PDA

View Full Version : Football team?

Chris Gibbs
24th March 2008, 02:58 PM
I don't want to start any arguements but are any members of the forum football supporters?

My name's Chris and I'm a Sheffield Wednesday supporter.

*applause from the rest of the group*;)

I've been watching them for forty years through thin and thin (actually we we're quite good in the early 90's, came third in the league and got to three cup finals, winning the league cup in '91).

Were currently rubbish and have been for some time.

I've got a season ticket which makes me a prime idiot. 20.000 people and I trail down to Hillsborough every other week and sit through the same old tat - why I don't know.

Well actually I do. I blame my Grandad.

He first took me to the ground when I was three years old, and I remember it vividly. The thing that struck me most was the pitch, it was GREEN!!

Now that must seem obvious to you, but at that time we had a black and white TV and all the football I'd ever seen had been in monochrome. Seeing the perfect green rectangle took my breath away. I had a pie and a bovril (pies have been a passion of mine ever since, as my poor old belt will testify:) ) and we won.

I started to go to all the home games and then eventually my dad took me to an away game.

Boxing day 1970, Hull City away.

It was all going so well. 20 minutes to go Hull City 1, Sheffield Wednesday 4.
But Hull got three goals in the last 20 minutes, 4 - 4.

My Grandad said "he's never coming again - he's a bloody jinx!!!"

Throughout my teenage years I followed the team from Shrewsbury to Southend, Carlisle to Charlton, mostly avoiding the trouble that plagued the game at that time, but not entirely.

I still go to the odd away game and my eldest daughter has a season ticket too. I fact I met my wife at Hillsborough when she stood in my space on the terraces!

Basically I need help:)

cheers

Chris :)

UncleFista
25th March 2008, 10:25 AM
In the early nineties I "followed"[1] Wednesday, my best mate was/is an Arsenal fan.

Oh the pain. The mighty Arse against poor Wednesday (seemingly every week) Hirst playing 20 minutes every few months, Warhurst was promoted from defence to play up front, Graham Turner called him up and then he refused to play in defence again.
The real "pull" for me was watching Chris Waddle, my favourite ever player :)

Losing 2 cup finals to Arsenal with such a short time was hard, my mates were merciless, the only smile I had was donkey adams dropping Steve Morrow during the celebrations and breaking his arm ;)

I'm not a great footy fan anymore ;)

[1] "Fan" is too strong a word ;)

P Davies
25th March 2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry Chris but Sheffield Wednesday has always annoyed me as they were the only team I never could get all the players to complete my Panini sticker album as a boy :D
personally I never really followed any one team.. Favourtie players though... Barnes, Waddle, Beardsley and Le Tissier..

Chris Gibbs
25th March 2008, 12:27 PM
Yep, Chris Waddle was my favourite player.

I've been lucky enough to meet him a few times, the last a couple of weeks ago when he played against my cousin's team. He lives near me in Sheffield.

Yes, he's still playing and I think he could probably still do a job in the league. He looked Knackered, but then he always did!!

Cheers

Chris ;)