PDA

View Full Version : Some Help (At Last) for Side Panel Cutting

spud69
18th December 2010, 11:10 PM
At Last - i've finally got round to putting together a cutting guide for the side panels around the front wishbone / nose cone area.

The measurements are based on the side panels we've just put on a new car and are meant as a guide only and would recommend any builder to make a card template first before making cuts into the grp. Cutting these gives off a lot of dust and nasty stuff so wear a dust mask.

If any of it is not clear then please ask / phone. Some pics attached to show end result.

Cheers....AndyH

AshG
19th December 2010, 12:09 AM
well done spud that is going to help lots of people.

flyerncle
19th December 2010, 02:17 PM
Nice one Spud very informative and quality pictures,shame about the colour match or are you hiding something ?:p

spud69
19th December 2010, 06:40 PM
Cheers Paul,

The panels are a mixture of seconds where the gel has been discoloured. The whole body is to be sprayed white with some red and blue stripes added or some kind of union jack colour system. In other words "on the cheap"

The car is off to an owner of a hgv training centre based in Newcastle who currently races in the Ginetta G20 series but has decided to have a change of direction since they have decided to combine the G20 and G40 into one series. Early January the G20 will be getting stripped and all components, engine, quaiffe box and diff, loom etc which will be getting transferred to the roadster and raced in the Northern Series cup with a second car going on the road soon after with an uprated engine to race in the upto 2.0l class. He's aiming for 2 faster cars at a fraction of the build and running costs. The cars will also be stickered up Saturn....:D

He is also heavily involved with the local colleges so local kids will have a lot of involvement with the running of the cars. Not allowed to drive them due to college insurance, but i'm sure some will manage to outside of college. This should also help to promote the Haynes Roadster massively for all.

He is also quite involved with Teesside Autodrome and will be putting on a track day, test / shakedown once the car is ready - early February. So there will be spaces available at a good price if other owners would like to bring their cars along whether they be IVA'd or not - will certainly be a good shakedown session. Book them in for a pre-mot in Middlesbrough somewhere and you could even drive them over.

Exciting Times.......AndyH;)

flyerncle
19th December 2010, 09:00 PM
Sounds very interesting and one up for the Roadster,is this the first one to be a race car ? :cool:

HandyAndy
20th December 2010, 09:15 PM
Thats great info Andy, it,ll help lots of builders now & in the future who fit the GRP bodywork :cool: ........I think this thread should be made into a "Sticky" in the bodywork section as its info that will always be needed.

The Roadster Race car sounds great as its now putting the Roadster into view of other racers which can only help the long term future of the Roadster, it,ll be great to have Roadsters on the race track actually racing rather than just on track days, well done Saturn :cool:

The track day in February....mmmm I,m up for a bit of that, my car is track ready so will be a nice shakedown run prior to the IVA in March, count me in please :) .

cheers
andy

monsterob
20th December 2010, 09:44 PM
for some strange reason i think the track in feb might be a bit of a cold one !

pack bovril
bovril
more bovril

thermals/ grit/ salt combo

bovril

tyre warmers

bovril

hot chocolate

and a team of huskies to pull you out of the circuit when youre done !

did i mention the bovril ?

:D

spud69
21st December 2010, 09:07 AM
No Rob,

We're going to have a mild February, hope so i am sick of trying to glass and work in -10, just makes it more or less impossible. And the big gas heater costs a fortune and hardly warms the place up.

Need to have some fun come February.......:o

AndyH

flyerncle
21st December 2010, 09:44 PM
This time a year ago I went to Lapland and spent 6 days there,landed at Kittila inside the Arctic circle and drove for three hours north to Sarriselka not far from Murmansk on the Russian border.

-18 when we landed and down to -32 on top of the fells at night,so the point of the post is a chilly track day at Teeside will be a pleasant change allthough I was never struck on Bovril.:rolleyes:

Good Christmas one and all.

ps. Spud,did a bit of digging and that company is Teamtrain and Gateshead College and engine from HWR racing.

spud69
22nd December 2010, 10:13 AM
You're a shrewd bugger Paul, cant keep anything from you....:p

Your bits are in if you need them. We'll but shutting the doors tomorrow afternoon and will be off to the local boozer for some well deserved drinks......:D Even HandyAndy is coming - cant get out of it now...;)

Cheers...AndyH

HandyAndy
22nd December 2010, 10:35 AM
Even HandyAndy is coming - cant get out of it now...;)

Cheers...AndyH

Mines a coke please :D

Looking out of the window right now, looks like I,ll need the team of huskies to get there:eek:

cheers
andy

spud69
22nd December 2010, 10:46 AM
The sky is black here Andy, and its gonna start coming down in a big way.

Don't worry we wont put anything in your coke.....:D

mark
22nd December 2010, 07:01 PM
Im looking forward to a few cokes too ;) :D

flyerncle
22nd December 2010, 07:08 PM
Snowing like the clappers here 500ft above sea level,are you about on friday Spud ?.

Cant get there thursday.

HandyAndy
22nd December 2010, 07:26 PM
Im looking forward to a few cokes too

:o Gulp.....what have I let myself in for? :eek:

I,m not a big drinker.......3 cokes & i,m on my back :D

Tho, I do feel like celebrating after todays events.:)

cheers
andy

monsterob
22nd December 2010, 10:24 PM
Well andy you should have seen the " heads up " about the lidl padded overalls 16.99 best buy this year ( apart from my donor and chassis kit erm wishbones !! )

I was working in my garage at -10 but sweating !!! Have a calor just cant put it on a mate popped in complained about the cold heater went on and liquid poured out of me ( and it wasnt wee ! )

spud69
23rd December 2010, 09:31 AM
Well andy you should have seen the " heads up " about the lidl padded overalls 16.99 best buy this year ( apart from my donor and chassis kit erm wishbones !! )

I was working in my garage at -10 but sweating !!! Have a calor just cant put it on a mate popped in complained about the cold heater went on and liquid poured out of me ( and it wasnt wee ! )

Dont mind working in the cold Rob with my 10 layers on it's just the colder it gets the more impossible the fibre glassing is. Plus the gas heater is too expensive and doesn't heat up the place enough.

Paul, won't be in tomorrow - got my xmas shopping to do but i will put your bits in the car and if you do get down just give me a ring and i'll meet up with you somewhere or nip to the unit to meet you. There is no rush though.

AndyH

flyerncle
24th December 2010, 08:34 AM
No probs Andy,will sort something after xmass.

All the best everyone.

SeriesLandy
8th January 2011, 10:17 AM
Is there an chance of a pic (or 2) to show where the side panels and rear tub intersect?

Cheers

HandyAndy
8th January 2011, 04:34 PM
Is there an chance of a pic (or 2) to show where the side panels and rear tub intersect?

Cheers

I,m sure I have some photos, I,ll check my build pics & post up a couple on this thread, ( give me an hour or so ).

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
8th January 2011, 05:09 PM
Here,s a couple of pics showing where the GRP side panels meet the GRP rear tub.....

I,ve fitted the rear tub / side panel to meet in the middle of D9 & D10, photo shows it without side panel fitted then with side panel fitted & it shows quite a nice flush fit to eachother,
please ignore the rear wing in the 2nd pic, I was in the process of aligning the wing for final fitment.

cheers
andy

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/kitcar5thjuly2010027.jpg

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/3rdaugust2010006.jpg

There is only approx 2 inches of the join showing once the rear wing is fitted.

Hope the pics help.

fabbyglass
8th January 2011, 05:36 PM
Some kind of double edgey type stuff would hide the join, at least that's what was on my mind when the original stuff was made. Did toy with making the rear tub and sides as one section but soon dropped that mad idea as carriers would have a field day smashing it into nice small bits:(

Fitting the whole kit makes the car stand out and dare I say, quite a bit better than some more expensive kits;)

Time Mr Spud got that full body sorted methinks ;)

fabbyglass
8th January 2011, 05:39 PM
I wonder, been thinking and for me that's not a good plan:confused: Full monocoque including big chunks of body work plan being hatched....:o

SeriesLandy
8th January 2011, 06:23 PM
Many thanks andy, thats just what I was looking for.

On another note how did you attatch the tub as I can't see any fixings or was it held on with the black electrical tape?

HandyAndy
8th January 2011, 06:34 PM
Many thanks andy, thats just what I was looking for.

On another note how did you attatch the tub as I can't see any fixings or was it held on with the black electrical tape?

No worries, glad the pics help :)

& for your question of not seeing any fixings.....Thanks for that as that was my intention :cool:

My rear tub is secured to the chassis with M6 stainless bolts into rivnuts under the GRP1 spar, a couple of the same bolts/rivnuts up the D11 & SB1, tho these fixing points also secure the rear wing,
basically what I,ve done is bolted the wings to the tub & bolted the tub to the chassis, so if I need to I can remove it all from the chassis.
I also used stainless nylocs when securing the wings as its no doubt going to get covered in road muck under the arches :eek: :D

I,ve also used ( but not in photo ) "tadpole beading" between the rear arches / tub mating surfaces.

cheers
Andy

spud69
8th January 2011, 07:24 PM
Hello Steve,

HAndy has beaten me to it.....;) But yes description and pics are spot on.

Now that i've got round to doing a cutting plan for the front of the side panels i think its about time i did a comprehensive fitting guide for the body kit on the Saturn site. It's not complicated but i think a lot of people find it a bit daunting having to cut their panels to fit them and need a bit of reassurance during the fitting.

Thanks for the push Mark, will get round to it sometime just haven't got enough space or time at the minute with other things going on. Speaking of monocoque chassis had an old Robin Hood '7' monocoque car in during the week for repairs to the front end where the full front suspension arrangement had come away from the fixings onto the monocoque front end, was quite worrying the way it had come away. However, for the age of the car it was impressive in some ways. All turned out well though with the front end remade with 3mm and 5mm plate. Got some pics at work i will add on Monday.

Regards....>AndyH