PDA

View Full Version : classic paint on modern roadster

baz-r
20th February 2011, 05:17 PM
i have been thinking on what colours to go for
always fancyed british raceing green (not metallic) with a yellow nose cone and silver chassis, roll bar and arms
with some minilite style wheels in silver or yellow

what does everyone thing would it look right or like a tacky lotus rip off

minicountryman1961
20th February 2011, 06:30 PM
I love green with yellow, but I live 5 miles from John Deere World Headquarters and green with yellow here doesn't mean Lotus, it screams John Deere tractor.

I have decided to go with Allis Chalmers tractor orange for visibility on the road. Tractor restoration paint is available at the local farm supply store lots cheaper than custom mixed paint at the paint store.

fabbyglass
20th February 2011, 06:46 PM
Black nosecone, black cycle wings, black rear wings with telemagenta sides,bonnet,scuttle and rear panel....;)

HandyAndy
20th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Sounds nice Baz, :)

Go with what YOU want the car to look like, its your car, I wouldn,t say its a Lotus "rip off".... there,s no doubt that colour scheme is striking & easily identifies its origin....nothing wrong with that :cool:

I intend my single seater to have the JPS black/gold colour scheme, even tho the colour scheme wasn,t on cars of that era.....Its in my head & I think it,ll look smart :D so I,m gonna do it.

cheers
andy

alga
20th February 2011, 09:16 PM
If you want a classic appearance, BRG & yellow will give you that. I don't think it's a ripoff, not any more than the Roadster design itself is a ripoff. Call it a homage.

Myself, I'm really drawn to the classic German silver with blood red nose stripe and wings. But then some obnoxiously bright colour would be better for visibility and a more modern look. I don't think anyone would call something "classic" if it's painted in Kawasaki green for instance :)

ozzy1
21st February 2011, 12:50 AM
http://locost.lt/mach7_colour_final_1.0.swf

minicountryman1961
21st February 2011, 01:16 AM
http://locost.lt/mach7_colour_final_1.0.swf

Ozzy, that is very cool!

Davey
21st February 2011, 06:42 AM
Classic Lotus colours with Minilites sounds pretty good to me mate. Mine is going to be black and crimson just like my camper van but I haven't fully decided on which bits will be which colour.

D.

aerosam
21st February 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm gonna go with a shark head painted on the sides of the nosecone, and a belle girly on the sides of the cockpit.

I could then paint little X 's on every time I beat a production sports car on the track :D

Nahh seriously I'm very close to painting mine and i still can't choose a colour scheme, all I know is that the aluminium is staying unpainted, for now.

RAYLEE29
21st February 2011, 01:38 PM
Baz theres nothing wrong with the classic look and I was thinking of doing similar with a set of rs 4 spokes that i have lying around but then found 13"s wouldnt fit so I decided ages ago on kawasaki green and black
its your car paint it how you like some will love it some wont! who cares its yours you built it youll be driving it just put up some pics when its done
Ray:)

baz-r
21st February 2011, 04:22 PM
Black nosecone, black cycle wings, black rear wings with telemagenta sides,bonnet,scuttle and rear panel....;)

im still trying to work out if your joking or not fabby

anyone have any idea what the RAL9006 white aluminum gel coat would come out like?
would it be uniform metalic or patchy swirly paterns after lamination?

monsterob
21st February 2011, 07:37 PM
that link is fandabidozeee ozzy ive been looking for one of them for ages !!!

top man:D

fabbyglass
22nd February 2011, 10:14 AM
im still trying to work out if your joking or not fabby

anyone have any idea what the RAL9006 white aluminum gel coat would come out like?
would it be uniform metalic or patchy swirly paterns after lamination?

Nope it looks cock on tele magenta is a kinda pinky purple.

Ally gel coat is pants and needs to be sprayed, if you have ever used ally paint then you will get my drift. I tried ally gel years ago as wanted to do my car ally and black but the gel swirls as you brush it and like any messing about with odd effects with gel you don't know till it's made and popped from mould.

I have sprayed gel coat on wave skis and the effects you can get are wicked BUT as it's sprayed it tends to be thin so any scratches tend to show the colour underneath. Oh and spray gel stinks far worse than brushing gel....

baz-r
22nd February 2011, 01:31 PM
um yes fabby ral 4010 it is a little less bright than i was thinking
you could get a ann summers vynal logo to go down both the sides it would be quiet apt for the colour PMSL:D

with the matalic thats is exactly what i was worried about all the swirly patterns :( nevermind thats plan b out the window

fabbyglass
22nd February 2011, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=baz-r;53745]um yes fabby ral 4010 it is a little less bright than i was thinking
you could get a ann summers vynal logo to go down both the sides it would be quiet apt for the colour PMSL:D

with the matalic thats is exactly what i was worried about all the swirly patterns :( nevermind thats plan b out the window[/QUOT

You can get metallic gel but it needs to be sprayed and so does the ally effect one.

A single seater in a cool shade of pastel pink would be ideal for ann summers logos.......especially with a "buzzin jap bike motor"......:D

jps
14th November 2012, 03:20 PM
Just found this thead via search - that link still works and it is GREAT!!!!! http://locost.lt/mach7_colour_final_1.0.swf

alga
14th November 2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah, that's the best colour tester for the Sevens, strange that McGregor have thrown it away. And I'm glad I saved it while it was still up on their site.

Not Anumber
15th November 2012, 12:11 PM
My Indy needed a few minor grp repairs prompting a repaint so i tracked down the original shade of BRG used by Lotus in the 1960s. The nosecone was already in yellow gelcoat, not a 60's colour but it looks right for the car. When the weather improves i'll recover the dash in red and try to find a matching leather dye for the seats . I prefer the classic look

BORNXenon
16th November 2012, 01:47 PM
Can you paint over the gel coat that the fibreglass panels comes in?
Reason I ask is that I'd quite like mine (several years down the line like) to be finished in Vauxhall Polar Sea Blue.
Was the colour of my old car and it looks ace in the sun. As the engine from that car will be going in the roadster, I thought the coulour may as well find it's way on to it as well!

alga
16th November 2012, 06:09 PM
Yes, you can paint GRP, but why would you want to paint it in a dull, dark, boring family sedan colour?

Not Anumber
16th November 2012, 10:57 PM
Painting mine was no problem at all. You just have to make sure that any surface cracks in the gelcoat are prepared and filled as any small cracks and bits of crazing in the gelcoat would show through.
Though i do like the style of a gelcoat finish there are advantages to painting as you no longer have to live with the small nicks and scratches which inevitably build up in high impact areas of the gelcoat after a few years of driving.

Vinyl wrapping is also a good option; not as huge a colour choice as paint but it works out a lot cheaper than a professional respray, looks just as good and has the option of pearescent or carbon fibre effect finishes.

equinox
17th November 2012, 09:30 AM
Nope it looks cock on tele magenta is a kinda pinky purple.

Ally gel coat is pants and needs to be sprayed, if you have ever used ally paint then you will get my drift. I tried ally gel years ago as wanted to do my car ally and black but the gel swirls as you brush it and like any messing about with odd effects with gel you don't know till it's made and popped from mould.

I have sprayed gel coat on wave skis and the effects you can get are wicked BUT as it's sprayed it tends to be thin so any scratches tend to show the colour underneath. Oh and spray gel stinks far worse than brushing gel....

We do a lot of spray gel with the glitter jewels for fair ground rides and thought the RAL9006 white aluminum gel coat would look good, it doesn't you are correct with pants.
The magenta is pink the same as your printer cartridge, this does look nice its a colour we offer as standard.

BORNXenon
19th November 2012, 01:32 PM
Yes, you can paint GRP, but why would you want to paint it in a dull, dark, boring family sedan colour?

Because Vauxhall Polar Sea Blue is a 2 coat pearlescant paint and it looks lovely.
Its a nice blue colour until the sun hits it and then its a nice purple colour with little speckles in it.

Million times better than a standard RAL colour! :D

robo
19th November 2012, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=alga;80837]Yes, you can paint GRP, but why would you want to paint it in a dull, dark, boring family sedan colour?[/QUOTE

You could call british racing green a dull boring colour but stick a yellow stripe through the middle of the car and it looks great. Everyone would have a different take on whats right colourwise.

Bob