PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Lighting Cluster Wiring -Help

Spikehaus
21st June 2010, 07:11 AM
Help,

I have spent a good few afternoons stripping back the orignal sierra loom to expose the front and rear lighting circuits for ease of fixing and simplicity in the final installation. However, I feel reasonably confident with electrics but am stuggling to match the 'The Haynes Sierra XR4x4i black & white wiring diagrams" to the installation.

Part of the issue has been caused by selling the front and rear lighting clusters a little to quickly!

What I need to do is identify which lights are in the main front cluster and the colour of the wires that connect to them.

High Beam / Low Beam
Sides
Another bulb?

Indicators and fogs? in the bumper lens

In the haynes manual the cluster is just marked 1,2,3,4,5

Guess this is a question for Twin Turbo!

Thanks in anticipation!

twinturbo
21st June 2010, 09:29 AM
Will have a look at the official diagrams when I get home.

What year was the Doner?

Headlights contain -
Main & Dipped combined unit
Side
Main Beam seperte unit.

TT

Spikehaus
21st June 2010, 03:38 PM
Mmmmm,

That makes sense, an additional main beam unit. Guess that was an optional extra.

Will have a look at the official diagrams when I get home.

What year was the Doner?

Headlights contain -
Main & Dipped combined unit
Side
Main Beam seperte unit.

TT

gus
21st June 2010, 04:47 PM
If the wiring for the headlights is the same as my donor, the Haynes manual was spot on.

Left Headlight
White = Main beam +12v
Yellow = Dip beam +12v
Grey/Black = Side light +12v
Brown = Earth

Right Headlight
White = Main beam +12v
Yellow = Dip beam +12v
Brown/Green = Earth for headlight through dim/dip relay
Grey/Red = Sidelight +12v
Brown = Sidelight earth

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gus

Spikehaus
21st June 2010, 08:23 PM
Thats great gus, did you have 2 nr white wires on each headlamp?

gus
22nd June 2010, 08:44 AM
I just had the wires I listed. The wiring for the second main beam bulb was an integral part of the head lamp.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gus

twinturbo
22nd June 2010, 10:43 AM
All MK2's had extra main beams,
A lot of MK1's also had them ( especialy later ones )

Not sure how different the wiring was on the MK1 for the headlights as I don't have an early set of diagrams.

TT

Spikehaus
26th June 2010, 06:31 PM
Had a great day in the workshop wiring up all the lights with thanks to the help and infomation provided above. I had to replaced a few 10 A fuses for the side lights but apart from that it all works well.

It was a bit more of a demanding job sorting the hazzards, but with a bit of work with the multimeter I tracked it down to the 3 pin flasher relay. I bridged the contacts and the idicators lit up.

Spent the rest of the afternoon driving round local motor factors where I purchased a new 3 pin flasher relay for just under a tenner, so hope to fit that tomorrow and wire the reversing and fog lamp.

I think I have been quite lucky with my £150 doner with only having to replace two original relay from a "C Reg" car.

I hope to replace the wires that came factory fitted on the lights for colours to match the Sierra loom. This should simplify things when I strip down and rebuilt the car.