PDA

View Full Version : Side panels - Wht do you think ?

Enoch
27th July 2010, 09:17 PM
I am about to fit my side panels in the next week or so but am in two minds as to how to do it. I have bought the fibre glass ones from Saturn - they are really nice quality but are different to the book design. Now I have seen cars with holes in the panels for the wishbones etc to poke through, I have also seen ones where the panel is finished just behind the lower wishbone rear mounting point. I am concerned that unless I do a really good job of cutting and finishing the holes it could look a bit of a mess. What have you guys done / intending to do? To do the individual holes will require removing the front suspension but I don't see that as being a big deal. I want it to look right but have never worked with fibre glass before so that's why I am a bit nervous. That and the fact that I don't fancy destroying 200 quids worth of panels!!
Thanks in advance,
Enoch

HandyAndy
27th July 2010, 09:26 PM
Ahhhh now I remember that feeling........ soooooooooo nervous of cutting my panels, I put it off for ages :o

But,
I,ve got the side panels going all the way to the front frame , with holes cut for the suspension bracket area,s.

It was a slow process as I started with small holes & gradually made them bigger to ensure nothing touched etc, even ensuring the wishbones didn,t touch the side panel when moving up & down.

The hole that I cut for the front lower suspension bracket........sort of runs into 1 big hole that also has the steering rack running thru it.

I have some pics if it,d help?

cheers
andy

big_wasa
27th July 2010, 09:39 PM
Be brave and make a template. just remember you can make the hole bigger but not smaller.

Get a sheet of card and make up the part of the side pannel. If you chop to much out you can tape it back on untill you have it how you like it.

SeriesLandy
27th July 2010, 09:58 PM
Andy some pics would be great, I haven't got that far yet as I've done nothing since you dropped my panels off.

HandyAndy
27th July 2010, 10:07 PM
Andy some pics would be great, I haven't got that far yet as I've done nothing since you dropped my panels off.

No prob, I,ll sort some pics out & post up on this thread , I,ll have a look thru all my build photos & find some that might help ( may take an hour or 2 :o )

cheers
andy

twinturbo
27th July 2010, 10:44 PM
Perhaps a saturn cutting template could be made up ;)

TT

Enoch
28th July 2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys, Andy any pictures you have would be very useful. The diagram in the book is no good as the saturn side panels have a 90 degree return rather than a slight bend. Appreciate the input, seems like everyone agrees that cutting teh individual holes is the way to go:)

spud69
28th July 2010, 08:45 AM
Perhaps a saturn cutting template could be made up ;)

TT

Thats the best plan TT, i've been aiming to get that done for a while just never got round to it. This maybe the kick up the butt required....;)

Thanks.......AndyH

Enoch
28th July 2010, 11:43 AM
TT, I will second that. I am not in a hurry as I still have all my tranny tunnel panels to make and fit. I reckon that gives you 2 weeks Andy :D :D
Best and all that,
Enoch

HandyAndy
28th July 2010, 12:14 PM
I had a look thru all my build pics but the photos I do have of the side panel fitting don,t show enough detail of the front section ( wheel in the way etc),
so i,ll take some pics today without the wheel on & should hopefully give a more helpful photo, will post up later today.

cheers
andy

twinturbo
28th July 2010, 02:07 PM
Thats the best plan TT, i've been aiming to get that done for a while just never got round to it. This maybe the kick up the butt required....;)

Thanks.......AndyH

Kick kick Kick lol :D

TT

HandyAndy
28th July 2010, 04:48 PM
As promised, here,s a couple of pics of my side panel where it meets the nose,
please excuse the gap between the bonnet & side panel( haven,t got my bonnet catches yet), I still need to put edge trim around the cut outs for the suspension holes & grommet where the brake line passes thru the side panel.
And for the very observant of you....yes I,m aware that my track rod end isn,t tightened up yet :)

Hope the pics help.
cheers
andy
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/kitcar28july2010001.jpg
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/kitcar28july2010003.jpg
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/kitcar28july2010009.jpg

Enoch
28th July 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Andy, that helps me greatly. Glad to see you set the date on your camera:D
I might get round to doing the same with mine one day:)
I'm still not sure which way to go, The holes have to be pretty big and I am still thinking they may look better left open. I will make up some cardboard pieces and see which I prefer.
Best and all that,
Enoch

HandyAndy
28th July 2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Andy, that helps me greatly. Glad to see you set the date on your camera

Best and all that,
Enoch

:o yes I did......but I have set it for yesterdays date ....Doh :o :D

no prob, hope the pics help in which way you will choose for your car:)

cheers
andy

flyerncle
28th July 2010, 08:12 PM
Can you take a pic of the nosecone location Andy,ie the location in relation to FF as mine seems to foul the suspension arms.

Thanks.

HandyAndy
28th July 2010, 08:17 PM
Can you take a pic of the nosecone location Andy,ie the location in relation to FF as mine seems to foul the suspension arms.

Thanks.

Do you mean where the nose gets close to the upper front wishbone bracket?
Mine sits very close to it but does clear it.
I,ll have a quick look in the pics I took today & see if any will help.

cheers
andy

flyerncle
28th July 2010, 08:19 PM
Cheers Andy,looking at pic 1 I have a better idea of how it fits.

Thanks.:cool:

Not being picky but you never did measure the tre's....

HandyAndy
28th July 2010, 08:26 PM
Not being picky but you never did measure the tre's....

In pic 2, the very edge of the top part of the side panel at the front where it meets the nose is where the top of the front frame is....if that helps.

Doh :o memory like a sieve :o :D

Do you still need the measurements? I can get them for you in the morning & phone you if needed.

sorry about that, ......Like Spud.....I need a kick up the jacksy now & again:eek:

cheers
andy

flyerncle
29th July 2010, 10:27 AM
If it is no hassle Andy, yes please. :D

HandyAndy
18th August 2010, 07:22 PM
I,ll use this thread as its to do with side panels.....

May I ask those of you who have fitted GRP side panels & have cut a hole for the exhaust downpipe.....how much space around the exhaust pipe have you made the hole? I,ve done mine today & have approx 15mm gap between the two, so is this enough to ensure the GRP doesn,t melt?

cheers
andy

ozzy1
23rd August 2010, 11:04 PM
I only had around 10/15mm clearance around the exhaust when i built my f27 although i did make a steel surround to tidy up the hole and never had any probs with it burning/melting the fibreglass.