PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake cable

David_17
30th August 2010, 09:00 PM
The way i've been going about my build is "if it looks wrong, it probably is". So guys, what have i done wrong with my handbrake cable?

Also, i plan on cutting it just before the handbrake lever, but what's best to join it back together?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Roadster/Photo0102.jpg

Cheers

Dave

adrianreeve
30th August 2010, 10:20 PM
The adjuster goes behind the plate, so you adjust the cable from the diff area. If you cut the cable at the handbrake end, cable clamps can be used to rejoin the two halves.

Cheers

Adrian

David_17
30th August 2010, 10:24 PM
Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

The reason i had it this way is the rubber grommets were already on the cable in that position (obviously more room in the sierra) ;)

flyerncle
31st August 2010, 07:45 PM
Suggestion,and it has been made before. Set the cable up on one side brake and fit cable to other side and shorten only one side by pulling the excess out of one side.

Dont forget to remove any lip on the drums and this will make setting up the brakes easier after pressing the pedal to adjust them and then a few clicks manually they will be spot on.

locostkiwi
1st September 2010, 08:35 AM
hi guys not sure if it is me or if ive had a long day, but the above answer has me totaly confused :confused:
could someone please if possible take some pics for me in regards to how the handbrake system is set up at the rear.
cheers guys
Tony:)

David_17
1st September 2010, 07:59 PM
Basically he means instead of cutting a bit off each end, pull the slack through then just chop the one end.

I think instead of doing it that way, i'm going to pull the slack through to the handbrake lever, then cut it and join it back together with the slack removed.

Make sense?

David_17
1st September 2010, 08:06 PM
Thats the only pic i've got showing the slack coming through (where i'm going to cut and rejoin shorter).

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice i got my diff, driveshafts, drums and rear wheels on today, thanks to the guys at Saturn ;)

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Roadster/Photo0115.jpg

Enoch
1st September 2010, 08:21 PM
Looking good, David, quite some progress there.
Enoch

spud69
1st September 2010, 08:37 PM
you don't pee about David - before we know it you'll be making brmmm brmmm noises.

Keep it Up......AndyH

David_17
1st September 2010, 08:43 PM
haha. Too busy building to make brum brum noises. :p ...Honest :D

Thanks for this morning ;)

Coozer
2nd September 2010, 06:03 PM
I didn't like the Sierra setup either so switched to a Rover 200/400 handle with short Landrover cables. This was for my drum setup that only needed the holes in the shoe lever drilling out a bit.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ftW90AxLXuY/R7oElhzRMTI/AAAAAAAAAHo/liHMtgWRjjk/s800/P2180001.JPG

flyerncle
4th September 2010, 04:36 PM
Looks good Steve,which landrover cables ?.

Coozer
4th September 2010, 05:32 PM
Freelander, both off one side as the other was longer if I remember rightly. Got them off the Britpart ebay shop.

All I did was look at pictures of the ends on ebay and match them to the 200 cable I had which was about 2m long...

They were also a lot cheaper than the Rover 200 cable as well. £17 each.

The mechanism there is all out of a 200 were its all accessible from inside the car under the centre console bit.

It meant when the SVA tester asked I said 'unmodified LR cables for ease of replacement' He was very happy with that.

Steve

flyerncle
5th September 2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks Steve.
On the hunt for a Rover !!!

Bonzo
5th September 2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks Steve.
On the hunt for a Rover !!!

Me too Paul :)

Steves Rover set up looks like a good alternative to the Sierra components :cool:

Thank's for posting that picture Steve :)

flyerncle
5th September 2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Ronnie,nice to see you back.
Steve has some ace ideas and his car is well fettled.

miker
6th September 2010, 10:11 AM
Have you figured out if they're from the left or right and if its an early or late handbrake cable (as there is a heck of a price difference between early and late + i'd rather not buy the wrong cable).

Coozer
6th September 2010, 07:19 PM
Just had a rake through the receipts for ya's.. RH Freelander up to 2000.

Others may be the same but that's what I got got purely based on length. Rover 200 has the same ends but is 1.5 metres long!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-UPTO-2000-HANDBRAKE-CABLE-RH-/250558359929?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a56712979

That's only 20p more than I paid back in Feb 2008!

You get a couple of free clips. The ends for the drums are slightly different, they don't clip in like the Sierra ones. I ended up using P clips to secure the cable to the upright. Not really necessary but I did it for my peace of mind.

Plus the Rover cable is far meatier and the hole where the end of the cable passes through the shoe lever needs drilling out a bit.

Works well, easy to adjust, no modified cables for IVA and I feels a lot more solid than the Ford setup. Handle is a bit shorter than the Sierra one as well, and the mechanism is 'over the top' leaving more room for prop. How many reasons do you need??

As you can see I had to butcher my chassis and the plate for the cables is actually bolted to the diff on mine. Dead easy for you dudes to design it in without knacking powder coat and what have you.

Theres some more pics in my blog Gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Coozer1822/MNRBuildDiary?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbz_ei8r9bp3gE#

Good luck!
Steve