PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

DaddyA
23rd August 2010, 10:41 PM
Hi,

just wanted your thoughts, just had my first quote for the roadster (ie build insurance to on the road ONCE it's finished quote).

Age 21'ish (ok 42)
5000 miles (not likely to acheive) a year.
Est Value £6000???
Parts only £95, Fully Comp £125 - personnally I thought it sounded good. Anyone else had any recent quotes??

TSM Locost
23rd August 2010, 10:47 PM
Try www.2getherinsurance.com My 2.0lt locost was £85 fully comp, max 3k miles.

twinturbo
24th August 2010, 07:15 AM
Sounds fantastic..

TT

Deanno
24th August 2010, 12:56 PM
what is the best way to get a quote? don't i need to have a reg first before insuring it?
also once done i plan to use it has my everyday car.

SeriesLandy
24th August 2010, 01:23 PM
what is the best way to get a quote? don't i need to have a reg first before insuring it?
also once done i plan to use it has my everyday car.

Alot will insure on a chassis number untill its built.

Deanno
24th August 2010, 03:22 PM
who is the most recomended for insurance?
i'm 25
7yrs NCB
up to 8000 miles

Bonzo
24th August 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi,

just wanted your thoughts, just had my first quote for the roadster (ie build insurance to on the road ONCE it's finished quote).

Age 21'ish (ok 42)
5000 miles (not likely to acheive) a year.
Est Value £6000???
Parts only £95, Fully Comp £125 - personnally I thought it sounded good. Anyone else had any recent quotes??

That sound's like a cracking quote Daz :cool: :)

May I ask where you got your quote from ?

I am a long way off from needing insurance cover, to be honest I hadn't even given that side of the build a thought as yet.
Be nice to know a starting point when the time comes though ;) :)

gus
24th August 2010, 05:54 PM
Mine has been insured on the chassis number for a few months now. I thought once it was possible to drive it away that it should be insured, as it would not longer be covered on the house insurance.

I have mine insured with 2gether, and costs similar to daddya. Parts only, 5k limited milage, agreed value etc etc.

You need it insured before you go for iva, as you need to send a copy of the certificate off to them.

Cheers

Gus

DaddyA
24th August 2010, 07:58 PM
That sound's like a cracking quote Daz :cool: :)

May I ask where you got your quote from ?

I am a long way off from needing insurance cover, to be honest I hadn't even given that side of the build a thought as yet.
Be nice to know a starting point when the time comes though ;) :)

Hi Ronnie,

got the quote from 2gether insurance. I might be able to knock them down as I can't see myself doing 5k, don't do that in the daily.

Had 1 other quote but that was £170 for less miles!

Not far off from being driveable but thought it looked complete enough to warrant some insurance.

AshG
25th August 2010, 01:38 PM
deano you wont be able to get insurance on it that cheep if your planning to use it as an every day car to get to work as the kit car policies only cover social and domestic use.

Bonzo
25th August 2010, 02:12 PM
Thank's Daz

Now written in my build book :)

5k miles a year .... I struggle to do 1.5K miles per year in my daily driver :o :o

Pleased to hear you are making good progress :cool:

I guess it must be nearly time for me to request a VIN number from DVLA, time I got that stamped on the chassis.

DaddyA
25th August 2010, 03:03 PM
Ronnie,

got vin, stamped in, in a couple of places.

Not that far off, need to alter front wing stays (didn't buy SSC Wings - sorry). So need to fettle to clear tyre.

Upload mega jolt map, rollling road session to set carbs up and all the sharp edge tripe to do. Nearly there but not rushing!!

Oh and must run it long enough to get fan to cut in?? Not convinced it will, but we'll see.

HandyAndy
29th September 2010, 08:51 PM
:cool:

Thanks for the "heads up" from this thread, I have arranged my insurance today, as its driveable & so making it "nickable" thought best to get it insured,

Fully comp
5k miles per year
agreed value
90 days euro cover ( don,t think i,ll be using that )
Parts only

cost = £95 :eek::cool:

Its the only vehicle I,ve had where it costs more to tax it for 6 months than it costs to insure it :D

cheers
andy

mark
30th September 2010, 08:02 PM
:cool:

Thanks for the "heads up" from this thread, I have arranged my insurance today, as its driveable & so making it "nickable" thought best to get it insured,

Fully comp
5k miles per year
agreed value
90 days euro cover ( don,t think i,ll be using that )
Parts only

cost = £95 :eek::cool:

Its the only vehicle I,ve had where it costs more to tax it for 6 months than it costs to insure it :D

cheers
andy

Being old has some advantages then!!!

You got yours a little cheaper than mine, not much though, maybe enough for a takeaway!

Bonzo
30th September 2010, 08:08 PM

You got yours a little cheaper than mine, not much though, maybe enough for a takeaway!

Ohhh, mine should work out about £12.50 in that case :o :o :D

HandyAndy
30th September 2010, 08:08 PM

:eek: Cheeky "whippasnappa" :D

Tho, yes Mark, you have a point :p

cheers
andy

David_17
30th September 2010, 08:17 PM
Not looking forward to my quotes :( :o

David_17
30th September 2010, 08:24 PM
Quick question, how many no-claims did you tell them you had? As i've been told your no claims is only for 1 car. Which means 0 no claims on the kit car insurance :confused:

HandyAndy
30th September 2010, 08:36 PM
Quick question, how many no-claims did you tell them you had? As i've been told your no claims is only for 1 car. Which means 0 no claims on the kit car insurance :confused:

When I spoke to them they said that the NCB that I have on my "daily" drive vehicle wasn,t taken into consideration ( I have full NCB & clean license) ,

I suppose the home build/kit car industry in relation to insurance is totally different to "normal" vehicles, Tho it helped when I mentioned I was a member on this forum & LCB too.

So, £95 taking into account that no NCB was calculated into the quote is a very good deal indeed.

cheers
andy

ozzy1
1st October 2010, 12:50 AM
You can only use your NCB on 1 vehicle so may as well be your daily driver.The other option is to try and get a FLEET policy which will cover both cars under your NCB.Dunno if they still do that in UK though.