PDA

View Full Version : sierra wiring loom

steve8274
7th September 2010, 05:43 PM
hi all.
just looking at my loom now which came from a 1992 1.8cvh sierra.
have labelled up few wires but was just wondering what people have kept and what people have removed.
a nice list would be nice and easier as i am a complete novice when it comes to car wiring.
also does anyone have a list of relays in sierra fuse box and their position number. not in my haynes manual.
any help appreciated
thanks
steve

twinturbo
7th September 2010, 05:48 PM
I plan to build from scratch, there is too much junk in the sierra loom.

TT

David_17
7th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Me too. Much easier and neater.

steve8274
7th September 2010, 10:22 PM
i wouldnt know where to start if doing from scratch so this is simplest way for me.
just need a list of what relays are in sierra fuse box and what their position is
thanks
steve

twinturbo
8th September 2010, 07:03 AM
there was a simple loom diagram done a couple of weeks back.

I can list the relays and their function ( althought that changes sometimes ) their location may be in the main fusebox or under the dash.

If you want simple then scrapping the sierra loom and building from scratch realy is the way to go.

TT

deezee
8th September 2010, 12:37 PM
I used up the old Sierra loom as
a) It costs nothing
b) It has all the correct plugs
c) Its got loads of relays and fuses
d) All the wiring is the correct thickness

BUT....
a) It takes time to shorten all the wiring
b) Working out the feeds in the fuse box took me 3 days!

davidimurray
8th September 2010, 08:26 PM
The simplified wiring diagram can be found here - http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4763&page=3

I attacked my sierra wiring loom the other night to make my custom loom as per my diagram in the link above.

In total - from the sierra loom I saved -

Reverse switch connector and wiring
Brake reservoir level connector and wiring
Starter Wiring
Alternator Wiring
Column Switches & Ignition key swithc wiring.
70A master Relay
Flasher relay
Changeover relay

I cut the wiring as far back as I could in the loom.

steve8274
8th September 2010, 09:14 PM
thanks
almost coming clear now. bit more studying to do but i do agree with deezee with sierra loom.
the diagram has helped a lot
the relays i want to know about are the ones in fuse box that was in engine compartment. if i knew what each one did,i could eliminate some of them straight away
thanks again
steve

twinturbo
8th September 2010, 09:28 PM
I - Ignition
II - Daytime Running Lights
III - Headlamp Wash Wipe
IV - Heated rear Window
V - Wiper Intermittent
VI - Courtesy Light Delay
VII - ABS System
VIII - Auto KickDown
IX - Intermittent Rear Wiper
X - Main Beam
XI - Engine Manaement
XII - AntiTheft/Auto Inhibit
A - Engine Run
B - Aux Daytime Running/Rear Fogs
C - Horn
D - Engine Mgmt
E - Rear Fogs
F - Dip Beam
G - Heated Seats
H - Front Fogs

TT

steve8274
8th September 2010, 09:35 PM
thank you
can see lots i can get rid of straight away.
slightly away from topic, does the sidelights have to come on straight away now when you turn ignition for IVA. or have i just seen this on someones build pics?
steve

tex
9th September 2010, 05:28 PM
if your still in the planning stage one of the very best tips is to keep all the dash wiring from being mounted on the scuttle and any other bits as much as possible. reason being you can run a bit of foam seal around the bottom of the scuttle - then bolt it down either side with 4 bolts or quick release catches - undo your dash panel bolts and off pops the scuttle allowing very easy access to the wiring and heater etc - very easy to do and will save your back and twisted limbs from crippling you when you need to work on it

HandyAndy
9th September 2010, 09:32 PM
allowing very easy access to the wiring and heater etc -

Heater ? :eek: ....I,m afraid my car it,ll be a case of "push left leg up against the tranny tunnel side to get any warmth" :D

Tho, I must say.....I,ve seen the electrics on Tex,s car & its very neat & easy to get to if needed :cool:

I admire anyone who makes their own loom or using the Donor loom....me & electrics just don,t mix, so I opted for a Premier wiring Loom :o

cheers
andy

twinturbo
9th September 2010, 09:54 PM
I have seen enough sierra wiring in the last 16 years to know that I would prefer a custom loom.

I can, pull and refit a sierra loom in about 4hrs though ( including stripping of interior trim ;)

On the roadster there is really only lighting and feeds to the engine management loom to consider.

No electric windows, roof, locking, heater fan, courtesy ligh, audio, heated screens, AWS, bulb failure, imobaliser, abs, cigar lighter, front fogs, heahlamp wipers, dash dimmers, wipers, variable speed, door open warning, fuel computer, etc...

theres a lot to strip out, or a lot of junk left in.

TT

HandyAndy
9th September 2010, 10:02 PM
slightly away from topic, does the sidelights have to come on straight away now when you turn ignition for IVA. or have i just seen this on someones build pics?
steve

No, the side lights don,t have to come on when the ignition is turned on.

Tho, one thing that is new for the IVA that has changed from the old SVA is that the rear fog light can only be illuminated when the Dip headlights or Main Beam are on, the rear fog light must not be able to be turned on if only the side lights are on.

Hope this helps.

cheers
andy

steve8274
10th September 2010, 06:26 PM
thanks guys
all very helpful.....as usual
Tex have you got any pics of your setup
thanks again
steve

David_17
10th September 2010, 06:34 PM
No electric windows, roof, locking, heater fan, courtesy ligh, audio, heated screens, AWS, bulb failure, imobaliser, abs, cigar lighter, front fogs, heahlamp wipers, dash dimmers, wipers, variable speed, door open warning, fuel computer, etc...

theres a lot to strip out, or a lot of junk left in.

TT

Glad you posted that! I'd forgot, i've bought a cigarette lighter socket which i've forgotton to add to my wiring diagram..

I don't smoke, i want it as a satnav charging socket ;)