PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with bonnet

Enoch
20th January 2011, 06:44 PM
Hi folks, hope you are all well. I have nearly finished my build now, the only job left is the bonnet. My build uses the Twinky engine so the standard bonnet does not fit. No problem, I thought I will make an alli bonnet with a big old bulge in it. Trouble is I have no idea how to do it:mad: I have made several attempts at modifying commercial units, all I succeeded in doing was depleting my bank balance. Next couple of attempts were to make something out of a wooden former and cover it in fibreglass. More time and money wasted, the results were not good:(
Has anybody got any ideas or pointers as top how I might go about this? I am just about at my wits end. I really ballsed up on this, I made the scuttle higher than standard but the fuel regulator and cam covers are still way higher than I intended. I can't lower the engine as then I will have no ground clearance.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Enoch

deezee
20th January 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm using a 16v DOHC engine (so very similar) and a MK Indy bonnet bulge off a Kia Sedona MK1 works fine. As does the bonnet bulge destined for a DAX.

jiwillia
20th January 2011, 08:28 PM
Enoch,

SNAP! I'm in a similar situation as yourself (tall I4 twink) although I'm a couple of months away from working on the bonnet scoop/bulge. I have already bought a scoop from SMK (on ebay) however it is not quite wide enough so I intend splitting it down the middle and widen it. I have attached a photo of the scoop (if it works!)
cheers
John

monsterob
20th January 2011, 09:34 PM
hmm i am going to have this issue too i looked at the nissan pulsar gtir scoops availiable in egay.

there must be a way and a simple one ? has anyone asked a body manufacturer ? ie saturn etc see if they would be able to adapt one to suit ?

:D

Enoch
20th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Hi guys, some useful thoughts there. I will give Andy at Saturn a ring tomorrow. I know he was working on a bonnet with an extended bulge - it may be possible to just get the bulge part made. I had tried modding an existing scoop but it looked hopeless. I will have a look at a kia Sedona and see what that looks like.
Enoch

fabbyglass
21st January 2011, 11:03 AM
Andy had the plug for a bonnet with an almost full width full length bonnet bulge when he took on my Roadster moulds, if memory serves me right it's about 3" high....google Westfield V8 and you will get some idea of what I mean as I can't find the pictures I had of the plug sorry.

I'm sure he said he had made a start on it but I know he was busy with the single seater so best ask him

deezee
21st January 2011, 11:12 AM
If Saturn could make a bonnet like this one, I'd buy one. Look a lot prettier than the monstrosity I made!

http://www.cwork.nildram.co.uk/mark/cars/westfield2/7.jpg

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Images/products/medium/westefield-bonnet-v8.jpg

fabbyglass
21st January 2011, 11:37 AM
Thats the one I meant yeah.....they are a staggering £300 a pop

Enoch
21st January 2011, 08:44 PM
Well that would look lovely but at 300 knicker (just over 100 pints) I don't think I will be buying one any time soon. I will have to go with an add on bulge as my scuttle is a non standard size so a standard bonnet with bulge won't work for me. I had made it 40mm higher than standard as I thought at the the time that my bonnet would then clear ok. Guess I got that one wrong:p
I will sepake to Andy on Monday unless I have any whizz bang ideas before then.
Enoch

twinturbo
21st January 2011, 08:48 PM
Well that would look lovely but at 300 knicker (just over 100 pints) I don't think I will be buying one any time soon. I will have to go with an add on bulge as my scuttle is a non standard size so a standard bonnet with bulge won't work for me. I had made it 40mm higher than standard as I thought at the the time that my bonnet would then clear ok. Guess I got that one wrong:p
I will sepake to Andy on Monday unless I have any whizz bang ideas before then.
Enoch

bloomin eck, i buy £1.50 pints.... you must drink expensive beer.

TT

spud69
21st January 2011, 11:38 PM
If Saturn could make a bonnet like this one, I'd buy one. Look a lot prettier than the monstrosity I made!

http://www.cwork.nildram.co.uk/mark/cars/westfield2/7.jpg

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Images/products/medium/westefield-bonnet-v8.jpg

There is one similar to that one Deezee, but without the vents, being readied just haven't had time to do it yet but it will be going on the new car so will be readied soon. Just as Mark had described. Will put up some pics soon.

Andrew

Enoch
22nd January 2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Spud, will give you a ring next week.

TT, beer is expensive down here. Especially when topped with a dash of vodka and a splash of WD40:D Wish we could get a pint at £1.50, although I don't think I would get much car building done then.

Kiwi car
22nd January 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi
Same problem with my engine was thinking of having scoop facing the other way so don't have to worry about vents. The air intake will run next to the radiator
Still trying to figure out best way of doing was going to try ali if no good fiberglass any good pointers welcome