PDA

View Full Version : Diff Plate And cosworth diff?

jasongray5
18th February 2008, 11:48 AM
Is there a reason why the diff mounting plate is cut then welder rather than just bent into the correct angle, it seems to me bending would probobly make it abit stronger, alough i may stand corrected.
Also, Are there any issues using a cossworth diff as aposed to the standard sierra one?
Many thanks Jas Gray

bobbyh
18th February 2008, 11:54 AM
for bending insted off welding a good weld will be stronger than the metal its self so bending may not be better al so it would be harder to do

3GE Components
18th February 2008, 01:07 PM
It is possible to fold it as a one piece item, but it would not be something you could do at home, remember it's 5mm thick plate.

jasongray5
18th February 2008, 05:20 PM
Ok thats the mounting plate sorted.
But does anyone know if there are any issues with using a cosworth LSD. i know they are 7.5 inch as aposed to the standard sierra ones which are 7 inches.
Would it be possible to change the crown wheel and pinion in an lsd to give a lower ratio?
Jas Gray

snapper
22nd February 2008, 06:21 PM
You can get LSD in 7 and 7 1/2 inch but the internals are not swappable

generaly speaking the 7 inch LSD is found in the 2.8 4x4 Sierra and is 3.6 ratio
the 3.9 ratio LSD is found in the 2.0L DOHC Sierra 4x4

the Cosworth 7 1/2 inch diffs are usually 3.64

mconley3
23rd February 2008, 02:54 PM
This 7.5 diff is wider, I had to widen the mounting plate on the US drivers side. See here:
http://usera.imagecave.com/mconley3/RearAxle/diff_03.jpg

Note, I filled the gap in.
Mark

greasemonkey
26th May 2009, 09:51 PM
helllo ,i have the above problem where my 7.5 " diff dosnt fit in the ds1/2 bracket's they measure to thee book as i got them from 3ge is the above picture (mconley 3)safe to do or would turning the brackets to the opposite side's and using spacers between the diff and bracket's be a better option?
my 7" diff off a donor with push in shafts for drums fits ,but i got a diff and shafts with the lobro type including disk brakes which i would prefer to use

any help appreciated

regards

lee

RAYLEE29
27th May 2009, 01:06 PM
HI, I have fitted a 7.5" diff to my chassis
I made the rhs diff plate to the book
the lhs diff plate is different, the bottom mount is to the book but only goes half way up the mount plate .
i made a spacer for the top mount and made a triangular bracket that is welded to the top of the mount plate this is offset.
Im going to try to upload the pics below.
Ray:)
ps i have assumed that the prop flange needs to be on the centreline of the chassis and i havent fitted up the rest of the rear suspension as i havent made it yet lol

greasemonkey
27th May 2009, 02:27 PM
thanks ray

davidimurray
27th May 2009, 11:26 PM
I was surprised when looking at the book diff mount design that there are no gussets across the plates. When I get round to doing mine I plan to add a couple, which will be laser cut with tabs and corresponding slots in the main plates to make the setup self jigging for welding.

RAYLEE29
28th May 2009, 10:38 AM
Hmm, a self jigging gusset.
now that sounds very interesting lol