PDA

View Full Version : Stripping the donor.

gaz05
12th September 2010, 12:31 PM
What holds the back suspension subframe in the donor? Is it just the two big bolts either side front and then the 4 bolts on the bracket behind the diff? I want to move the doner at the last minute so want everything loose for when the scrapman picks it up and I can just drop the back off then.

Bonzo
12th September 2010, 02:00 PM
Yep, that's more or less all that holds it on

You'll also need to undo the top mounts of the rear shocks, then just the usual snsgging culprits, flexi pipes n handbrake cable.

The main subframe bolts can be a real pain to remove if the captive nut lets go :eek:
Go easy with them, if they start to get tight, wind em back in & try again.

One huge tip, remember to slacken the rear hub nuts while the car is still on it's wheels you'll come to regret it later on if you don't ;)

gaz05
12th September 2010, 05:55 PM
Cheers Bonzo. The big bolts are loose and ready to go. Im going to pull all the other stuff off through the week. Gearbox and prop came off today. Brought back memories, having the oil run out the back and down your sleeve.

I'm still trying to find the right size socket for the rear hubs. I'm guessing it's about 41-42mm

twinturbo
12th September 2010, 06:04 PM
41mm

Undoo the guide plate bolts for the rear beam mounts too.

TT

Bonzo
12th September 2010, 06:12 PM
I have a set of 1" drive imperial sockets but yes, I do believe that the rear hub nuts are 42mm.
Don't forget one of the sneaky devils has a left hand thread ( The one with the notch cut on the corners of the flats ) Nearside I think.

I certainly don't miss the day's of oil gushing down my arms & a face full of anti-freeze from a rad pipe :o :D :D

Bonzo
12th September 2010, 06:14 PM
41mm

Undoo the guide plate bolts for the rear beam mounts too.

TT

I stand corrected :o :o :o

gaz05
12th September 2010, 08:37 PM
Cheers lads. Anyone know if I need the gearbox sandwich plate or clutch? It's a 1.8 diesel turbo. Obviously the engine is going in the bin.

HandyAndy
12th September 2010, 08:58 PM
Anyone know if I need the gearbox sandwich plate

Hi Mate,

If you mean the thin dust cover thingy...then yes, keep hold of it :)
Also keep the gearbox mount, the big bit with rivets holding it together that also has a thick rubber insert inside the housing, you,ll be able to use it for the Roadster, once you.ve cut away the big housing part of it.

cheers
andy

twinturbo
12th September 2010, 09:41 PM
Tip.

Prop-shaft bolts.

Sharp Chisels + Hammer

- Rear Seat

Seat Floor Pan + Big Hole = Happy Bunny.

gaz05
12th September 2010, 10:09 PM
Cheers TT. I was actually surprised how easy the prop shaft bolts came off. Had to take an angle grinder to the exhaust though Because it was in my way. Shame cos it was in excellent condition. Angle grinders rock!!

Hoybi
13th September 2010, 09:12 AM
I'm about to slaughter my 4th Sierra, 65000miles Pinto 2litre automatic. The engine will be used withoout electronics. So very much old school. Fits with the owner I guess.

A question though:
"One huge tip, remember to slacken the rear hub nuts while the car is still on it's wheels you'll come to regret it later on if you don't"

But for what reason ?

The shaft can be taken out of the hub carrier without loosening the nuts.
So I don't see the point. Won't you mess up the bearings ??

Bonzo
13th September 2010, 10:34 AM
Hi Eddy

Fair point & yes the driveshaft will come away from the subframe without removing the hub nut ( Although any ABS may have something to say about that )

My point is, we are dealing with a donor car that is 20-25 year's old & potentialy 150,000 miles on the clock.

Let's say that you take the easy route and remove the shafts/hubs as a single unit ..... Great idea right up to the point you notice any of the following .... Rough/worn hub bearing, play in a CV joint or split CV boots ;)

You are then left with the task of trying to udo the rear hub nut .... You'll then be in the not very exclusive club of the many folk who have uttered the words " If only I had loosened those nuts before I removed it from the car " :eek: :D

Take it from me, slacken those hub nuts off half a turn before you strip the donor & no, you will not dammage the bearings !!??

I can think of a dozen reasons to slacken the hub nuts & none for not doing so ;)

twinturbo
13th September 2010, 11:18 AM
Drum Brake cars can be withdrawn through the arm
Disk Brake cars can not be withdrawn through the arm.

TT

gaz05
14th September 2010, 10:30 PM
I think I've bought a bit of a lemon. The box doesn't look like it's going to fit a petrol engine because it's a long shaft. So now I need an engine and box. Bugger.

twinturbo
14th September 2010, 10:35 PM
input shaft can be swapped if needed. new ones are available. And it's a good idea to replace the input bearing and the needles to the mainshaft anyway.

TT

gaz05
19th September 2010, 05:27 PM
I've just stuck the box on Ebay at a £20 starting price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220671674982&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

jonte
20th September 2010, 12:17 AM
Having enjoyed a browse of gaz 05s blog I couldn't help noticing his remark about the prices commanded by donor cars these days as vendors are aware of their values to locost types.

Just wondering, does anybody know if it might be cheaper to source the parts individually?

Regards,

Jonte

snapper
20th September 2010, 06:42 AM
Sourcing the parts individually may sound the cheaper optionbut you will not have all those clips and plugs, alternator, distributor, senders etc.
If you are dedicated enough you can get money back for doors and trim, then weigh in the shell etc. You could make a couple of hundred back.

twinturbo
20th September 2010, 10:30 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320590991995&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Only 1.6 but with a set of bike carbs/bodies shoudl do well.

TT

Headshot
21st September 2010, 02:22 PM
Having enjoyed a browse of gaz 05s blog I couldn't help noticing his remark about the prices commanded by donor cars these days as vendors are aware of their values to locost types.

Just wondering, does anybody know if it might be cheaper to source the parts individually?

Regards,

Jonte

I have 2 engines (1.8 pinto and 2.0 dohc), gearbox (MT75), diff (1.8cvh estate), shafts, cvh loom, dohc ecu, hubs, fanimolds, and a few more bits I cant remember (shocks/springs were wrong size :( ) and have spent £110.

I dont have the space to break a car, so had to go this route.

it takes a while and a bit of bartering though!

jonte
21st September 2010, 05:43 PM
Sourcing the parts individually may sound the cheaper optionbut you will not have all those clips and plugs, alternator, distributor, senders etc.
If you are dedicated enough you can get money back for doors and trim, then weigh in the shell etc. You could make a couple of hundred back.

Take your point.

Thanks snapper :)

jonte
21st September 2010, 05:47 PM
I have 2 engines (1.8 pinto and 2.0 dohc), gearbox (MT75), diff (1.8cvh estate), shafts, cvh loom, dohc ecu, hubs, fanimolds, and a few more bits I cant remember (shocks/springs were wrong size :( ) and have spent £110.

I dont have the space to break a car, so had to go this route.

it takes a while and a bit of bartering though!

When needs must, I suppose Headshot, but keeps thing interesting and I suppose you can spread the cost without the hassle of the shell and superfluous bits to dispose of.

Kind regards,

Jonte:)

twinturbo
21st September 2010, 06:29 PM
All my bits were sourced individualy.

Engine came free with a car I bought, but since bought another engine too.

Gearbox was £20 colected from someone whilst I was nearby collecting my chassis.. I also have a spare box that cost a lot more but was bought just a week before the cheap one turned up.

Drums, Diff and Shafts were free, just had to collect which cost £30

Steering column was freed up when I put an adjustable one in my Sapphire.

Calipers.. Lots of those in the garage.

Master cylinder, had that too.

Front hubs £50 but they came with the joints and some mushrooms that I sold on.

Handbrake leaver of a fellow sierra club owner.

Switchgear.. Lots of that in the garage too.

I am fortunate that I have been the owner of 13 sierras over the last 16 years. quite a few were not sold on.

TT

jonte
21st September 2010, 09:36 PM
All my bits were sourced individualy.

Engine came free with a car I bought, but since bought another engine too.

Gearbox was £20 colected from someone whilst I was nearby collecting my chassis.. I also have a spare box that cost a lot more but was bought just a week before the cheap one turned up.

Drums, Diff and Shafts were free, just had to collect which cost £30

Steering column was freed up when I put an adjustable one in my Sapphire.

Calipers.. Lots of those in the garage.

Master cylinder, had that too.

Front hubs £50 but they came with the joints and some mushrooms that I sold on.

Handbrake leaver of a fellow sierra club owner.

Switchgear.. Lots of that in the garage too.

I am fortunate that I have been the owner of 13 sierras over the last 16 years. quite a few were not sold on.

TT

:eek: You certainly are building in the spirit that the book intended then TT.
Well done. Jonte :)

gaz05
24th September 2010, 10:54 PM
Well, the gearbox went for £22!! Sold the dash for £26. Every little helps.