff to offer trade cards to 'enthusiastic amateurs' as well as trade."

This isn't right. We have recently had a bit of a telling off for giving out too many trade cards. Previously we would give them to any one with a work ID card for a company related to the automotive industry (office admin people etc) but now we HAVE to see some kind of documenation linking you to a mechanic or technician occupation.

Luckily (as you pointed out) this is simple with a PC and a printer :D

If your local store won't accept letter headed paper try printing off a business card with your name and any variation of the word "mechanic" on it. After all, who has business cards if they don't actually have a business? ;)

geeman
9th May 2010, 09:45 PM
I have used our trade card for about a year now and it saves£££. when i got mine, it wasnt only for the auto industry, but for any high volume parts buyers, however the manager in store at the time didnt believe me but i took a printout of the halfords site saying high volume auto part buyers are elegible for a trade card and we just took a load of motor factor and other possibly auto related reciepts in and they gave us one. Shame the site no longer says its for high volume parts buyers, otherwise everone on here could get one.

Tatey
9th May 2010, 09:45 PM
After having a quick shifty on the internet, it looks like if you are a member of the armed forces then you possibly can get one by showing your ID card at the parts desk. Looks like I'll be giving this a go tomorrow, I'll let you all know how I get on.

ginger nutter
9th May 2010, 09:48 PM
I stand corrected but i had heard that is what they been telling staff. I had no problem getting mine with just an invoice and headed paper will probably differ from store to store. I have saved loads so far.

Worth a go anyway

DStanley1809
9th May 2010, 09:51 PM
After having a quick shifty on the internet, it looks like if you are a member of the armed forces then you possibly can get one by showing your ID card at the parts desk. Looks like I'll be giving this a go tomorrow, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Army mechanics with REME and aviation engineers with CAA airside engineering pass or Aircraft Engineering Maintenance Pass. Although some of us are nice and put them through for pretty much all armed forces members :D

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_14552_productId_56 5661_langId_-1_categoryId_173019

Qualifying criteria are about 2/3 down the page. If anyone has trouble getting one and is anywhere near Coventry at any point I can sort you one out.

Tatey
9th May 2010, 09:54 PM
Well I'm actually a member of the territorial army in the REME training to become a vehicle mechanic, so we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to buying some nice shiny new tools :D.

geeman
9th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Well I'm actually a member of the territorial army in the REME training to become a vehicle mechanic, so we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to buying some nice shiny new tools :D.

Alhough the trade card is helpful it can't be used with existing offers or discounts as well, as on tools the discounted price will often be cheaper than the trad card price, but when it comes to things like oils filters, you can't go wrong for £2:D

gingea1pom
10th May 2010, 09:50 AM
Morning everyone,

I am back after having killer flu (probably more like pneumonia;) ) that would have put the RAF in hospital:D , I struggled on and got through our inspection week though.

I am a Plant Operator Mechanic (POM), in the Army, by trade, I think I will pop down to Halfords on Wednesday with my cert’s and give it a go.

Cheers Ginge

Tatey
10th May 2010, 11:34 AM
Well that was much easier than I thought. I went straight to the parts desk and said I was interested in getting a Trade card as I was in the Army as Vehicle Mechanic. I showed him my ID card and he said that was fine and went to get me one, no other questions asked, other than asking if I had some ID with my address on it.

I got him to do a price check on the Halford Professional 40-200Nm torque wrenches, they cost £59.99 to Joe Bloggs. With a trade card they are £47.99 :D . So thats a 20% saving for no effort.

gingea1pom
10th May 2010, 12:16 PM
Well I might just go down tonight then.

baz-r
10th May 2010, 04:40 PM
am i missing the point here

i used to work i the garage trade and i know of loads of people who get chummy with thair local motor factors (proper ones) witch are loads cheeper than halfords anyway and just ask for a good price on what you want.
i regulary get 35-50% off halfords prices most of the time.
also have more stock of parts
just tell them what you are doing (building a kitcar) keep going back to the same one and you offten get a bit more off ;)

gingea1pom
12th May 2010, 03:58 PM
Well I went straight in this afternoon with my Plant Operator Mechanic certificate from 2000, showed the guy something with my signature on and now I am the proud owner of a trade card.

If only I had known this 10 years ago I could have saved a fortune.

Cheers Ginge