PDA

View Full Version : Am I correct ?

Peter-C
22nd February 2011, 10:46 AM
My wiring loom came out of a K reg 1.8 sierra estate. After ages trying to fathom the thing out using a Haynes Manual I decided enough was enough and purchased a bespoke loom. I now discover that the original appears to be from an earlier car - models up to 1987.

Can this be right ?

Cheers

Peter

deezee
22nd February 2011, 12:31 PM
Did you strip the loom out yourself? The Haynes electrical diagrams are awful. They aren't clear at all and take ages to cross reference all the interlinked pages.

Peter-C
22nd February 2011, 12:33 PM
Yes, I stripped it out myself. It just seems like a Friday afternoon job and they fitted what was available. It wasn't until I was checking the relays that something seemed amiss.

twinturbo
22nd February 2011, 01:17 PM
Post up a picture of the door loom connector, or the connectors from the engine loom to main loom.

Will be able to tell you in a second.

TT

Peter-C
22nd February 2011, 02:52 PM
Are these the two plugs that have 4 and 6 wires in them ?

Cheers

Peter

twinturbo
22nd February 2011, 03:56 PM
If the door loom connectors are blue red and white ( or 2 out of the three ) the that is a >90 loom ( can't remember the early ones off had but think black and white ) also if the ECU loom plugs into 3 black blugs ( 4,8,6 pin) ratehr than a pair of white and green ( 6 and 9 I think ) then it's a >90

TT

Peter-C
1st March 2011, 07:52 PM
The original loom is in bits now so the plugs have gone. I think its an early loom because it has 3 pin flasher unit. Another thing thats confusing is I found a pinout diagram thats contained in this thread
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4606
The pin numbers and wire colours on my column switches are as per the drawings but when I look at the Sierra diagrams in the Haynes manual I cannot find all of these numbers.
This is doing my head in !!

Help !!

Peter

twinturbo
1st March 2011, 09:17 PM
I have just had a look through the official diagrams and the HBL

my official Diags don't go back beyond 89 ( lost the early ones ) but the HBL shows a 3 pin flasher up to 87 which is the last of the MK1's and then a 4 pin after 87 MK2.

It seems very implausible that ford would use a 5/6 year old old stock loom.

So how has it got there?

TT

twinturbo
1st March 2011, 09:18 PM
Have you got a picture of the fusebox? MK1/2 are different.

TT

Peter-C
1st March 2011, 11:23 PM
Cheers TT

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Peter

deezee
2nd March 2011, 08:01 AM
I have just had a look through the official diagrams and the HBL

my official Diags don't go back beyond 89 ( lost the early ones ) but the HBL shows a 3 pin flasher up to 87 which is the last of the MK1's and then a 4 pin after 87 MK2.

It seems very implausible that ford would use a 5/6 year old old stock loom.

So how has it got there?

TT

My 1991 Sierra 1.8CVH donor car, whose loom I've used in my roadster, has a 3 pin flasher relay?

Peter-C
2nd March 2011, 05:13 PM
Attached is a picture of the fusebox

Cheers

Peter

gaz05
10th March 2011, 09:21 AM
That's the same fusebox that I took out of my 1991 1.8 Diesel donor. I'm going to use mine in the car but it took me ages to figure it all out.

Peter-C
10th March 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm making progress slowly. Should pick up at the weekend. Wifes away - no-one to give me jobs around the house !!!