PDA

View Full Version : Non kit car (alternator)

markeastman
16th September 2010, 11:25 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick plea for help, my jaguar xj6 (94) alternator isn't charging. The alternator seems to be fine, the wiring also does and there are no fuse gone. its been puzzling me for some time.

What I am thinking is how hard would it be to wire it up separately? how would I go about this ?

If any one can help that would be great

Thanks Mark

P.S if any one fancy's earning a few drinks and lives in stockport area feel free to contact me

twinturbo
17th September 2010, 10:49 AM
Does the charge lamp come on with the ignition?
Does the charge lamp stay on.

What do you mean by "wire up seperatly" ?

How have you tested the alternator to confirm it's "Fine"?

Cheers

Rob

markeastman
17th September 2010, 11:09 AM
The alternator is definitely working, The battery light comes on with the ignition on then stays on once started.

The problem started when i changed the engine since then it has never charged. I have the battery positive connect, the two wire multi plug is connected, and a small black wire can also be found attached to it. I have checked my fuses and they all seem to be fine.

I was wondering if i could give it a ignition feed at the back of the alternaotr and try and start it charging.

Thanks Mark

Enoch
17th September 2010, 12:28 PM
Hmmm, usually if the light comes on and stays on it means the alternator is not kicking out any charge. Have you actually put a voltmeter on it? Does the alternator light go out if you disconnect the plug from the back of the alternator? If the light is coming on then an exciter charge is most likely getting to the alternator so it should start charging.

twinturbo
17th September 2010, 12:37 PM
The alternator is definitely working, The battery light comes on with the ignition on then stays on once started.

That sugests it's most probably not working.

alternator isn't charging. The alternator seems to be fine

And this is contradictory?

TT