PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Nose Cone

tkpm
28th July 2010, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have a picture of how there nose cone is fixed to the chassis (from the bonnet end to the front) if that makes sense, as mine seems to not much of a lip to put fixings through.

Terry

mark
29th July 2010, 10:08 AM
Its only a small lip that sits on the chassis inside the nose but there is still room for a couple of m6 bolts on each side rivnutted into the chassis, i cut some big washers almost in half and used these to spread the load a little, i also put another 3 underneath the bottom at the front, again with big washers on them.

DaddyA
29th July 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi Terry,

I had the same problem. Not enough on mine for a bolt one side so had to adapt and overcome as they say.

I'll email you some photos.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/tashlotty/DSCN3877.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/tashlotty/DSCN3878.jpg

Couldn't email, too big so here is some links - hopefully of some help.

tkpm
29th July 2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks Daz,

Those pictures are just what i needed :D

Terry

AshG
30th July 2010, 09:01 AM
I used m5's on mine with speaker washes top and bottom

spud69
30th July 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm afraid the mold for the nose cone doesn't allow for much a flange to be formed for fixing of the nose cone. Going to have a go at modifying the mold soon to allow for better fixing.

It does fix on okay at the moment, if not a little awkward.

Regards.....AndyH

fabbyglass
30th July 2010, 03:33 PM
Fix it at the bottom then use a dzeus fastner where it meets the bonnet so it holds both the nose cone and the bonnet......simples!;)

Andy, adding a bit to the flange is easy done if you feel the need..clamp some wood to the flange while it's off the nose with enough to give a bigger flange then simply gel and 'glass it ....resulting in a wider flange;)

Any news on the single seater beastie? I made me own but the engine may be a problem oh and will fry the IVA bods brains...:D

spud69
30th July 2010, 04:24 PM
Kayak's is looking good Mark, that is the plan with the nose - some pvc trim

Single seater is done to Mark, Chris has trial fitted it and reports that all is hunky dorey...

AndyH

fabbyglass
30th July 2010, 04:56 PM
Cool when can I see a picture of the beastie?

spud69
30th July 2010, 05:05 PM
Cool when can I see a picture of the beastie?

Hopefully after Chris had got back from his hols we can tease some pics out of him....

stephanedu14
8th February 2011, 11:48 AM
Hello has all.
After a small research j' found this post.
Is this step a little be likely to bore in the tubes, especially in the periphery of the nose gear.
Why not to put a small square l' has; interior and to make a grip with a strip d' alluminium in order to tighten the nose

jasongray5
8th February 2011, 02:28 PM
I extended the inside lip of my nosecone with some fiberglass, so they are now about 40mm wide. Works a treat!

fabbyglass
8th February 2011, 08:15 PM
I extended the inside lip of my nosecone with some fiberglass, so they are now about 40mm wide. Works a treat!

that was something I kept meaning to do but never seemed to have the time..:o

stephanedu14
8th February 2011, 11:28 PM
On the forum of the SEVEN of France,
they speaks about 4 Dzeus fixing, 2 in top 2 bellow, possible like assembly

spud69
10th February 2011, 12:53 PM
I have posted this one previously but the mold for the nose cone has now been modified so that it gives you a 40mm flange to sit and bolt to TR1 and TR2 with the other fixing point on the underside of FF1 - works a treat.

Andrew

SeriesLandy
10th February 2011, 08:10 PM
Would it be strong enough to glass more of a lip onto my nose cone as it only has a thin lip, i've not really used glass before but we sell a repair kit at work so would be happy to give it a go. If its possible the best tips to get it to stick well to the original glass?

fabbyglass
10th February 2011, 08:17 PM
First of all rub it down on the inside matt face with some mega gritty paper then wipe with acetone to "kill" the wax in the resin. Then sit the nosecone with the edges you want to extend onto a piece of shiney stuff like melamine...if you haven't got a gel coat I advise you use some plasticine to plug the gap so the resin can't run underneath then just glass it up.....leave it over night and fanny's yer aunt and all that:D

Oh and take the new glass layer up the inside face an inch or so to give it some strength, don't just add to the edge or it will snap off

SeriesLandy
10th February 2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks Mark, Ill give it a go at some point.