PDA

View Full Version : Immobiliser

Jeze2903
3rd February 2011, 05:50 PM
I've been told that to comply with IVA regs the car needs an immobiliser. Reading the IVA manual it appears to say the ignition switch and steering lock would be ok.
Have I understood this correctly?

DaddyA
3rd February 2011, 06:34 PM
Jez,

you'll get through IVA with a steering lock and ignition switch. You can have an immobiliser as well, but you'll have to prove it complies with certain regs!

Fit one after:) Less they have to check more chance you'll pass.

Jeze2903
3rd February 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks Daz, that's just what I wanted to hear:)

There's going to be a lot of jobs to do once the IVA's been done ;)

JHewitt
4th February 2011, 08:54 AM
I had thought about fitting an alarm/immoboliser, and was hoping to fit a motorbike imoboliser, as seems ideal and not too expensive.
http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/
May be some ideas here for you.
I had emailed an enquiry and got this response. Was about £30 I think, I imagine they are upto scratch regs wise.

We get quite a few buying for kit cars to be honest.

I would recommend one of the Cyclone V2 types ( or advanced V3 if you need the proximity sensing and paging functions )

When you order please remind us that it is for a kit car.

flyerncle
5th February 2011, 08:30 PM
Check IVA manual,I think you will need a certificate for the fitting of any system by certified fitter.

baz-r
5th February 2011, 08:41 PM
i found out the stearing lock was broken on my sierra :( then found out you can buy the zinc casting on the end of the colum (£40) its the same for both types of colum it comes off with a couple of wacks with a soft face
got me a sh lock of ebay with no keys and removed the lock and switched it over
15 quit inc postage :rolleyes:

davedew
5th February 2011, 09:52 PM
I think in the latest iva revision that the need for a certificate of installation by an approved person has been removed. Just think you need an ec compliance certificate from the manufacturer. They are normally in the box.

HandyAndy
5th February 2011, 10:04 PM
I think in the latest iva revision that the need for a certificate of installation by an approved person has been removed. Just think you need an ec compliance certificate from the manufacturer. They are normally in the box.

Would this compliance certificate be needed for an electrical cut off switch? as I,ve fitted one but don,t have any certificate for it.

cheers
andy

davedew
5th February 2011, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't have thought you would need one for that Andy. Just make sure that things like hazards, that must work when ignition off work with master switch off. They might ask you to remove it at iva to check.

HandyAndy
5th February 2011, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't have thought you would need one for that Andy. Just make sure that things like hazards, that must work when ignition off work with master switch off. They might ask you to remove it at iva to check.

:eek: thats something I,ll need to address then :o , as my cut off switch currently kills everything, hadn,t thought about hazards to work without it,

thanks for the reminder :cool:

cheers
andy

David_17
6th February 2011, 07:08 PM
:eek: thats something I,ll need to address then :o , as my cut off switch currently kills everything, hadn,t thought about hazards to work without it,

thanks for the reminder :cool:

cheers
andy

Interesting, can anyone confirm that? As mine's the same as HAndys :confused:

mark
6th February 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes thats true, you dont need it for iva your steering lock and your key are your two methods of security

You should have fitted the kill switch after iva!

I had one fitted under the dash at my iva but i boxed in under the dash so it couldnt be seen, then i removed the covers after iva so i can shut it off when i like

If you have already done it you could fit a 10amp fuse across the shut off switch, this would let your hazards etc work but would blow if someone tried to start the car

David_17
6th February 2011, 07:55 PM
Do you mean just put an inline fuse between the 2 contacts of the switch?

mark
6th February 2011, 08:21 PM
Yes as that would let your hazards work even with the isolator off

Not sure what mr iva would have to say if he saw it though, if its not too much trouble just remove it until afterwards

baz-r
7th February 2011, 10:20 PM
just conect both cables on just one of the studs for iva then its on all the time then put it back after :D simples