PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up a reverse motor

Johnnybizzle
17th July 2010, 04:03 PM
HI guys,

can anyone tell me how to wire up a starter motor that im using for a reverse and the lamp at the back to come on at the same time via a rocker switch on the dash

any help much appreciated

regards Jon

twinturbo
17th July 2010, 04:12 PM
Big fat +12 from the battery to the main terminal on the starter, then a wire from the small sollenoid terminal to you switch, and from the other side of the switch to an ignition live supply.

You will probably want some sort of inhibit circuit to prevent operation when the gearbox is not in neutral, and to disable the circuit if the clutch is pressed or gear selected.

TT

Johnnybizzle
17th July 2010, 04:16 PM
Cheerz TT

will the motor be earthed by being bolted to chassis or will it need a seperate wire?

twinturbo
17th July 2010, 05:55 PM
Bolting to chassis should earth it.

TT

flyerncle
18th July 2010, 11:38 AM
Put a seperate braided earth on just in case and as TT says fit a relay to the solenoid feed that isolates it from everything unless its in neutral and dont forget to include the handbrake switch.
Personally I would use a press button switch and not a rocker switch as this would allow you more control in reverse, as you know dipping the clutch wont stop it. May save embarrasment/damage at a later date.

I have worked on many "kit cars" (Lotus/TVR/etc) over the years and relying on chassis earth is somtimes not too reliable.

twinturbo
18th July 2010, 12:10 PM
as you know dipping the clutch wont stop it. May save embarrasment/damage at a later date.

It's why I sugest a switch on the clutch, it's instinctive way to control reverse.

In fact a clever soul could connect up a sensror and build a circuit to control the motor via the clutch :)

TT

Johnnybizzle
27th July 2010, 03:00 PM
I have managed to wire up the reverse motor with 12v battery to positive of the starter motor and earthed via the bolt to the chassis, the swith i have picked up the live feed from the same loop as the fuel pump (only workes when the engine is running) through the swith to the solenoid and lamp, will this just blow the fuse for the fuel pump?

if i was to put an inline 10amp fuse in the 12v from the Battery to the starter motor will there be enough to turn the motor or again will it just blow a fuse every time i push the button?

using 27amp cable nice an heafty as not to melt.

the fuel pump loop is 10 amp

Regards Jon

baz-r
27th July 2010, 03:17 PM
would have thort the solinoid would need quiet a few amps but there are meny diffrent sizes
check your resitence from starter body (earth) to small solinoid terminal if its realy low it could be shorted or the restice would give you a way to work out your amps needed

Davey
27th July 2010, 04:29 PM
For the inhibit circuit I'd wire it through a switch on the clutch so that the pedal has to be fully down to work, only one switch required that way and it wouldn't matter if it was in gear or not.

D.