PDA

View Full Version : windscreen help ?

Ricky
30th July 2010, 09:06 PM
hi i wanted to know if anyone can PLEASE!!! help me i just wanted to know does anyone know the length and hight of a full size windscreen:( if anyone could please help me with this info it would really be appreciated :)

Ricky
31st July 2010, 09:03 PM
anyone please?:(

Ricky
31st July 2010, 09:21 PM
hi thank you for the info but if you could check if your book gives any info on the windscreen and if you could give me that info it would be nice when you can that is thanks:)

Ricky
31st July 2010, 09:26 PM
or if anyone has a drawing of a full windscreen that they could give me that would be nice:(

David_17
31st July 2010, 10:37 PM
or if anyone has a drawing of a full windscreen that they could give me that would be nice:(

I'm sure there's one in the book, but i haven't got it with me (it's at my lockup) so can't check for you.

dogwood
1st August 2010, 08:46 AM
Hi Ricky;

I don't think anyone has actually put a screen on the Roadster yet.

Erm......
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/006.jpg

I've no idea what size I made it not though , sorry.
Just made it up to suit my build...

Talonmotorsport
1st August 2010, 10:24 AM
A few things to consider when making a screen as I've thought about making screens for the roadster but glass does'nt travel well with couriers!
How tall are you while sat in your seat?
Have you allowed enough space early enough in your build around the scuttle to fit the wipper motor and demister assembly?
What angle do you need it to be at to get in with out hitting the frame every time?
It would seem that the screan is pretty much a custom part and some thing that will need making to your own design. The one thing I would say is if you intend to put side screens on,either fit a fine nylon mesh or polycarbonate screen behind you on the roll bar.It cuts down all the vertex effect that comes in from behind and makes for a more civalised drive.

flyerncle
1st August 2010, 11:52 AM
Is there an IVA/test for builds of this nature in SA and if so what do the regs say about w/screen's.

Ricky
1st August 2010, 07:39 PM
hi everyone thanks for all the info and what you all have said it makes sense . And im not to sure what the iva/road worthy test say about it i need to find out about it and does anyone know what is that black strip between the scuttle and the frame of the windscreen . Once again thanks everyone for the helpfull info

Ricky
1st August 2010, 07:42 PM
this is a first for me so im not to sure as well on how you go about the regs for a iva/road worthy test so i need to go to them and get more info on it

Ricky
6th August 2010, 08:30 PM
hi i would please like to know if full windscreen has any angles on the two sides LEFT and RIGHT and if so would anyone know :o

RAYLEE29
6th August 2010, 09:36 PM
theyre normally just a flat pane of laminated glass.
Ray:)

Ricky
6th August 2010, 09:52 PM
i did not explain it right when you look at the template in the book you notice the bottom is longer then the top now i would like to know that angle it has from bottom to top

snapper
8th August 2010, 12:41 PM
Screens for any 7 tend to be simple afairs just bent U section and supports that you bend to fit.
For IVA the sharp corners need to be rounded which can be done with a file and some wet and dry.
People like GBS/Robin Hood do the frames and glass, all you would need to know is how wide the scuttle is.
My screen is straight no angles an important consideration is the distance from screen edge back to the wheel arch, this becomes critical when you fit side screens.

Ricky
8th August 2010, 10:06 PM
hi thanks for the info i understand that the length depends on your scuttle but the top is not the same length so that gives it an angle its not exactly 90degrees or am i wrong but if it has an angle i would just like to know what it is does not need to be an exact one but one that i can work with and i just wanted to know what is that black strip that is between the scuttle and the frame of the windscreen would anybody know please if someone could tell what it is and whats it for that would be nice thanks alot everyone for the help with all the info its greatly appreciated :-)

snapper
9th August 2010, 09:53 AM
GBS and Lolocost do a screen bottom rail that has a gully that let's you slide in a 2 inch rubber strip. This rubber strip has a small T piece cross section.
As for the angle you perceive it is up to you, most are straight up but perhaps a few degrees in may be more astheticly pleasing for you.
I strongly suggest you make a mockup

Ricky
9th August 2010, 05:53 PM
do you maybe have a picture of that rubber strip

snapper
10th August 2010, 08:11 AM
http://http://www.kitpartsdirect.com/page8.htm (http://www.kitpartsdirect.com/page8.htm)

T piece edge trim £10

You need to get to some Kit Car Shows with money in your pocket and a tape measure to copy what others have done, that's what I did

snapper
10th August 2010, 08:28 AM
Oops just read your profile, you are a long way away.
The original "Build a Sports Car for under £250" by Ron Champion has a diagram of how to make the screen, personally I would ask Kits Parts Direct for the measurements of theirs.
The bottom rail runs along the scuttle and folds down the sides by a little.
I can read the problem you are trying to solve but describing it is difficult, I would do a mockup out of wood and cardboard, you will then solve the issues, next get the glass cut from a flat Landrover laminated screen, then make the screen surround fit that. Drill and tap any holes for fixing the screen or wet weather gear first.
I also put small support angle on each screen support for the screen to rest on, I did not like the idea of just 3 small bolts either side holding the screen on at over 100 mph.
To fit the screen I put bicycle inner tube round the glass edge and with some washing up liquid for lubrication I pushed it in, when the screen surround was bolted together and fixed to the car I ran a scalpel round to tidy up

Ricky
10th August 2010, 10:19 AM
:o thanks for the info but im still so confused with this windscreen its driving me bit crazy lol but if someone could please maybe post some pictures of all the parts for used for the windscreen maybe i can get a better understanding of the parts and where they go cause right now im confused

snapper
11th August 2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.lotusregister.co.za/classifiedpics/Craig_Lotus%20small.jpg

http://norecasportscar.com/images/star-ace-7/m1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__NQ7jA5IO4k/RtHxzxZf5kI/AAAAAAAAAJU/fgI61fk7iPE/s400/Photo-0083.jpg
http://www.lotusregister.co.za/classifiedpics/DerekChad_lotus.jpg
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/pictures/real-lotus.jpg

http://www.cobraowners.co.za/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/super7cars-lotus7.jpg

axle
11th August 2010, 08:07 AM
Hi
That looks cool, I have got my railings for the above from GBS, but how do I bend it without causing any distortation or shrink marks to the right angles.

Ricky
11th August 2010, 07:36 PM
hi from what i understand is you must use the template of you windscreen tha you have made of ply wood or mdf or chip board and use that tool that they show you how to make in the book to bend it but you must heat it up with a blow torch then use that tool and bend it on your template but must do it in one movement so that it comes out smooth with no kinks or anything i hope this info helps you :) . i also just wanted to know what size is the rail that you use for the windscreen frame ?:o the other thing i wanted to know is there is this black strip between the windscreen frame and the scuttle i would like to know what yhat is and what is it called and what it is for i have uploaded a picture with a green arrow pointing at what im talking abuot can someone please help me with this info thanks:o

axle
12th August 2010, 07:30 AM
I am really in the same boat as yourself, I was really hoping Snapper would have replied to all these questions, let us hope he will!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meanwhile I tell what I can; you can buy the railing from GBS as Snapper said previously the bottom rubber in the picture is not like the ones the supply.

I apprreciatte your help according with the book, but after talking to a few other enthausisat it does not make sense. heating the alloy and putting it over the wooden template and try and bending it using the tool ,by the time trying to do all this the heat out of the alloy will be lost ,also the heat can burn the plywood pattern in no time!

Hope someone else can clear these for all of us!!!!!!!!

snapper
12th August 2010, 08:41 AM
The Ally rail can be bent cold, try first with scrap Ally to get a feel for how it bends.
I can't give any more help from here as I only have my iPhone and memory to work with. I will not have access to photos, diagrams or DVD's for a week or so.
If you cut a template out of cardboard which fits both the top curves and the bottom rail profile across the scuttle, then transfer that to a plywood buck.
Perhaps a pipe bender would help you with the bottom profile

axle
12th August 2010, 08:55 AM
Cheers , The thought of using pipe bender had occured to me. I shall try that, but was this your method?

Ricky
12th August 2010, 12:43 PM
hi im having a bit of a issue understanding everything about this windscreen cause im all the way in south africa and our stores are not the same so thats why im trying to understand everything and get names for everything so that i can go looking for this stuff and here and is gbs the name of the store or is it the rubber strips and that picture i posted is pointing at some black strip the goes right across between the frame and scuttle .thanks sorry for all the questions im just really confused here :)

axle
12th August 2010, 01:23 PM
Hi
Yes it does sound confusing, GBS are the manufacturer of Robin hood cars. They do the alloy frame for this type of screen and the similar rubber you are looking for try them on www.kitpartsdirect.com .

I hope this has been of some help otherwise get back to me again!

Ricky
12th August 2010, 06:53 PM
hi axle i just went on that web site and i saw that T shaped rubber strip so im guessing that goes between the scuttle and the windscreen frame now tell me which side must the T part face must it face in towards the steering wheel or the bonnet :o

axle
13th August 2010, 07:24 AM
Hi
Glad to know you got some result! The answer to your last question I suppose you want the rubber to the inside as the curve of the alloy makes more contact between the body and the frame and therefore it makes a better seal. I know the previous pic you send me was to the outside.

Anyway this is the way I would do it, others might have have a different idea I would be delighted to know!

snapper
13th August 2010, 08:43 AM
http://www.colinusher.info/Robin%20Hood/windscreen.html

The screen surround is a simple U section ally box, the latest GBS/Kits parts direct screen surround is more rounded and the bottom scuttle piece has a recess for the T piece rubber to slide into.
If you only have standard U section then glue it using Sikaflex Polyurethane adhesive.

axle
13th August 2010, 10:51 AM
Many thanks for all efforts Snapper

Not many roadsters are fitted with the windscreens and everyone ends to get the car through IVA first and then fit the screen. However as the book mentions you should make provision for the sceen in the early stages otherwise it does mean a lot of working getting undone & redone!!!!!

So apart from the sharp edges of the frame, what is really that horrifying about IVA that can be overcome with the windscreen on the car?

RAYLEE29
13th August 2010, 11:46 AM
I Guess its the cost and the need for wipers and washers too.
a mini wiper motor and wheel boxes might work or you can buy a kit but not cheap washers would be easy
Ray:)

Ricky
13th August 2010, 03:50 PM
thats a good idea to do the windscreen after but what i can do is build the wind screen fit it make everything work without making anything permanent like using glue on any of the rubbers then once everything works and fits nice i just remove it for a iva or as we call it here in south africa a road worthy test and im not to worried about the wiper motor and all its parts cause here in south africa there is lots and lots of salvage yards or as we call it here scrap yards that have plenty of scrap cars that are stripped for spares and there are plenty of small cars around that i could choose from maybe even a mk 1 golf or as we know it to a citi golf so im not worried about that only thing i get confused about is the name that you guys give parts and stuff that side that we name it different here

kitcarkid
19th April 2011, 05:11 PM
Erm......
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/006.jpg

I've no idea what size I made it not though , sorry.
Just made it up to suit my build...

very nice roadster mate do you have any more pics, and do you use a hood and sidescreens? :)

Ricky
15th May 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi does anyone have a picture of that aluminum that the T piece rubber goes in just a pic of the ally ? Please

axle
16th May 2011, 09:19 AM
see section 24 on this part of the thread!

Ricky
16th May 2011, 09:29 AM
Yes I posted that picture I just wanted a pic of the actual ally piece with the recess so that I can see exactly what it looks like so I can look around for that

axle
16th May 2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry for any misunderstanding! These details do not show well at on the camera, the bottom rail will have narrow channel with the bottom bending inward to accept T -Piece rubber.

Hope this is of some help

Ricky
16th May 2011, 12:22 PM
Oh ok I see what you saying thanks ill go the some ally places and see if I can get that

Ricky
16th May 2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry meant to say ill go to some ally stores and see if I can get it

axle
16th May 2011, 12:36 PM
Remember this part of the screen is a double channel
The top part will take the screen is usually about 9mm wide which will take the glass + rubber.

The bottom is the T- piece.
Good luck

Ricky
16th May 2011, 12:40 PM
Yes I am aware of that do perhaps know the name for this cause I been asking for a name and not been able to get one?

ozzy1
16th May 2011, 01:31 PM
Its Extruded Aluminium Channel (commonly used for shower screens).

Ricky
16th May 2011, 01:33 PM
Is that the bottom one that has that part for the T piece rubber ?

ozzy1
16th May 2011, 01:54 PM
Both upper and lower although i suspect the lower may be classed as double channel possibly.Glass suppliers usually do this sort of stuff.

Ricky
16th May 2011, 01:58 PM
Oh ok thanks for that info ill be searching for that