PDA

View Full Version : Bodywork alignment

twinturbo
12th December 2010, 08:38 PM
First thanks to Spud, he has done my bodywork which I picked up yesterday. Unfortunatly I had to leave the side for posting as the car was full of family. ( If we had thought we could have put ratchet straps between each pair of grab handles and had them overhead ( Balls )

All lookes very nice, just got to be careful with it now!!!

Thanks also to Handy for collecting a door for my Galaxy.

Anyway...

Where do you start with aligning the bodywork? Do you start with the scuttle and where does it line up to... Or do you start with the nose? does the lower lip fit on the lower rail..

Any guides? Measurements info????

Cheers

TT

HandyAndy
12th December 2010, 09:18 PM
You,re very welcome TT, no worries :)

As for the bodywork.........

Start by putting the nose on the chassis, its a snug fit so it can only really go into the correct position, assuming the chassis is correct, the bottom lip of the nose goes UNDER the bottom rail FF1 of the front frame, yes its a tight fit but it will go.

then
Place the scuttle on top of the top rails, you may need to cut a notch out of the bottom flange of the scuttle depending on the postion of SW1, the rear most edge of the scuttle is more or less level with the forward leading edge of U5 & U4, then trial fit the bonnet between the nose & the scuttle to get them all mating up nicely, when you,re happy with the position you can then fix the scuttle to the chassis ( i used rivnuts for that job).

hope that helps.

cheers
andy

twinturbo
12th December 2010, 09:34 PM
So do you push the nose back as far as it will go?

Does the back lower lip lign up with the back of the front rail?

Cheers

TT

HandyAndy
12th December 2010, 10:18 PM
So do you push the nose back as far as it will go?

Does the back lower lip lign up with the back of the front rail?

Cheers

TT

Yes,
basically the nose follows the contours of the chassis front frame, the underside of the nose "fits" into the corner junction of the top of the front frame & the down tubes FF2 & FF3 of the front frame as far as it will go.

cheers
andy

mark
13th December 2010, 11:41 AM
As already mentioned the nose is tight but it will go if your chassis is correct

My front frame is spot on and the nose did fit over but i was unhappy with the pressure the nose was under to make it fit

I was worried about it cracking around on the corners over time with vibration so i made a small ally bracket at each side of the front frame at the bottom, they sit about 10mm up from the bottom face of the lower rail

This seemed the best way to do it if you want to fit it without it being under constant tension

davidimurray
13th December 2010, 12:18 PM
I did something similar to Mark - but got some 25*10 alu angle and rivetted that to the front rail.

spud69
14th December 2010, 10:55 AM
Hello TT,

your inbox is full - busy bloke.....;)

Trying to send you a pm re your side panels:

Hi TT,

Carriers are not making any collections until next Monday at least due to their backlog and "bad weather" will let you know when we can send the panels.

Cheers...Andy

If you get stuck with any of the body then just give me a ring.

Regards....AndyH

AshG
14th December 2010, 02:01 PM
i put my side panels on first :D

fabbyglass
14th December 2010, 04:31 PM
I would say fit side panels first then nosecone then bonnet and scuttle at same time to line things up. The back panel is best done when your car is still up on stands especially if you are doing it in ali, just makes life easier with it at a decent height.

Try not to store your fibreglass panels in such a way that they will distort as they may stay that shape, it is possible to get them back into shape but it can be awkward.

Also don't fix grp down if it's under tension as it will crack during use.

Oh and don't be scared to cut it, apart from the evil dust and stink it cuts easily with a thin disc..use blunt drill bits to drill holes and always use masking tape on the gel coat face as this cuts down the risk of the gel coat chipping.

twinturbo
14th December 2010, 09:32 PM
No Probs Spud. They can wait till after christmas if need be,

Been very very busy at work, being pulled in three directions at once. Don't think I will be fitting much of the body before next year!

Rob