PDA

View Full Version : Which battery

Peter-C
1st February 2011, 06:56 PM
Hi,

I've 2 batteries and I can't remember which one came out of the donor ( a CVH). One is a 43 AH and the other a 50AH.

Any ideas, anyone ?

Cheers

Peter

AshG
1st February 2011, 07:57 PM
it wont matter both will be plenty. if you want to save weight then fit the smaller one, if you want to sit about with your lights on and engine off then fit the bigger one.

HandyAndy
1st February 2011, 08:03 PM
Ash... I like your no nonsense logic approach :D

Peter,
My CVH engined donor had the 43AH & I,m using it in my Roadster too, its a little big (:confused: little big DOH ) but it was in good nick so thought, pennies saved :)

cheers
andy

Peter-C
2nd February 2011, 08:46 AM
Cheers lads

spud69
2nd February 2011, 11:01 AM
Hi Peter,

If you are feeling flush then i have found this battery that is a nice compact 45A battery:

Motaquip part no. VBY47 - it is 230 x 120 x 200mm high with round terminals.

also fits the Saturn bulkhead battery tray which is rather small.

Andrew

jasongray5
2nd February 2011, 11:14 AM
Where would we get one of these please Andy?

spud69
2nd February 2011, 11:28 AM
Any decent motor factors will sell motaquip parts, the last one i got was about £45 + dreaded VAT. CarlKnight has just bought one recently from his local parts shop.

Andrew

mark
2nd February 2011, 12:43 PM
I have just got a new battery too whilst doing my upgrades

If you look on ebay for an odyssey pc680 thats what i ended up getting

They are a little pricey but are tiny and light even in comparison to the smallest normal car battery as Spud has suggested

Although small they have more than enough juice for a roadster and can be laid flat, on its side, on its end, pretty much where you like except upside down :D

Got mine for £75 delivered brand new

So if any of the local builders (which there are a fair few of us in the north east :)) want an ordinary battery (cvh size) i have a bosch one that i bought new last year when i finished my build, its still got 4 years warranty on it

Couple of beer tokens would secure a new home for it, obviously would need picking up though

AshG
2nd February 2011, 05:27 PM
i have got an odyssey pc680 going spare if anyone wants it. i got it to put on my saab motor but it doesn't have enough grunt to hack over the saab motor as it needs 500 cold cranking amps and the odyssey only has around 300cca. should start a zetec, cvh, pinto etc

DaddyA
2nd February 2011, 06:03 PM
Hi Ash,

I might be interested. PM sent.

mark
2nd February 2011, 07:44 PM
i have got an odyssey pc680 going spare if anyone wants it. i got it to put on my saab motor but it doesn't have enough grunt to hack over the saab motor as it needs 500 cold cranking amps and the odyssey only has around 300cca. should start a zetec, cvh, pinto etc

Is it new or an old one as they have a great reputation for starting most engines from cold and have been used successfully on v8 engined cars too

I always assumed (probably wrongly!) turbo charged cars turned over easier due to them having a low compression ratio

Im not too clued up on the difference between cold starting amps etc but apparently it can supply 680amps for the first 5 seconds, its got enough grunt to get my st engine into life as quick as my old mahoosive bosch battery anyway :)

AshG
2nd February 2011, 09:38 PM
yep was new fully charged etc etc. it does turn it over but just not enough for it to catch. the saab needs 500cca standard holding current not peek, plus i have the draw of 4 stupidly power hungry vw sequential coils, megasquirt 3, 4 huge injectors, a pwm idle valve, etc etc

the vw coil packs alone can make the lights flicker in test mode on full chat as each one has a built in igniter. i did think it was the supply cables to the starter at first but after replacing them for stupidly big 10mm core cables it didnt make a difference.

i have had 2 offers for it within 2 mins of each other. ideally i would like to test it on another car before i let it go just to make sure it is ok. i would rather it go back to the place i got it from than it go to someone i know and not be fit for purpose.