PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass - one for Spud

davidimurray
22nd December 2010, 03:31 PM
As it's quiet on here - and I'm winding down at work - I'm pondering my poor mistress who I havent seen for 7 days know as I can't get down the garage at the moment :mad:

Conisdering how it is regualrly said how flammable fibreglass is - I was wondering what Saturn bodywork was made from and how flammable it is. I seem to remember seeing Spuds car at Stoneleigh having heat damaged arches due to the exhaust but there was no sign of the towering inferno people go on about.

Leading on from this, how much space should you leave around your exhaust as it goes through the bonnet?

spud69
22nd December 2010, 04:08 PM
Hello David,

The resin used is Encore 30 which is a Polystyrene based resin rather than Epoxy. The data sheets for the product talk about the material in its pre-cured state and say that the auto - ignition point is 490deg. However the resin is a lot more stable once cured, especially since the actual glass is non-combustible.

As you say the exhaust on my orange car is very close to the side panel, 5mm, and has caused negligible damage. The side repeater has suffered a lot more. A comfortable clearance i say would be 20mm, in my experience.

Hope that helps....AndyH