PDA

View Full Version : the floor

misty
4th December 2010, 08:13 AM
I have the floor fitted with lots and lots of pop rivets
can i fit ie 3/4 mdf in the inside of the car or should i just fit all on the metal floor?

flyerncle
4th December 2010, 09:09 AM
If you mean you need something to bolt the seat to, use some metal strip of say 50x3mm across the floor from chassis rail to chassis rail.

And use large washers to spread the load for Mr IVA.

Dont understand the need to use wood.

twinturbo
4th December 2010, 09:15 AM
Don't put MDF anywhere near a Roadster.

TT

misty
4th December 2010, 09:51 AM
ok will do steel to steel no wood of any kind
hey many thanks

flyerncle
4th December 2010, 08:31 PM
MDF and water no go..........:eek:

georgenewman1
4th December 2010, 09:12 PM
mdf and everything no go, worst material ever

flyerncle
4th December 2010, 09:21 PM
Never was good with wood and have no intension of trying,metal is my God.:cool:

alga
5th December 2010, 10:48 PM
Curiously, in astrophysics any element other than Hidrogen and Helium is called a metal :)

flyerncle
6th December 2010, 06:11 PM
I rest my case Albert ;)

fabbyglass
6th December 2010, 08:12 PM
Why not use fibreglass honeycomb.......strong as yer like and weighs beggar all.

wood is for woody folk steel is not for car floors as it rots so use ally;)

Wynand
7th December 2010, 06:37 PM
Why not use fibreglass honeycomb.......strong as yer like and weighs beggar all.

I get nightmares looking at all the rivets used to get ally floor secured to frames. It mystifies my mind how anyone can drill that many holes and quite in close proximity to each other on one side of a light 25x25x1.6mm tube. Also inviting rust as the rivets are on the bottom of frame.

Im actually busy now making plugs for floor molds thats gonna be made from GRP with CoreMat sandwich.
Made sample laminates with 4mm Coremate and decent CSM laminates - result immensely strong and the same weight as 2.5mm ally plate.

I am building floor trays that will tightly fit INTO the chassis frame from the top with 25mm flanges that rest on the frame tube. This will be bedded with SikaFlex 292 structural bonding compound between the flanges and top of frame tube. Only a rivet here and there to keep the tray in place until SikaFlex cures.
It goes without saying that the trays are only 25mm deep not to protrude below the chassis frame.

twinturbo
7th December 2010, 07:37 PM
Ally and Rivet Has been done for many many years without problems in UK Kit cars..

Ally and Rivet + Glue has improved on this. The Glue ( Tigerseal of Sikaflex helps keep the opposing metals apart and well bonded.

TT