PDA

View Full Version : Potential Doner

xr4iwannabe
10th September 2010, 11:07 AM
Hi there

New to this and seriosly considering a build.

I have a TR7 with the S&S V8 conversion (from New) complete withGbox and back end. In simple terms is this suitable as a doner car using the engine, box and back end.

From reading through the forum the majority of the conversions are based around the 4 cyl lump , however...

any advice from someone who has actually installed and is running one with a V8 would be appreciated

twinturbo
10th September 2010, 12:58 PM
the V8 should go in ok, I think there's one other builder.

But surely the TR7 could be sold for a nice sum and the money plowed into something else?

Your still going to need all the other sierra components.

Is this V8 tuned at all?

TT

dan_g8
10th September 2010, 01:20 PM
thats the set up that i am using. ive got 3.5 lt fuel injected beast with the tr7 gearbox with a sierra diff. the engine is a VERY tight fit but do-able and i have had to modify the chassis a-bit.

To be honest if i was building again i would use a smaller engine as its been a pain in the A$$ trying to get the engine in.......

mr henderson
11th September 2010, 06:28 AM
I used to be heavily involved with TR7V8s, but wouldn't use one in a Haynes roadster. Main reason, engine takes up lots of space but doesn't produce much power by modern standards, plus 2 exhaust systems needed, plus the back axle is live and therfore a retrogade step, plus the gearboxes are crap.