PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning donor Parts

james3004
26th May 2010, 07:33 PM
What do you guys think is best for cleaning the engine and gearbox etc? gunk, jizer or anything else?

carlknight1982
26th May 2010, 07:48 PM
Gunk is pretty good, alot of it depends on how far you want to go u cant beat a full strip down and wash then rebuild.

james3004
26th May 2010, 07:57 PM
just wanna clean the gearbox so it looks good and the engine so i can paint it:)

HandyAndy
26th May 2010, 08:01 PM
I used Gunk to clean my donor parts, brushed it on , left it a while then wire brushed everything, came up a treat, dried it then painted it....looks the business :D

mind you tho, watch out for splashes, it hurts like hell in the eyes :eek: :rolleyes: ... i soon started wearing goggles after that :o

cheers
andy

Bonzo
26th May 2010, 08:05 PM
Personaly, I never use anything else but Jizer

Jizer will wash away with water nicely & will air dry very well.

Never been a big fan of Gunk .... Mind you I have not tried it for years & the formulation may have changed since then :confused:

Parafin ( Kerosene ) Used to be popular with us older folks :o

These day's, I remove the worst of the grime with a scraper, brush well with Jizer & leave for 20-30 mins, give another good brush with Jizer & then give it a good going over with the pressure washer ( A garden hose will do ).
When I am in a hurry, i'll blow dry with compessed air. ;)

If you are ultra lucky & have access to a steam cleaner, with the right detergents parts will come out super clean :)

twinturbo
26th May 2010, 08:40 PM
I used a wire cup brush in a drill to clean up my gearbox and it worked nicely. I guess adding some cleaning fluid would help no end.

TT

tkpm
26th May 2010, 08:42 PM
I used parafin to get it clean (so i had thought), when i got all my parts back from my local engineering firm, they had steam cleaned all the parts, what a deference that had made.

james3004
26th May 2010, 09:21 PM
I have a little portable steam cleaner, but it is rubbish although it does a good job it would take the rest of the year to do just the gearbox and it's not that oily, just 20 years of road dirt

twinturbo
26th May 2010, 09:32 PM
you can buy jumbo electric toooth brushes for wheel cleaning, they may be a help. I used a Braun Barbie Pink toothbrush in combo with gunk and steam cleaning on a V6 I did in 2004.

TT

james3004
26th May 2010, 09:35 PM
do you think the steam cleaner that halfords sell would be any good for the job after soaking the part in jizer/gunk?

Bonzo
26th May 2010, 09:50 PM
My ancient B&Q £29 Power devil pressure washer is still going strong & does a decent enough job ;)

Mind you, it takes forever to clean the patio & concrete paths but then, that's Junior's problem because he does that job :D

I had a nice industrial pressure washer that I bought at a farm sale, cranked up on full pressure, it would strip paint & underseal :eek:

Loaned it to a friend of a friend & never saw it again .... lost a lot of good kit like that .... Oh well, some lessons are harder to learn than others :rolleyes:

davidimurray
26th May 2010, 10:07 PM
I used some dgreaser and a paint brush to get the oily deposits off. I then got busy with a wire brush in the drill, taking about an hour per side -

Before
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3908217&l=329f86ca6a&id=601005324

After
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=3908218&id=601005324&fbid=152423365324

Enoch
27th May 2010, 08:38 AM
A wife works pretty well:D
I have an MT75 alloy box, I did that with a rotary wire brush in the drill, took ages to get in all the little nooks and crannies. The engine was cleaned with the same, some gunk and a hand held wore brush. Gunk stinks, it gets in to your skin and you smell funny for a week. Having said that it's cheaper than after shave and much more manly to boot:D

HandyAndy
27th May 2010, 08:47 AM
Having said that it's cheaper than after shave and much more manly to boot:D

:D
made me smile on this fine sunny day , :D

cheers
andy

Coozer
27th May 2010, 03:05 PM
I used Cillit Bang on my engine as a degreaser, used the wire cup in drill trick to get the rest off. Two coats of satin Hammerite and it looks real nice these days.... with the bonnet on:) :)

ACE HIGH
28th May 2010, 04:13 AM
Any water based degreaser even palmolive dishwash,the mineral degreasers are better but absorbed by the skin into the liver so be carefull with these.
then sandblast either wet or dry with a cheap sandblast kit or make your own from the popular mechanics homemade 1950 s sandblaster plans on the net.
A needle scaler
,compressed air is a tool worth having also as a lot of dirt has to be scraped off by hand but a sandblaster is quick and real pro leaving an as new finish.
I would do all the donor parts with a sandblaster.
I dont like the latest fad of chemical /electrolitic degreasing for a number of reasons.David:)

Bonzo
28th May 2010, 08:55 AM
I used Cillit Bang on my engine as a degreaser, used the wire cup in drill trick to get the rest off. Two coats of satin Hammerite and it looks real nice these days.... with the bonnet on:) :)

I can vouch for that Steve .... Looking very smart in your engine bay :cool:

Honestly .... Fancy nicking the wife's Cillit Bang .... I can see that I have a lot to learn about Lo-costing .... Would never have thought of that :D