PDA

View Full Version : Part ID required please

rapidtornado
20th September 2010, 07:50 PM
Hi
Whilst modifying my manifold I managed to snap off what lloks like a plastic valve of some kind on the EFI inlet manifold.

Can anyone identify the correct description for this part (in the pic attached) and where I could get a replacement? It looks as if it maybe just a press/retian fit in the housing

Thanks
Matt

flyerncle
20th September 2010, 08:31 PM
Could be the vacuum take off for the brake servo ,not needed if it is.

David_17
20th September 2010, 08:32 PM
That was my first impression too.

Enoch
20th September 2010, 08:39 PM
Yes, it's a blanking plug. Don't think it was for the servo, my car was fitted with a servo but it had one of those blanking plugs too. Think it may have been some sort of test port? You don't need it anyways.

rapidtornado
20th September 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks gents, so with a blank hole there at the moment and no thread to screw a blanking plug into what do you recommend as it just a 7mm hole at the moment....?!?!

les g
20th September 2010, 10:26 PM
tap it to m8
a bit of loctite or thread sealant and it shouldn,t leak air or fall out
i know the purists will be along in a minute and say you need a 6.8mm
hole for m8 but but if you have a tight 7mm hole i,d have a go at that
after all you are just blanking a hole
if you are really keen go the next size up and drill and tap m10 with a fine pitch etc
but i know what i would try first
cheers
les g

rapidtornado
20th September 2010, 11:03 PM
Cheers Les, good call I'll double check the hole dia. and tap out to the nearest thread

drury318
20th September 2010, 11:07 PM
You will probably find it is for a servo pipe, although if blanked off you may have a car with abs?, the fitting is usually a quick release coupling which you push a release collar to let the pipe come free, or the blanking plug whichever is fitted. If the collar is still in there it may grab a piece of hard plastic servo pipe from most fords which can then be blanked off.

Dennis

Enoch
21st September 2010, 08:11 AM
I just glued the plug thingy in with araldite. You could plug the hole with chemical metal, which is a lot easier than drilling and tapping.

David_17
21st September 2010, 09:49 AM
I was going to suggest chemical metal too. It's what i used for the injector holes on my throttle bodies.

I found the putty type works alot better than the stuff in a tube. :)