PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Donor Q's??

will_08
10th September 2010, 05:27 PM
Hey guys,

couple of questions regarding my donor. I have a 1.6 sierra donor that i did want to use to get an age related plate. but my friend has a 2litre with stage 3 head on it so naturally i want it. should i use it will i end with a Q plate though?

Also in my garage i have the potential death hazard that is the complete rear axle from my sierra. exactly like page 28 of the book. how much of that can i get rid of? i know i need the diff but what about the rest?

any help much appreciated Will

David_17
10th September 2010, 05:42 PM
I think you'll need the donor engine to get an age related plate, if you want one you'll have to swap after iva.

As far as axle goes, you need to keep the diff, driveshafts, rear drum back plates and drums. Dont forget to keep the bolts that connect the prop and diff together, as i've been told they're a nightmare to find a supplier.

Dave.

james3004
10th September 2010, 10:41 PM
i'm not 100% sure but i believe that you can still get an age related plate if you use a different engine, as long as all the other parts are from the donor.

As for the rear axle you need the diff, driveshafts and brakes from it the big black bent tube type thing can be disposed of

Bonzo
11th September 2010, 08:58 AM
i'm not 100% sure but i believe that you can still get an age related plate if you use a different engine, as long as all the other parts are from the donor.

That is certainly my undterstanding of the situation James :)

Age related plates are awarded on a points system .... In theory, you can still get an age related plate without using the engine, provided all of the other major components are from a single donor & you have documentation to prove it.

At some point you will need to provide proof of your engines date of manufacture.

Having said all of that, some local DVLA offices seem to work to their own set of rules :rolleyes:

will_08
16th September 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, my friend has suggested something that never crossed my mind. Cant i just tell them ive put a 2litre in the sierra that as far as they are concerned is just sorned?

Cheers Will

Coozer
16th September 2010, 10:42 PM
Send the V5 back with the new 2L engine number on it....

My Sierra donor had a 1.8 zetec in it;) ;)

flyerncle
17th September 2010, 09:33 PM
Could be wrong but it has been mentioned that DVLA will want photo evidence of engine swap even if it is on SORN when it comes to IVA.

snapper
18th September 2010, 06:44 AM
Good thing about swapping a 1.6 for 2.0L is that they both look exactly the same.
Take a couple of photos of the Sierra engine bay with the old engine, clean up new engine rocker cover, paint it a different cover, photograph that on the 1.6 in the Sierra.
Send off V5 with new engine number and new capacity, Job done.
The 1.6 is not worth much so strip off ally front covers, crank & jack shaft covers, alternator bracket and adjuster, starter, rocker cover and sump, pickup and oil pump, jack shaft, distributor, anything that will come off really