PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Estate as donor

gtipping
21st August 2010, 06:29 PM
Hi all advice please, is the Sierra estate as good a donor as the hatch back ? Is there any advantage having one over the other ?

Thanks.

Bonzo
21st August 2010, 06:43 PM
The Sierra Estate will be fine for a donor :)

All of the running gear is the same as the Saloon & Hatchback.

The rear subframe is laid out a little different on the estate but the hubs, drive shafts, diff & brakes are the the same.

That said, if you really want disc brakes on the rear of your build you'll be more likely to find them on a Saloon/Hatchback.

HandyAndy
21st August 2010, 09:14 PM
Hi GT,

As Ronnie has said, a sierra estate is fine as your donor, my donor was a 1.8CVH/Type 9 gearbox estate, no probs at all for my build,

cheers
andy

gtipping
21st August 2010, 10:34 PM
Cheers guys - another question - are any of the 4 x 4 models useable - guessing some mods may be required ?

Bonzo
21st August 2010, 11:02 PM
A fair bit of the running gear on the 4x4 Sierras is useable.

The front hubs will need replacing as they are not suitable for the Roadster & there will be some engine mods to do.

I am sure TT will let you know the full range of engines available on the 4x4 Sierra.

If a Limited Slip Diff floats your boat the 4x4 is not such a bad option ;)

twinturbo
22nd August 2010, 07:04 AM
2.0 DOHC
2.0 Cosworth
2.8 MFI
2.8 EFI ( Rare )
2.9 EFI

Only mod needed on the engien is a swap to a 2WD Sump unless you fancy welding the ALI.

Gearbox will be useless as it combines the transfer box.

Rear drive train is fine.

Front hubs can have the outer CV removed, so they may be useable but the geometry on the 4x4 is a little different to the 2WD so they still may not fit.

TT

gtipping
22nd August 2010, 08:14 AM
Ok - options for the donor are increasing - another question (to increase possibility of donor at good price) -does the P100 pickup have the same running gear ?

Cheers for all the replies so far - appreciated guys.

twinturbo
22nd August 2010, 08:38 AM
It has a solid rear axle so no independant diff or hub carriers, and the front uprights would be 5 stud. So only the engine and box are likly to be of use ( if it's petrol )

TT

gtipping
24th August 2010, 10:28 AM
hey guys - there's no going back now - just picked up a 1.8 estate :)

xr4iwannabe
13th September 2010, 11:44 AM
Picking up on the sierra 4x4 thread. Has anyone ever done a 4x4 build, and what would it be like

twinturbo
13th September 2010, 12:05 PM
There's been a couple of locosts.

I had thought about it but the transfer shaft on the gearbox would encroach badly into the drivers footwell. Fine if it's LHD mind.

Front geometry is a little different on the 4x4 too.

TT