PDA

View Full Version : MR2 as donor

makoto
26th July 2010, 12:17 AM
Hi folks,

Newbie to the site. I am in the process of planning my build and looking at using an MR2 twincam mid engined rear wheel drive as a donor. Has anybody done this before, if so what are the results or drawbacks on it?

Any other comments welcome

Headshot
26th July 2010, 07:20 AM
I presume the only part you will use is the engine? (unless you are planning on re-designing the chassis? )

The front and rear hubs may be adaptable I guess, But may alter the geometry too much.

I am sure someone with more experience will be along soon to confirm or reject my thoughts.

TQ_uk
26th July 2010, 12:12 PM
If not done so already suggest you sign up to locost builders forum, as there's a dedicated mid-engine section

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/26/

Sounds interesting, I say go for it!

makoto
26th July 2010, 10:29 PM
Yes I was thinking of just using the engine and ecu. Which gearbox will go with it or can i use the same gearbox?

twinturbo
27th July 2010, 03:15 PM
No you can't use the same gearbox as it's for transverse fitment.

Your going to be looking for a very expensive box as they are coverted by
AE86 Celica and early corrola owners.. Especialy in the drifting world..

TT

Eternal
27th July 2010, 07:14 PM
It's called a t50 box real hard to get hold of ad one last year and got over 300 for it!

deezee
27th July 2010, 09:24 PM
You can also use the gearbox (W55?) out of the Jap IS200 Altezza Lexus that was used on the 3SGE engine. but you'll have to convert the 3SGE sump and oil pick up for rwd use, or rip up a jap import Altezza as a donor.

twinturbo
27th July 2010, 10:49 PM
the upshot is that it's cheaper to find a more expensive more suitable donor..

TT