PDA

View Full Version : Cut off switch...

David_17
31st October 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi guys, I've got one of these, but can't decide where to mount it.

If i mount it upside down under the scuttle in the passenger footwell, do you think it'll fail iva on sharp edges?

Also, if it's hidden, is it counted as a security device?

Cheers

Dave

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Roadster/Photo0262.jpg

HandyAndy
31st October 2010, 06:29 PM
you know where mine is....sssshhhhh ;)

mine has no sharp edges , does yours? even the key has rounded edges :confused:

I thought ( hope ) it will be counted as a security device , along with ignition/steering lock, & on mine a hidden fuel tap:)

cheers
andy

David_17
31st October 2010, 06:32 PM
I can't remember where yours is :o I remember you showing me your fuel tap tho ;)

Mine doesn't have sharp edges either, but you know what IVA are like for radiuses.

Enoch
31st October 2010, 08:03 PM
Section 13a of the latest version IVA manual says - "a manually operated battery master switch or a removable steering wheel would not be considered to be an anti theft device". I am still unsure what is acceptable but a battery switch is specifically mentioned as being unnacceptable.
Enoch

mark
31st October 2010, 09:15 PM
Your steering lock is classed as one security device and your car keys another, plenty of cars passed iva like this

I have a battery cut off behind the dash but its panelled in on the underside so wasnt visible at iva

I can snake my arm round and switch it off when needs be as i know where it is ;)

If they know its there at IVA it possibly may cause a problem using it as a security device because for it to disable the car it will be turned off but this means your hazards wont work which they obviously need to!

You could wire them seperate or put a small rated fuse across the battery switch which would let the hazards work but would blow if you tried to start the car without the main isolation key being turned on

Just read Enochs post so ignore everything i said above as you cant use it as a security device anyway!