PDA

View Full Version : IVA test

traveler.77
30th May 2010, 12:14 PM
I'm still searching for a suitable sierra donor and wondered about the catalytic converter situation regarding the IVA Test. If the donor has a cat fitted, then does it follow that the roadster (built from the donor parts) has to be equally fitted with one aswell?

Thanks to all out there who can help...

Roger

Enoch
30th May 2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, that's more or less it. The emissions will be tested depending on the age of your donor. The older it is, the easier it is to pass. If your donor is pre 93 then a cat is not required. I think some 2.0 sierras had a cat even though they were pre 93 - someone that knows more than me will probably confirm or correct me soon.
All the best,
Enoch

Josh
30th May 2010, 03:27 PM
Your doner car has to be pre Aug 95 for you to not have to run a Cat on the roadster. At some point before aug 95 it was legislated that commercial cars had to run a Cat; but in building a kit car for some reason the date of the doner engine for a Cat to be required is aug 95.

I also believe that once your kit car is registered as 'no Cat required' then thats how the car stays, irrespective of any engine swaps you make further down the line.

I think thats all correct, its the reason I searched long and hard for my 1993 mondeo Zetec doner.

Josh

Big Vern
30th May 2010, 05:04 PM
For the IVA test the emissions requirement of your kit car is NOT related to the age of the donor vehicle anymore but the age of the engine you use.
The emissions test at IVA determines the emissions test your kit will be subjected to at every subsequent MOT.

Production cars were required to run a catalyst from August 1st 1992
Concession was given to some manufacturers (mainly Ford) due to cat systems failing within the vehicles first 3 years (thus failing the first MOT) problem was resolved by 1995.
In the IVA manual you will see the flow chart showing that a kit car using a pre 1995 engine will not need a catalyst.

HTH BV.:)

Bonzo
30th May 2010, 05:12 PM
Well put BV

I thought that was the case but .... Just wasn't 100% sure :o

That means I will be OK for the pre August 92 Zetec & the pre August 1992 Red top :) :)

Josh
30th May 2010, 10:17 PM
Big Vern said what I said, but infinitly more clearer!! :o