PDA

View Full Version : New shape bonnet pics.

David_17
19th March 2011, 08:13 PM
Unless i've missed it, I don't think anyone's posted a pic of the new shape Saturn bonnet on a car.

Mine's in my build diary below if anyone wants a look. :)

EDIT: Here's a few more, now the stripes are on...

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Photo0466.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/David_17UK/Photo0469.jpg

AshG
19th March 2011, 10:41 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-aZb3t7jCHLM/TYUF9vzcjmI/AAAAAAAAAJw/UekuxGnuMdU/s1600/Photo0452.jpg

monsterob
20th March 2011, 01:32 PM
Your car looks amazing ! Im just gutted that the bonnet still isnt going to cover my engine :-(

Airhead
20th March 2011, 02:48 PM
Does that fit straight onto the existing chassis?

David_17
20th March 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yep it fits the standard chassis, its the scoop thats a different shape and size.

Dave.

james3004
20th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Car looks realy good, I'm tempted to make mine white but with black arches and wheels, not sure tho may just go with all white like you have :)

John.W
21st March 2011, 08:00 PM
That looks the muts nuts and the bonnet just sets it off. Do you know if it will fit over a 2.0 Pinto with EFI?

fabbyglass
21st March 2011, 08:36 PM
That looks the muts nuts and the bonnet just sets it off. Do you know if it will fit over a 2.0 Pinto with EFI?

yessum it should

Wgroove
22nd March 2011, 06:35 AM
Nice Bonnet !!
I really like it !
When i get to that point in my build, i think i'm gonna buy one !
Nice job ! :)

Greetz,

Wim

minicountryman1961
22nd March 2011, 07:11 AM
When i get to that point in my build, i think i'm gonna buy one !

Best time to buy parts for your car is when they are available. If you wait, as I have, you may find out that they are no longer available and you will be kicking yourself.

Companies go out of business waiting for people to get around to ordering stuff.

Enoch
22nd March 2011, 08:40 AM
Johnw, the new bonnet does not clear the standard efi manifold. It clears the cam covers, injection rail fuel regulator, rear cam cover breather and everything else but the standard manifold still gets in the way. It is easier to mod the manifold with the new bonnet but that lump of alli is a real pain. My engine is set so the sump is 40mm below the level of the bottom rails. I did post about this a couple of weeks back, there is more info in my last post.
Enoch.

spud69
22nd March 2011, 09:41 AM
Thats nice to see thanks David after all the work its taken, makes it all worth while. Car is looking real good to and a couple of black stripes will really set it off.....:)

Have just taken one of the new bonnets out of the mold in Rape Yellow, RAL 1021, and looks really good. Just wish we could be getting single seater bodies out of the mold......:(

Cheers....Andrew

AshG
22nd March 2011, 10:40 AM
you can :D you just haven't got anyone to sell it to :D YET!

fabbyglass
22nd March 2011, 10:53 AM
you can :D you just haven't got anyone to sell it to :D YET!

Why not it

John.W
22nd March 2011, 07:01 PM
Johnw, the new bonnet does not clear the standard efi manifold. It clears the cam covers, injection rail fuel regulator, rear cam cover breather and everything else but the standard manifold still gets in the way. It is easier to mod the manifold with the new bonnet but that lump of alli is a real pain. My engine is set so the sump is 40mm below the level of the bottom rails. I did post about this a couple of weeks back, there is more info in my last post.
Enoch.

Hi Enoch, thanks for the answer but are the dimensions for the PINTO SOHC EFI the same as for the DOHC EFI? I thought the DOHC head would be wider and the big lump of alloy sticks out on the opposite side to the Pinto if i'm not mistaken.

Regards

John

fabbyglass
22nd March 2011, 07:18 PM
How much is a single seater body set Andy?

spud69
22nd March 2011, 08:19 PM
How much is a single seater body set Andy?

Dont know yet Mark, haven't yet really thought about it. The 6 piecer, cockpit / nose, engine cover, 4 wheel arches, should be about the same as a 10 piecer mainly due to all the extra work that is in the nose and cockpit.

Sounds like you have some ideas Mark......;)

Andrew

Enoch
23rd March 2011, 08:32 AM
JohnW, the DOHC is bigger than the pinto in all dimensions. I have not seen the SOHC inlet close up for a long while - I can't remember if it is as huge as the twin cam one. I would have thought it should be nearer the centre line as the head on the pinto is much narrower. If you can measure from the centre of your engine to the outer edge of the manifold I should be able to compare that measurement on my car. If you have your scuttle and nose cone you could also run a straight line and measure how high the inlet sticks up above the normal bonnet line.
Enoch.

fabbyglass
23rd March 2011, 09:20 AM
Dont know yet Mark, haven't yet really thought about it. The 6 piecer, cockpit / nose, engine cover, 4 wheel arches, should be about the same as a 10 piecer mainly due to all the extra work that is in the nose and cockpit.

Sounds like you have some ideas Mark......;)

Andrew

No i can't undo this straight jacket but means my head goes into overdrive so full of daft ideas and questions like what came first the chicken or the egg and how many space blokes did it take to make the pyramids, you know, sensible stuff like that...:)

flyerncle
23rd March 2011, 07:11 PM
You should read "Was God an astronaut" Mark,allowing for removal of said straight jacket of course.

David_17
24th March 2011, 07:42 PM
Added a couple of pics to the first post now the stripes are on. :cool:

HandyAndy
24th March 2011, 07:50 PM
Your Roadster is looking fantastic Dave :cool:

may i ask where you got the stripes from please, & how much? :o fancy having black ones on mine :)

Are you intending to fit an Aeroscreen?

cheers
andy

David_17
24th March 2011, 07:54 PM
Cheers Andy.

The stripes were £1.25 per meter off ebay, ordered 8m so i had a bit spare for if i wasn't happy with a bit. Total including postage was £12.80

Yes, i forgot, was going to ask about aero screens on here. Are they IVA safe with edge trim on?

shh120m
24th March 2011, 07:57 PM
looks great david, hell of an achievement, i hope i can get mine to the same stage this summer. Whats your tail lamps, defender? Also have you still got the details of the guy who made your tank? as mine is now in the way of the roll bar stays so il have to mount it in the same place as yours.

cheers

nathan

David_17
24th March 2011, 08:00 PM
Cheers Shaun. His email address is paultalbot390@blueyonder.co.uk. Mine was a tight fit with the fuel tank / pump / filter, just managed to squeeze the rear stays in.

HandyAndy
24th March 2011, 08:01 PM
ok cheers, I,ll have a browse on ebay for black vinyl.

I think forum member "Mark" had an aerocreen fitted for his IVA, & passed first time ,
I,ve fitted mine & as you say, have fitted edge trim, in fact its my opinion that having it fitted makes it better for IVA as it hides the wing mirror & center mirror mounting points as can,t get the test sphere to them ;) :)

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
24th March 2011, 08:51 PM
I can do vinyl stripes and even cut "roadster logo" into it so the colour of your bodywork would show as the logo.Bit different to the normal solid lines;)

HandyAndy
24th March 2011, 08:58 PM
I can do vinyl stripes and even cut "roadster logo" into it so the colour of your bodywork would show as the logo.Bit different to the normal solid lines;)

Now that I like the sound of Mark :cool:

Black stripes on my orange bodywork showing the logo......yes please:cool:

Am now thinking main bonnet/rear tub stripes ( 2 of ) & side stripes with the logo, can you work out a price for me please Mark?

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
24th March 2011, 09:05 PM
What width are folk using? As too thin can can look odd and too wide can also look odd also how long as I don't have access to Roadster bodywork anymore:)
Can't for the life of me remember the sizes of the panels:o

Worlds yer lobster so you could have whatever you fancied cut out of the stripes

minicountryman1961
25th March 2011, 04:32 AM
Are you gong to do William and Kate commemorative Roadster decals?

I hear GE is doing a refrigerator!

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/03/24/prince-william-and-kate-middleton-commemorative-refrigerator-hits-the-market/

What width are folk using? As too thin can can look odd and too wide can also look odd also how long as I don't have access to Roadster bodywork anymore:)
Can't for the life of me remember the sizes of the panels:o

Worlds yer lobster so you could have whatever you fancied cut out of the stripes

HandyAndy
25th March 2011, 08:37 AM

How about your own forum username cut into the stripe?? or is that too cheesey :o :D

cheers
andy

flyerncle
25th March 2011, 08:57 AM
Cheddar !!!!!!:p

fabbyglass
25th March 2011, 09:21 AM
More Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeese gromit :D

flyerncle
25th March 2011, 11:53 AM
Rubber for gromit's dude not cheese......:rolleyes:

fabbyglass
25th March 2011, 01:44 PM
Rubber for gromit's dude not cheese......:rolleyes:

Cheese can be used to make anything, just look at what the chinese make..thank you please.:D