PDA

View Full Version : Donor Parts

David_17
21st May 2010, 06:27 PM
As you may know if you've seen my other thread, i won't be getting a donor car due to space and hassle. So, i've been having a browse round for parts.

I've found someone who'll sell me this lot for £487.25 Is this a reasonable price and have i missed anything??

Prop shaft
Gearbox
Rear axle complete
Front hubs inc brakes
Steering column
Hand brake

It's the first quote i've had back so i'm keeping looking. Can't decide if it'll work out more if i buy parts from different sellers or as a job lot.

CaptainCrash1971
21st May 2010, 06:42 PM
Is that for brand new parts David? Seems quite a lot if they're from a breakers. Can normally get hold of type 9 boxes on ebay for less than 100, the propshaft will need either modifying or replacing so isn't very useful, front uprights are £100 brand new from rally design, and a brake set up wouldn't be too expensive, even brand new. I think only the rear end would prove tricky to get hold of.
If you don't require the engine, then that does seem a bit steep.
However, if you definitely can't strip a donor, that might be the only way of doing it.

David_17
21st May 2010, 06:45 PM
It's from a breakers...

Prop shaft £25.00

Gearbox £75.00

Rear axle complete £150.00

Front hubs inc brakes £50.00

Steering column £100.00

Hand brake £15.00

VAT £72.63

Total £487.25

Bonzo
21st May 2010, 07:01 PM
That is a heck of a lot of money for not a lot :eek:

Please bear in mid .... By the time you need to use some of the parts, the breakers warranty ( If any ) would have long since run out :(

Also bear in mind that some of the parts will be nearly or over 20 years old .... Some major overhaul costs could be involved ;)

I know it's not an option for you but you can't beat stripping a car that you have driven or at least heard running :cool:

Tatey
21st May 2010, 07:14 PM
I managed to get all of that including a dead 1.8 cvh engine + ancills for £150, so just keep looking and something will come up.

eSteve
22nd May 2010, 01:55 PM
David_17,

sounds a bit expensive to me. I paided £310 for my twenty year old 1.6 Pinto tax and tested Sierra donor. I know you can't buy a donor but surely the parts bought seperately mustn't get any where near that, I'd say.

I'd suggest being patient and bagging bargains as they come along.

Here's a pair of hubs for sale that has just been listed and all ready reamed! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sierra-front-uprights-hubs-kit-car-haynes-roadster-/250637306711?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5b25cb57

BTW, I'm not the seller.

Have search on eBay with the 'completed listings' box checked, that'll give a good idea of the going rate.

David_17
22nd May 2010, 02:03 PM
I'll keep looking :D

Just had another quote back. £400 delivered.

Edit: Also, found this today. £58 per week...

http://redcarletting.co.uk/propertyrent.php?id=2095

Could get a donor in there too ;) Can't decide if it's worth it tho.

Big Vern
22nd May 2010, 03:06 PM
Hi David,

Buying parts this way is always expensive but if you'd have to pay to store a donor until the build is well under way then it'd still cost...
Search this site and LCB as people changing their plans or bailing out of their builds means the parts you need often come up.

I thought the price for the gearbox and front hubs was reasonable if they're
usable as is. Likewise once you've bought the rear axle parts you need they'll come out about the same price. Column very expensive though! and I wouldn't bother with a second hand prop. Recoprop or Bailey-Morris should be able to make you a custom prop to your design for around £100.

HTH BV:)

Bonzo
22nd May 2010, 04:11 PM
I'll keep looking

Just had another quote back. £400 delivered.

Edit: Also, found this today. £58 per week...

http://redcarletting.co.uk/propertyrent.php?id=2095

Could get a donor in there too , Can't decide if it's worth it tho.

Is the rental negotiable ?

As you say, plenty of room there to strip a donor :)

Have you given any thought into the timescale of your build .... If it's not going to be more tha 6 months or so, it could be the way to go ;)

If it's large enough .... Find another builder who is willing to share the cost with you !!

One possible thing to watch out for .... Is there going to be any business rates to pay, they are disgusting in this neck of the woods :cool: :rolleyes: