PDA

View Full Version : sierra loom

misty
31st March 2011, 10:53 PM
Hi all,
would i be correct to take the sierra loom and cut off the wires i will not need ie electric windows, boot light etc and just leave myself with the wires i need.what do you think
many thanks

brainbug007
1st April 2011, 07:56 PM
I cut all the crap off mine. It seemed to have alot of plugs that weren't even in use, as if they make the same loom for all cars regardless of spec.

twinturbo
1st April 2011, 08:02 PM
Bin the lot in my opinion.

The engine loom can stay in one bit, but just cut off the 8(9) plugs you need to keep for the roadster

3x Plugs to engine loom
Ingniton loom plug
horn slip ring plug
dash plug (if using sierra dash)
Left lighting stalk plug
Right lighting stalk plug
Brake Resv Plug

Think that's it.

TT

Enoch
1st April 2011, 08:26 PM
I found it easiest to make my own loom but retaining the engine / ecu wiring. There are not many circuits needed, from the front to the back of the car you need side lights, left indicator, right indicator, reverse, fog, fuel pump, brake and 2 wires for the fuel sender. At the front you have the hi and low beam, sides, left and right indicators, horn and fan. You need relays for fan, horn, hi and low, also a flasher / hazard relay. You need to wire up your dash but that's just "tapping in" to the circuits already mentioned plus a couple of wires for temp and alternator. I think it would have taken ages to cut out all the unwanted circuits and to trim down the wires that would be left.
Just my 2p worth.

flyerncle
1st April 2011, 08:49 PM
After spending a full day trying to sort out a Sierra loom to use only the engine sensors and starting and charging to use on the race car I am building I took a complete wobbler and ripped it out to replace it with a purpose made one,neater,easier and much more usefull.

gaz05
1st April 2011, 10:03 PM
I'll be using the Sierra loom with a Mondeo engine loom spliced in for the Zetec engine. My reason for using it is to keep the wiper and heater/blower circuits in case I put a hood on it.

misty
2nd April 2011, 08:27 AM
thanks to all that is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
will start today
many thanks again

brainbug007
2nd April 2011, 10:29 AM
Have fun getting it all out, feeding it thru from the engine and then out the fuse box hole is fun!