PDA

View Full Version : Blag of the day???

Headshot
29th May 2010, 08:06 PM
Just borrowed a sealey 150 welder, and when I picked it up the guy said come and look at my car, he had a Ginetta with a boot full of spares. He is selling the car, but gave me some spares.

AP brake bias valve
full set of spax shox and springs :eek:
Sierra steering column
sierra LSD :eek: :eek:

all the above was FOC

I need to go and sit in a dark room to calm down a bit :D :

Enoch
29th May 2010, 08:09 PM
Eeeeeh You jammy beggar:D
Nice result that. Never seems to happen to me.
Best and all that,
Enoch

HandyAndy
29th May 2010, 08:24 PM
:eek: Blimey.......

Thats a heck of haul of parts :cool:

I think you are now beating me for finding bargains :D

You,ll soon get the car built if you carry on like that ;)

Nice one, nice of the guy to give you the parts too.

cheers
andy

Headshot
29th May 2010, 08:36 PM
I thought he was yanking my chain until he started putting them in my van!! :eek:

Just need to get some gas and its all systems go..... oh and then to sort out wether to get a donor (no space) or buy parts and settle for a Q plate :confused:

Bonzo
29th May 2010, 08:42 PM
Well, i'll go to the foot of our stairs :eek: :)

I thought " What a lucky fellow " or words to that effect :D

Was pleased when I was given a donor free but you have done really well there .... Nice one :cool:

HandyAndy
29th May 2010, 08:43 PM
Just need to get some gas and its all systems go..... oh and then to sort out wether to get a donor (no space) or buy parts and settle for a Q plate :confused:

There is nothing wrong in having a "Q" plate, other than it may cost you more to source the parts individually as against buying a full donor car, I got my donor for £150 with tax & test :cool:

Have you got your steel yet?

cheers
andy

Headshot
29th May 2010, 08:49 PM
Picking up a few lengths on monday (not got enough cash to get all at once)

I have got my eye on an MOT failed sierra currently sat in a driveway, have approached owner, I can have it if a family member doesn't want it, problem is its a dohc so I will still probably change the engine :confused: for a pinto or cvh.

HandyAndy
29th May 2010, 09:00 PM
The chances are that as it is the DOHC model it,ll also have the MT75 gearbox, nothing wrong with that box apart from you lose space in the drivers footwell area due to the box being slightly larger than the Type 9 box, Forum member "Enoch" is using that engine / box, have a look at his build blog, lots of useful info & a few laughs too :)

As for the steel... get a length each week as funds allow, it doesn,t seem such a large outlay then ;)

cheers
andy

spud69
30th May 2010, 07:44 AM
Well done Headshot, you might be able to raise some cash with the Diff. Try and find out what ratio and type it is - may be after one myself.....;)

AndyH

Enoch
30th May 2010, 08:18 AM
The DOHC is a good engine, it's as smooth as a cashmere codpiece, delivers good power if you have the right one (125BHP) has plenty of torque and is extremely reliable. Downsides are that it is big. Very big. The inlet manifold is very high and needs to be modified if you want to retain the original injection system. There are very few, if any , tuning parts, you could spend a fortune getting it to 170 bhp. Having said that 125 will still be lively, it is old enough to not need a cat and the emissions will pass easily. I am going with mine for starters, as it uses the same box as the V6 I will most likely go for the 24V Cosworth later.
As far as bargains are concerned I got one myself t'other day - a nice shiney repackable exhaust off a Caterham. Got it for free so I m well chuffed. Need to mod it slightly for IVA but I am guaranteed a pass noise wise as I can stuff it to my hearts content. No rude comments, please:D
Best and all that,
Enoch
www.deepfolly.co.uk

Trophy Blue
30th May 2010, 10:11 AM
It is a much maligned engine but good if properly maintained, the cam chain must be replaced at 50k but this rarely happens, it usually lets go at 51k!

Follow the Ford service schedules and all will be well.

Davey
30th May 2010, 02:37 PM
Wow what an afternoon, I've just won a set of four coliover units on the bay for £74 and Mclaren have done a 1-2 in the Grand Prix! Gotta be good:D .

Suspension is a bit of an unknown quantity, second hand, Koni non adjustable shocks with springs of an unknown rate but it'll do to get me moving for now. They can always be replaced later.

I've had a good week, got a pair of seats last week for £138 delivered, a MT75 V6 2wd gearbox, clutch, release bearing and fork for £430 delivered and now a suspension kit for £74 to be collected tomorrow and its only an hour away from me.:D :D

D.

Enoch
30th May 2010, 08:28 PM
Nice one Davey, I got a set of shocks off ebay meself. I paid a bit more than you at 103 quid though. Still Cheap I reckon, I only need the rear pair so will probably sell on the front pair.

Was it just me or did Lewis look a bit miserable?

Bonzo
30th May 2010, 08:37 PM

I guess Lewis spat the dummy because Jenson had the brass neck to overtake him :D :D

Poor old Mark Webber was not a happy bunny was he .... At the winners press conference, he cracked me up at the gesture he made to Lewis when they were busy wispering while Jenson was doing his bit :D

Well done on your bargain hunting Davey :cool:

Enoch
30th May 2010, 08:47 PM
Hmm, me thinks team orders told Jenson to leave Lewis alone but he overtook him to show that he could, then let him have the place back. I don't think I have ever seen 3 F1 drivers so unhappy at being on the podium:)
I wouldn't mind betting that Vettel has sore bollox tonight:D
I reckon they will show Webber's boot print for at least a week:D

Davey
30th May 2010, 09:13 PM
Nice one Davey, I got a set of shocks off ebay meself. I paid a bit more than you at 103 quid though. Still Cheap I reckon, I only need the rear pair so will probably sell on the front pair.

they weren't from a guy in Worcester were they? If so they were an alternative set from the same guy I got mine from.

Yeah Lewis didn't quite have the joi de vivre (sp) of a guy who's just won a GP and he was definitely giving Jenson the "shut the f%^$ up" signals just before the podium. Webber was very diplomatic, sad to see on the BBC F1 forum that horner has come down in favour of Vettel. A story well worth watching I think.

D.