PDA

View Full Version : Front indicator fitting help sought

HandyAndy
26th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

Even tho I have the front indicators wired up & working, I haven,t decided the final position for them :rolleyes: :o

Any suggestions welcome of where others have fitted them to the nose, obviously I need to fit them with the IVA regs in mind ,
also what have others used to make the extension,s for them?

By the way my front indicators are small motorcycle style ( & yes they have the correct markings on them).

thanks in advance,

cheers
andy:)

David_17
26th July 2010, 06:18 PM
I was planning on using some steel tube with a nut welded inside on the end as an extension bar, so that the indicator will bolt to the tube (assuming yours have threads), then some how fix the steel tube to the front frame of the chassis in a similar way.

Something like this...

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Roadster/indicator.jpg

I've got some tube if you need some (came with my chassis kit for the rear alu tub, so won't be needing much of it). If you want a bit, give me a shout. :)

HandyAndy
26th July 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for that Dave, I was thinking along the same line as you, but I,d like my indicators more to the front of the nose, as the FF2 FF3 parts of the front frame are quite far back within the nose area,

Tho your diagram has given me an idea :)

How about welding a nut in both ends of the steel tube, & a large "Penny" washer at the end that meets the nose, then use a bolt & large washer on the inside of the nose into the extension bar, only awkward thing I can see is the angle of the extension tube so that the tube is parrallel with the frontal aspect of the nose, as there isn,t a "flat" on the side of the nose, all curves & bumps etc ........hmmmmmm

Thanks for the offer of the steel tube, I,m ok as I have some too.

cheers
andy

David_17
26th July 2010, 07:16 PM
Yea, you're on the same wave length as me, just it's hard for me to picture as i haven't got the nosecone yet. :p

Could always cut the end of the tube the correct angle as the nose cone (and weld the nut to the same angle), then just use a bolt that is just long enough to go through the nuts if that makes sense. :confused:

HandyAndy
26th July 2010, 07:25 PM
then just use a bolt that is just long enough to go through the nuts if that makes sense.

yes, it makes sense

but , :o I,ve just realised my suggestion is flawed......as i,ll need to get the wires thru the tube so the nut/bolt at nose end won,t work:rolleyes:

"Thinking cap" is on.......me,s thinking "hollow thread " & nut .....hmmm:D

been a long day, maybe i,m not "thinking clearly enough"...can,t see woods for the tree,s etc :o

cheers
andy

David_17
26th July 2010, 08:02 PM
You could drill a hole in the nose cone the same diamater as the tube, then fabricate a bracket to the front of the chassis to hold the tube.

Twin
26th July 2010, 08:23 PM
I think bolting to the nose cone is asking for trouble! as the slightest Knock on the stork, even a small bird will crock the nosecone.

only my thoughts! :)

HandyAndy
26th July 2010, 08:38 PM
Dave,.....I like that idea :cool:

Twin......... Yes I see your point:eek: , but I must say that the area of the nose cone where I,m thinking of putting the indicators is very substantial indeed ;) .

I,ve seen Adrian H,s front indicator location, sadly, if I did the same it would mean I,d need to do more welding, but don,t want to spoil my nice shiney paintwork:o

cheers for your suggestions.

Andy

davidimurray
26th July 2010, 10:10 PM
Ash has some good pics of his indicator extensions in this gallery at the bottom

http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/IVA%20Stuff/?start=20

HandyAndy
27th July 2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks David :)

Thats what I,m after........Ash......thanks for the pics :cool:

cheers
andy

gus
27th July 2010, 11:14 AM
Andy,

I did a similar thing to one of your ideas, except I made my extensions out of black electrical conduit. I epoxied a nut into each end so I could then screw the indicator to the extension.

I did however have to drill a hole through a bolt to get the wires from the indicator into the nose cone. Doesn't look to bad, as is cheap & chearful to keep mr iva happy.

Cheers

Gus

Enoch
27th July 2010, 11:54 AM
Kit parts direct do a pair of e marked indicators for 14 quid. They are 17cm long so extend well past the IVA limit when bolted through holes in the nose cone. As the Saturn nose cone does not have any flat surface to bolt them to I made little wedges that sandwich between the indicator stem and the nose cone so the indicators were level, a drop of black polyurethane neatened the edges up.
It seemed easier to me than having to make extensions, although I will say they are a bit on the large side and give a more "traditional" look. I quite like that look as I am an old git, you young whippersnappers may think differently:D
Best and all that,
Enoch

AshG
27th July 2010, 12:39 PM
Andy you can have my extensions if you want them.

HandyAndy
27th July 2010, 04:36 PM

Gus / Enoch.....cheers for the tips, was thinking of getting the indicators you mention Enoch, until I read the next post, smiles.

WOW :cool:

Thats very kind of you Ash:) Thankyou...erm yes please :D

question tho........don,t you need them? :confused:

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
27th July 2010, 04:58 PM
Extensions on the indicators are only needed for IVA, take them off afterwards as they look daft.:D

HandyAndy
27th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Extensions on the indicators are only needed for IVA, take them off afterwards as they look daft.:D

ssshhhhh :D that was the plan ;)

the extensions maybe available in the future :D

cheers
andy

AshG
27th July 2010, 09:49 PM
andy txt me your address will get the other half to post them from work.

HandyAndy
27th July 2010, 09:52 PM
andy txt me your address will get the other half to post them from work.

will do, cheers Ash ,
let me cover postage at least...let me know & i,ll send it to you:)

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
29th July 2010, 03:00 PM

Hi Ash,
The extensions arrived in todays post.:)

Many thanks for them.....and they even have the correct nut to accept my indicators :D :cool:

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
30th July 2010, 09:58 PM
With a big thanks to Ash, my indicators are now fitted,
Thanks Ash mate :) :cool:

Nice & IVA friendly ;)

cheers
andy
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/002.jpg

David_17
30th July 2010, 10:10 PM
How are they mounted in the end then? Big washer on the inside?

HandyAndy
30th July 2010, 10:21 PM
How are they mounted in the end then? Big washer on the inside?

Yes, a large plastic penny washer followed by another large steel penny washer then a nyloc nut.
Felt a little nervous drilling holes in my nice nose cone :eek: :o :D

cheers
andy

CaptainCrash1971
2nd August 2010, 10:49 PM
Looking good Andy, I agree, the extensions need to 'fall off' after IVA, they do look a bit ssshhhhh........rubbish
And congratulations on getting your time/date stamp on your camera set correctly. Did you sit and work it out, or ask a passing 7 year old?? It's so annoying how technology is so 'obvious' to these kids isn't it??
Anyway, wish mine was anywhere near yours. Maybe if I ever get round to starting it!!!!!

Spikehaus
28th April 2012, 05:48 PM
So what is the minimum length that the indicator extension can be? The centre of my indicator lens are in line with the centre of the headlight. overall length of the indicators is 155 mm. Is that acceptable for the IVA?

HandyAndy
30th April 2012, 08:41 PM
So what is the minimum length that the indicator extension can be? The centre of my indicator lens are in line with the centre of the headlight. overall length of the indicators is 155 mm. Is that acceptable for the IVA?

Hi Nick,

Not sure what the Minimum length of the extension can be ( soz , not home with my car to take some measurements ) but I do know that the MAXimum distance from the widest part of the car ( usually rear wing edge ) is 400mm,

& must have a MINimum height of 350mm from the floor .

HTH :o

cheers
andy