PDA

View Full Version : Bloody discs siezed to hubs

Andy_B
27th October 2010, 08:02 PM
was all set to electrolise my hubs overnight tonight but have had to call it a day due to nearly loosing the rag...the discs are siezed to the hubs...i think...haynes manual says there should be a securing clip around a wheel stud...nope...gave the disc a few technical "dods" but no movement ...the discs have virtually no wear so was hoping to re use them ....should i just electrolyise all of it and then dod it again ??

Bonzo
27th October 2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Andy

Those discs can be a real barsteward to remove if they are rusted onto the hubs :( Removal won't be made any easier once the assembly is removed from the car.

I don't know what you have tried so far but for what it's worth here's how I would go about it.

I would grab a couple of concrete block's & a couple of strips of timber .... I would then suspend the hub unit between the blocks ( Protective timber on top of the blocks )
You should be able to spread the blocks far enough apart & still ba able to support the rear face of the disc.

Once all rigged up with the hub suspended in the air, so to speak .... Smartly tap the hubs outer face with a copper mallet or club hammer ( Protecting the hub with a piece of hard wood )

Try not to keep striking the same spot, work your way around the the hub .... The weight of the hub dangling from the disc should help to do some of the work for you ;)

If you do not have any blocks I am sure that you should be able to cobble something together :)

Andy_B
27th October 2010, 09:31 PM
Cheers for that...wanted clarification that it IS time to get angry with them ...BRAINFART...the vice protected could act as blocks ...brass dolly...and increasing hammers from 4lb to my BFH....20lb !!

HandyAndy
27th October 2010, 09:34 PM
try soaking them in penetrating fluid over night before you get the BFH out :D
Just put some oil/fluid around where the disc meets the hub, leave overnight then attack it as Ronnie suggests ;)

cheers
andy

Bonzo
27th October 2010, 09:45 PM
I hope it goes well for you :)
Never failed to get one off yet & have only ever dammaged very, very badly worn discs.

Forgot to mention the retaining clip, it will be very obvious if one is still fitted, besides it is nothing more than a gloryfied self gripping star washer .... Most folk don't seem to bother fitting them, tis only to hold the disc steady whilst the caliper is fitted ;)

Can you guess what I have been doing toaday !!?? .... Yep, fitting a new pair of discs to the Jeep :rolleyes: :D

K4KEV
27th October 2010, 11:29 PM
heat disc....cool quickly with water repeat several times this will weaken the rusty join due to sudden expansion /contraction has worked every time for me

Spikehaus
28th October 2010, 06:48 AM
heat disc....cool quickly with water repeat several times this will weaken the rusty join due to sudden expansion /contraction has worked every time for me

I used a combination of the above methods, and that worked for me, I suspended the hub from the disc resting on bricks. Then I used a machine mart touch coupled to a calor gas bottle, it took some heat and several attempts, but it worked. Not something I fancy doing again in rush. I did not douse mine with water as my hubs where cast and I was worried about them cracking.

twinturbo
28th October 2010, 08:57 AM
Find a local garage with a 30T press.

I scrapped a hub after trying all methods and failing.

make sure, when you fit disks you put on a tiny smear of copaslip over the mating faces.

TT

Andy_B
28th October 2010, 07:43 PM
cheers for all replys... a good scoot of the cheapest penetrating oil from toolstation £1.99 (right good stuff) a good dod with 4lb lump hammer and they were off ...now do the rear hubs need a puller ? another daily question :)

twinturbo
28th October 2010, 08:08 PM
should not need a puller on the rear..

I have just had to remove two disks from some granada hubs. The monkey taht fitted them did a real bad job. The caliper slide were way over tight, the carrier bolts must have been done up with a monkey gun and the disks had no sign of any releasing agent on them.. Marvelous!

TT

Andy_B
28th October 2010, 08:15 PM
think it may have been the same monkey that worked on mine...no a sign of copper slip anywhere....anyways just checkt the electrolyte bath.....bugger me...orange water with rust swirling around it....going to be busy painting !!

twinturbo
28th October 2010, 08:32 PM
I must try electrolysis...

TT

mark
28th October 2010, 08:39 PM
I must try electrolysis...

TT

You will be highly impressed, i did my front uprights (with no bearings in) and rear drum plates and was amazed :)

Andy_B
28th October 2010, 08:54 PM
got some before pics to prove that my ramblings to my dad and uncle(doubters) that it does work ...will post them tomorrow ....will it damage the bearings ??

twinturbo
28th October 2010, 09:01 PM
Yes it will damage the bearings.

TT

mark
28th October 2010, 09:15 PM
got some before pics to prove that my ramblings to my dad and uncle(doubters) that it does work ...will post them tomorrow ....will it damage the bearings ??

Sorry dont have any pics on my computer anymore, just printed them all and put them in an album when i finished my build

Look it up on google and you will find loads of info and before/after pics

As TT quite rightly said it will damage the bearings

Ive left bearings in before to see what happens and they always feel rough afterwards

They will be submerged in water for about 24hrs so even if it didnt damage them they would have water trapped in them which aint good!

Trophy Blue
30th October 2010, 10:41 PM
Surely at disks at only £24 a pair, you are not going to try and reuse them, just beat them furiously with a club hammer until they break, fit new with new pads (has ANYONE used old pads?)

twinturbo
31st October 2010, 07:14 AM
too much hammer action could damage the bearings.

TT