PDA

View Full Version : IVA loose wires??

David_17
18th September 2010, 07:21 PM
Finished the majority of my wiring today. Looks nice and neat on the outside, but under the scuttle is a whole different story.

Just wondering what's the rules for IVA with the loose wires? I've cable tied them together the best i can, but can't clip them to anything as they go in all different directions.

What have other people done?

Cheers

Dave

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Roadster/Photo0175.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Roadster/Photo0172.jpg

twinturbo
18th September 2010, 07:58 PM
I think that will almost certainly fail the IVA.

I think there is some rule that wires should be bundled virtualy all the way to their destination.

TT

David_17
18th September 2010, 07:59 PM
They're bundled as best possible (does look worse in pic).

I might tape the the bundles with black tape, so they look a bit neater.

twinturbo
18th September 2010, 08:04 PM
Is the chock Block permenant?

Bind all the wires together with loom tape and put in split conduit.

TT

David_17
18th September 2010, 08:06 PM
No, the choc bloc can go, getting rid of that will make it a bit neater, but then the wires will be floating, so i'll need to clip them somewhere.

davidimurray
18th September 2010, 08:44 PM
Great progress there on the electrics :)

As TT says that would probably fail IVA. The IVA manual says that "all
electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing and secured at intervals of at least 300mm unless contained in a secure hollow component"

I have been told that a good guidance is to cover every wire to within an inch of where it connects to. I am working on mine at the moment and I am trying to either put every wire in split conduit or wrapped in loom tape if conduit is not practical. Both the conduit and loom taped parts of the loom will be secured with p clips.

David_17
18th September 2010, 08:47 PM
Any pics of your progress?? :)

mark
19th September 2010, 08:29 AM
You need to get rid of the connector blocks and bundle it together at intervals with tape and then cover it in flexible conduit. I used big p clips but you could use cable ties to get it secured up out the way, i made a few brackets to help achieve this.

Mine looked like that at one point but only took a few hours to get it looking neat and tidy.

Also for iva i covered the underneath of the scuttle to keep out prying eyes! he could get a peek from the edge and was happy with what he saw, they also would test for sharp edges up there so make sure you cover it.

You are making quick progress when you planning for iva? be nice to have another one around on our local roads! Handy isnt far away now either

David_17
19th September 2010, 09:30 AM
I had a think about it last night, as you say its the choc blocs causing the problem.

I'll leave them like this until its tested and everything's working, then get some bullet connectors and loom tape. :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

You are making quick progress when you planning for iva? be nice to have another one around on our local roads! Handy isnt far away now either

ASAP! :D I've got no work on for 2 weeks, which means plenty of time on the Roadster, but money's going to run out - Not going to be able to start it until i've got an exhaust manifold, fuel tank, swirl pot and pump. :(