PDA

View Full Version : How and where did you learn to weld?

paul the 6th
1st April 2008, 08:53 PM
Now then, I'm new to the forums but I've had Gibbs' book for about 6 months and champions 2 books (BYO off road buggy and sports car) for even longer. I'm finally edging towards a position where I'll have the space and maybe even the time to tackle some of these projects. Living in an apartment has its drawbacks i.e. no garage, currently keeping my sv650 sport in my parents garage... But I'm moving to york in the next month and will have my very own garage.

I'll be purchasing a decent mig welder and building *lots* of mini projects (probably starting on a welder trolley, then upto a trailer, then the off road buggy) before starting out on a Roadster or LoCost. I don't really know anyone with vast welding experience or kit but I'm making enquiries. HSS do a one day welding course for about 230 quid plus vat (which is a bit steep but could well be the only method of learning without enrolling on a full time course). Could anyone recommend an alternative way of learning the basics maybe?

Gibbs mentions enrolling on the vehicle restoration course at Leeds Technology college, but I wouldn't have the time to fit this in around work. They do offer a short course with "welding for beginners" but I need to find out the duration and cost - anyone know much about this?

Anyway, the jist of this post/poll is to see how many people learnt the hard way, do it for a living, or just pretend to know what they're talking about.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info etc :)

TrollyJack
1st April 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi
If you moving to the York area try this link

http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Welding-courses-at-Askham-Bryan-College/hc2_search.adv_search_do/16180339/0/z/5827/p_search_col/search_text/p_pheader_id/181290768/page.htm

But its not too difficult to Mig weld, all you realy need is practice.

Also try this site here, there is a lot of usefull info on getting started

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

TrollyJack
:D

Chris Gibbs
1st April 2008, 09:54 PM
My old boss always said "You could teach a monkey with one arm to mig weld"

And he was right - to a point.

Mig welding is all about setting up the machine and technique.

There have been a few good threads on here about it and those links that Jack has posted are a good source.

Just ask if you need help :)

Cheers

Chris :)

Theoldman
1st April 2008, 10:00 PM
I have completed the short course to MIG level two, Just going back to learn the basics of gas welding to then go on to Learn TIG. They college say that you have to learn gas to master TIG.

Talking too some of the people doing TIG, say that is best way of doing it.

Roll on the 12th April when I start again.

The Old Man :)

paul the 6th
2nd April 2008, 11:54 AM
thanks for the replies so far, the link to hotcourses looks like it could be promising. I'm already on the mig-welding.co.uk forums which have a tonne of information, but everyone seems to agree being taught properly for a few hours is a thousand times better than learning on your own...

UncleFista
2nd April 2008, 01:07 PM
There's no option to vote "by building a car", which is what me and my brother did :)

Seriously, as long as the penetration is good enough it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

You can tell which end we started on on out chassis, the welds get better from the bottom up, and none have failed yet :)

murpia
2nd April 2008, 08:09 PM
I took an evening class that offered gas, MIG & TIG. After 1 night on the MIG it became clear that all you need to learn it was some scrap to keep welding up until you get the hang of your technique in combination with your welder's settings. As I don't have the same welder as the college, better to do that at home.

So I spent the rest of the course playing with the TIG...

Regards, Ian

TrollyJack
2nd April 2008, 08:40 PM
Hi
I have had experience in most types of welding
the most simplest type is Mig its very easy just practice and you will get there
gas is not the easyest
stick is OK for thicker metals
Tig is quite easy once you get the hang of it
But Tig Aluminium is quite hard

TrollyJack :D

les g
2nd April 2008, 08:43 PM
hi paul
once you,ve read up on mig welding
find somebody who can weld and blag a quick tutorial and a go with their gear
you should be able to get the basics really quickly
then practice on scrap/waste material and you will soon get the hang of it
it really is the easiest form of welding
honest
les g

paul the 6th
3rd April 2008, 09:34 PM
top advice from everyone :) me and my partner have handed our application forms in for the house in acomb, west of york. I'll finally have my very own garage - seriously excited lol. Time to look for a welder thinking something along the lines of a clarke 110e (think that's right?) or something along those lines. Could anyone suggest a cheapish & decent supplier of SHS and mild steel plates? if there's anywhere in york so I could stop by and speak with the supplier direct too?

All advice/links/info is appreciated :)

TrollyJack
3rd April 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi
Foxcub has just borght hit steel from a guy at Wetherby at a good price
I will be speeking to him in the next few days will let you have some info if you want.

As for the welder you have mentioned Could be a little low on power for some of the welding that you may require
My welder is a 185amp and that is more than enough
I would surgest you go for a welder of about 150amps

paul the 6th
4th April 2008, 12:42 AM
I need to do a lot more research before buying a welder :) Would a 150 run on a standard domestic power outlet? (I don't have a clue about electrics or power ratings whether you're talking toasters or welders).

Also, info on the whetherby connection would be great. Thanks alot :D

pt6

TrollyJack
4th April 2008, 05:01 PM
Yes you can get single phase welders up and above 200amp

My 185 amp welder runs fine on normal house suppy.

paul the 6th
4th April 2008, 07:13 PM
top banana! cheers :)

snapper
5th April 2008, 10:15 PM
Just finished a 10 week course at Writtle Ag and realise that i need practise.
Arc is good for the thicker stuff, Gas is God but i am meerly a lowly deciple, Mig is, as said before easy if you set it up properly, spend time getting the power and wire speed sorted and check the penetration on same sized scrap, when you are happy have a go. Remember the sound of frying bacon is what you want to hear.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

TrollyJack
5th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Hi
Have spoken to Foxcub today

The guy's name is Karl don't know what the company is called
but his Tel No is 01957 842266 and his Mobile no is 07734 001989