PDA

View Full Version : the ecu

misty
2nd March 2011, 06:46 PM
Hi All
just got the complete wiring incl the ecu for the sierra,is it possible not to use the ecs as it seems very complicated to put together

deezee
2nd March 2011, 07:46 PM
What engine are you using? Are you wanting to use the original induction system? If so, stick with the ECU.

twinturbo
2nd March 2011, 07:55 PM
There is nothing complicated about sierra management looms, either carb or injection they require very little wiring to get the car to run.

Which engine?

TT

misty
2nd March 2011, 08:14 PM
hope to use a 2lt pinto and gearbox just thought i would not use the ecu to keep it simple

twinturbo
2nd March 2011, 08:23 PM
Inj or Carb

Not using the management will complicate things.

TT

misty
2nd March 2011, 08:26 PM
prob carbs i hope

twinturbo
2nd March 2011, 09:38 PM
if you have a hunt on my website you will find a spreadsheet about loom plugs, it was intended to help with fitting a granada 24v in a sierra but it lists the engine hookup plugs and their function.

You will need to register.

TT

tex
4th March 2011, 10:11 AM
if your using carbs there is no wiring or ecu is there not?
the engine uses coil and points - points can be replaced with optical

jasongray5
4th March 2011, 01:53 PM
Depends on yourset up,
If your using something to controll your spark, say, megajolt, then you need wires to the TPS, air temp, coolant temp.
But if you were to use a dizzy, then no, no wiring?
(I probably havent made that very clear)
Hope it helps abit

twinturbo
4th March 2011, 08:11 PM
if your using carbs there is no wiring or ecu is there not?
the engine uses coil and points - points can be replaced with optical

Depends on yourset up,
If your using something to controll your spark, say, megajolt, then you need wires to the TPS, air temp, coolant temp.
But if you were to use a dizzy, then no, no wiring?
(I probably havent made that very clear)
Hope it helps abit

Not so, all sierras have at the very very minimum had transistorized ignition amplification. Most carb models run a variation on ESC ( electronic spark control ) which makes things a little more controled.

No such thing as Points on a sierra unless you go and fit a capri or tina dizzy to a pinto.

CVH and DOHC just have HT distributors with no spark timing control built in. They do need either their correct ESC or EDIS control. or third party spark control

The wiring is easy if you keep the engine loom.

TT

fabbyglass
4th March 2011, 10:31 PM
Just fit a bike engine and be done with it, car engines are toooo heavy and saves all that farting about malarky with wires

les g
4th March 2011, 10:31 PM
if i was gonna run a pinto on carbs
i would give a lot of consideration to a Bestek (PLEASE GOOGLE)
IGNITION/DIZZY SETUP
for years and years all the f2 stockcar and rally boys have been using
carbs and a bestek ignition approx £200 and they do loads of different advance curves to suit your aplication
hth
cheers les g

aerosam
5th March 2011, 07:09 AM
Personally I's stick with the ford EFi system to get you going and on the road. You can always change the setup later.

From experience, i can echo TT in telling you that wiring an EFI pinto lump up is a piece of p1ss.

twinturbo
5th March 2011, 08:14 AM
I ran my 24V V6 on the garage floor with just 4 wires for power and earths. Pinto is no different.

TT

jasongray5
5th March 2011, 11:43 AM
Not so, all sierras have at the very very minimum had transistorized ignition amplification. Most carb models run a variation on ESC ( electronic spark control ) which makes things a little more controled.

No such thing as Points on a sierra unless you go and fit a capri or tina dizzy to a pinto.

CVH and DOHC just have HT distributors with no spark timing control built in. They do need either their correct ESC or EDIS control. or third party spark control

The wiring is easy if you keep the engine loom.

TT

I wasnt exclusively talking about seirra's

monsterob
6th March 2011, 12:03 AM
:eek: bloody hell you lot want to chuck a honda vtec into a mini clubman and make your own loom.

minis use ford edis to make them run in the wet with a bit of megajolt !!

im mocking as ive still got a full omega wiring loom in the loft and the haynes diagram is pants as usual at least with the honda i had the manufacturers manual pdf. still ill leave that bridge untill i try to swim under it !!!!

:eek: