PDA

View Full Version : New Bonnet - Saturn

spud69
13th February 2011, 07:34 PM
Well its finally done, started by Mark (Fabbyglass) and at last its complete.

New Bonnet shape for roadster with the wider and longer scoop to allow for larger engines, also looks a bit meaner on the car to. We've had a good measure and should fit over the Sierra DOHC engine without any mods, Enoch is going to be the first one to try soon so we should know for definite soon.

Bonnet has been put up on the website and can be purchased separate or as part of the full kit.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/5442595454_577fe07032_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5442593220_711d03afbe_z.jpg

Andrew

fabbyglass
13th February 2011, 07:38 PM
Wahey.............:cool: And Andy it will fit I had one at the time;) It will also cover a V8 Rover and better option for bike engined cars as more room for an airbox or filter

whitstella
13th February 2011, 07:41 PM
that would look good with any engine nevermind a DOHC. :D

carlknight1982
13th February 2011, 08:43 PM
And theres your answer to what happened to the rest of the gel coat of my color spud! :P

adrianreeve
13th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Wish that'd been around when I got my bonnet - bugger!!

Looks great does that!

Cheers

Adrian

spud69
13th February 2011, 08:47 PM
And theres your answer to what happened to the rest of the gel coat of my color spud! :P

Sorry Carl but its pale blue not Anthracite Grey that one.....:p

I might be able to get a sample pigment colour sent for your dash Carl

carlknight1982
13th February 2011, 08:49 PM
Bugger

Tell you what it looks bloody close doesnt it :P

Andy_B
13th February 2011, 08:54 PM
WOW i want one ! ! will it fit over DOHC + Plenum chamber ? in the middle of researching alternatives !!

Bonzo
13th February 2011, 08:58 PM
Cool, cool, funky, funky :cool: :)

As Will Smith said in the film, Independence Day .... I gotta get me one of those :D :D

twinturbo
13th February 2011, 10:33 PM
I wish that had been arround too when I got mine...:rolleyes:

Looks good Andy :)

TT

james3004
13th February 2011, 10:37 PM
I was going to make mine from alli, but think I might reconsider that now!

rapidtornado
13th February 2011, 11:39 PM
looking v.nice... Dave hurry and and get it on your beast we are all waiting with baited breath :D

Great job Andy :cool:

rapidtornado
13th February 2011, 11:42 PM
Andy
When you get chance would you be able to give us the dimensions at the front of the bonnet to the top rail, just want check the height as I haven't finialised my engine brackets yet and this will determine how much I drop below the rails

Cheers mate ;)

Rapid

RAYLEE29
14th February 2011, 09:31 AM
looking good there Andy. personally i want my bonnet to have no bulge at all but thats just me being awkward
Ray:)

spud69
14th February 2011, 10:37 AM
Andy
When you get chance would you be able to give us the dimensions at the front of the bonnet to the top rail, just want check the height as I haven't finialised my engine brackets yet and this will determine how much I drop below the rails

Cheers mate ;)

Rapid

Hi Rapid, the dimensions of the scoop are:

90mm from front of bonnet
60mm deep and 220mm wide at front
280mm wide 300mm from front of scoop.

Hope that helps.......Andrew

Andy_B
14th February 2011, 11:29 AM
Andy

Cheers mate ;)

Rapid

Any chance i could take a peak at your engine mounts ..am at the same position

Twin
14th February 2011, 03:25 PM
Well, looks like I may have to start saving :rolleyes:

Enoch
14th February 2011, 03:47 PM
I have already done some dimension checking with Andy. My sump is about 40mm below the bottom rails. The objects that cause clearance problems with the engine at that height are the cam covers (only at the front for about 120mm) the fuel regulator and the breather pipe at the back of the cam covers. The engine lifting eye at the front also gets in the way. From the measurements Andy gave me there is sufficient clearance for all those bits. I will be trying it out within the next week - 10 days and will report back but it all seems to be ok from what I know so far. I reckon it will look pretty decent too :)
Hope that helps.
Enoch.

Spikehaus
14th February 2011, 06:00 PM
I will get one of those on order over the next few weeks, its should almost contain my v6 engine. Cheers, Totally missed the thread before:)

David_17
14th February 2011, 07:19 PM
Looks nice Andy. Any pics of it with the rest of the body work? Also, will you get chance to do me a white one sometime to collect friday?

spud69
14th February 2011, 11:06 PM
Hello David,

You are quick off the mark. The pic of the bonnet i put up had a few marks from the mold and needed the front edge extending in the mold to give 10mm more clearance on the front of the scoop for trim. I've been re-working the mold today and will be ready for a bonnet to sell in a week or so.

Cheers....Andrew

monsterob
15th February 2011, 02:06 AM
Looks mighty fine that ! Looks like its going to be a great seller ! Im sure ill be needing one of them soon

james3004
19th February 2011, 11:50 AM
How would you go about cutting the hole out for the scoop, and making it look tidy?

spud69
19th February 2011, 12:11 PM
For any scoop James use a cup drill from B&Q, just steady and on slow speed. Drill the pilot first on its own then use the cup drill with the pilot hole as a guide and slowly let the cup drill into the fibreglass. Cover the area in masking tape first and mark the area to be cut, then cut out the 2 lines between the holes with a grinder and metal cutting disk. Finish off edge with 120 grit paper. Same for all holes, ie sides and rear panel.

Will come out fine....Andrew

rapidtornado
19th February 2011, 06:14 PM
Hi Rapid, the dimensions of the scoop are:

90mm from front of bonnet
60mm deep and 220mm wide at front
280mm wide 300mm from front of scoop.

Hope that helps.......Andrew

Thanks Andy, much appreciated ;)

spud69
24th February 2011, 10:05 AM
Well, the first bonnet is out of the Rev 2 mold for the new bonnet....:D

First one is going to Enoch for trial fitting of the DOHC engine. Should be fine.

The bonnet shown is the first one out the mold and is still a little dull, the mold needs some extra buffing, waxing and working in but looking good.

Andrew

Bonzo
24th February 2011, 10:19 AM
That is looking a treat Andy, well done mate :) :)

The new bonnet looks like it will solve quite a few clearance issues on a lot of builds ;)

Tis nice watching the Saturn product range expand :cool:

spud69
24th February 2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ronnie,

It's nice to put new products to the market place to, keep the roadster developing and not become stagnant. Also makes a change not to be working on the same things day in and day out.

Will be good to see your new build coming on, should be zooming along with a Handy chassis pack.

Cheers....Andrew

fabbyglass
24th February 2011, 11:05 AM
Now "thas ansum" as they say In Cornwall:)

Enoch
25th February 2011, 03:31 PM
Well, I now have the new bonnet from Saturn, my God that Spud guy knows what he is doing:) Looks damn fine, in my opinion. I can say with certainty that it clears all the nasty sticky out bits on my DOHC / MT75 combo fitted with my modded manifold. It looks like it will clear a standard manifold, I am in the process of verifying that info. When I have done so I will measure my engine relative to some fixed points on the chassis so that other builders should find the process much easier.
As soon as I have found a couple of hours to get in the garage I will update this thread with the full SP.
Dave.

Bonzo
25th February 2011, 03:54 PM
Great news Dave :)

Sounds very promissing indeed .... Gonna help with some clearance issues that's for sure :cool:

I eagerly await a photo of the fitted bonnet :)

Enoch
3rd March 2011, 04:08 PM
Well sorry to everybody that is waiting to hear about how the new bonnet fits, I have knackered my back so have not been able to get in to the garage.
Those of you that have attempted to fit the DOHC engine will know that the cam covers, distributor, fuel pressure regulator, plenum and cam cover breather all get in the way of a standard bonnet. I can confirm that the new bonnet gets around all these issues except the plenum. The plenum is so far back and comes 125mm from the mating face of the engine block so for any bonnet to completely miss it the bulge would have to be absolutley huge. It does however make modding it much easier as it is only the very top bit that would have to come off. My mod (see www.deepfolly.co.uk) allows the bonnet to fit perfectly, I think the bonnet looks great. I will be taking some photos soon, sorry again for the delay but I hurt. A lot.
I will take some measurements so that I can confirm that a DOHC + MT75 will fit under the bonnet if the same measurements are adhered to. Will put them here as soon as I have them.
Enoch

Bonzo
3rd March 2011, 06:26 PM
Sorry to read that you are crook Dave :(

Been a martyr to those kind of problems for years & know how you are feeling mate :eek:

Hope you are back on your feet real soon :)

flyerncle
3rd March 2011, 08:37 PM
Enoch,we have had the bonnet on a Zetec and there is a fair amount of room underneath it,Spud did have a quick look and may give you a better idea.

Enoch
3rd March 2011, 09:36 PM
Cheers Ronnie. It's a times like this that self employment doesn't seem like such a good idea:)
I am sure the Zetec fits very comfortable as will a good sized v6 or V8 I reckon. It's just that bloody sticky up plenum chamber on the DOHC that's teh nightmare. A plenum mod is actually quite easy to do so it's certainly not all bad news. The bonnet looks fantastic and it does get over nearly all the clearance issues with ease.