PDA

View Full Version : I have an engine doner!

Josh
21st May 2010, 09:00 PM
Finally found my engine :D , I've been looking around for a while for a decent Mondeo so I can have the Zetec out of it.

For £400 I've brought myself a 1993 2.0 auto mondeo, only 2 owners and 47K on the clock, covered only 15K in the last 10 years! I'm glad I've been able to find a pre Aug '95 car too as it means I don't have to worry about a Cat :) . The rest of the car is in very good nick, very tidy considering its age :eek:

A few questions - I'm using a MT75 'box - I believe I'll have to fit a flywheel to the Zetec as its from an auto - is this right? Is there anything else I need to worry about? One thing that did creep into my mind was whether the automatic ECU would work once the engine was running a manual 'box?????? If not I may need to source a manual ECU, or just dump the lot and go down the megasquirt route.

Will I be able to use the steering colomn out of the Mondeo on the Roadster?

Are there any other bits from the Mondeo I might want to keep for myself? The plan is then to break it up and sell as much as possible to try and recoupe some of the £400 spent on the car.

Cheers
Josh

Edit: yes I know i spelt 'donor' wrong in the title!!!!

twinturbo
21st May 2010, 09:35 PM
You wont use much from the mondeo to be honest, but with time you will make back most of that £400.

You idealy need a Manual ECU, ( DESK,DEEP DEWY ) are the versions to look for asa these a 2.0 Manual without PATS. They fetch good money though.

TT

Josh
22nd May 2010, 08:24 PM
Will look into getting a manual ECU, what are the issues regarding using an auto ECU with a manual box?? As I said I may just decide to megasquirt it...

twinturbo
22nd May 2010, 10:06 PM
It may do odd things, it probably wont give best performance. It should run though. My Sierra 24V has an Auto ECU and most people have the same without issues.

TT